PDA

View Full Version : 5 month old with diarrhea--when to call the pediatrician?

mjs64
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
DH and I are visiting his parents on Hilton head island. 5 month old DS went to the beach for the first time today. But he's pooped 8 to 10 times! He usually poops twice a day. No fever and the stool isn't exceptionally funnier than normal but there's been such a hang in frequency. Is this diarrheA? If so do I wait to call the pediatrician till tomorrow? I'm nursing him to sleep now--he's still enduring the time change from California. And so he needs rest. Should I interrupt his sleep to take him to the ER? How worried about dehydration should I be? I'm kind of freaking out. Being so far from home doesn't help. Please advise!

Green_Tea
07-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Did he swallow any salt water? That can cause a big onslaught of poop. So can travel and a big change in routine.

If he's acting fine, has no fever, and the poop is not runny or watery, I would not wake him to bring him to the ER. I think you can watch and wait before calling the ped, but if it would make you feel better, call now!

ETA: is he acting dehydrated? sunken fontanel? dry mouth/eyes/skin? some extra fluids wouldn't hurt, but unless his poop is very watery or he's been refusing liquids, he's probably not dehydrated.

mjs64
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
The pediatrician just told us to use our judgment! I don't know what to do! He's not listless. He did probably get some saltwater, but the frequency of stool started before then. I think were going to let him sleep tonight. Do you think this is okay? When to start on pedialyte? Thanks green tea for your help.

bubbaray
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I would just nurse him on demand tonight and see how he is in the morning. All my kids had funky digestive systems in the heat.

Green_Tea
07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
The pediatrician just told us to use our judgment! I don't know what to do! He's not listless. He did probably get some saltwater, but the frequency of stool started before then. I think were going to let him sleep tonight. Do you think this is okay? When to start on pedialyte? Thanks green tea for your help.

I think that you should make the judgement call based on how he's acting, not the poop situation. If he's acting happy/normal, I would just nurse a bit extra and see how he is in the morning. :hug:

lil_acorn
07-19-2011, 08:42 AM
if it doesn't smell horrible and is super watery, I don't think that's diarrhea. And if he is feeling / acting fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Green_Tea
07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
How was your night, Megan? Has the poop slowed down?

cntrymoon2
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Is there a big change in quantity, or just frequency? If he's pooping a similar amount as normal, or slightly more, in lots of small poops during the day, I would chalk it up to travel and a change in routine.

ETA: I also, would go by behavior. If it's not loose stool, and he's acting fine, I'd just keep an eye on it.

amldaley
07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=mjs64;3202821]DH and I are visiting his parents on Hilton head island. 5 month old DS went to the beach for the first time today. But he's pooped 8 to 10 times! He usually poops twice a day. No fever and the stool isn't exceptionally funnier than normal but there's been such a hang in frequency. Is this diarrheA? [\QUOTE]

It's not exceptionally funnier, huh? Yeah....excessive poop rarely is.

Sorry....I had to do it.

OK, seriously, DD went through a few phases of this (she was a little older than your DD though). It is not diarrhea if it is just MORE than normal. Diarrhea is excessive liquid in the stool.

It could be as PP's suggested that his system is just catching up due to travel and being out of his home environment. That would be very normal. It could be that YOU have been eating differently on this trip and since you nurse him, HE is eating differently.

As PP's suggested, make sure he is not dehyrdrated. Take caution with salt water. And be super careful he doesn't eat sand or put sandy hands in his mouth. Bring wipes and hand sanitizer to the beach. Beach sand has significant amount of e.coli in it. Don't start worrying he has e.coli. Just be careful!

If he is eating well, sleeping well and happy and active, I wouldn't worry about it. If the BM's get loose, water, runny or he becomes lethargic, then take him in.

mjs64
07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
How was your night, Megan? Has the poop slowed down?

Sorry for the delayed update. I following yours and pps' advice finally relaxed and took a vacation! I followed up by calling the regular ped The next day. She wasn't concerned, what with him acting normally and having wet diapers. His poop has still been more frequent than normal, but he's not been dehydrated and it's getting better. As PP said, an increAse in frequency doesn't necessarily mean diarrheA, though his poop has been a bit runny ( and a bit "funny."thanks iPhone!).

Too bad we go home tomorrow! Thanks to you all for your support. You helped me enjoy a vacation.