PDA

View Full Version : Does your daughter want to be exactly like you??

luckytwenty
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
My daughter is five. She worships me. (Silly kid!!) It's kind of sweet and kind of scary. I am far from perfect and it makes me a little nervous to see her imitating me so precisely. We don't look very much alike (I have dark, straight hair, she has a head of gorgeous blond curls) and she says things like, "I wish I looked exactly like you!" (Hah! What I wouldn't do for curls like hers!!)

I'm sure it's all very normal but I want her to value what makes her unique! And as flattering as it can be to see her pulling her Barbie rolling backpack with a baby doll on her hip (my laptop case is a rolling backpack and I'm always pulling it with one hand, carrying her little brother with the other) I also worry about how far I'm going to fall from this pedestal when she's 12 or so!

boolady
07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
No; in fact, she wants to be just like my youngest sister. She informed me the other day that she wanted to live with my sister and BIL, and wanted to be able to visit my other sister and my parents every day. I asked her when we would be seeing her, and she said, "I'll see you sometime." :ROTFLMAO:

In all actuality, we are all very blessed that she has such a great relationship with my sisters and BIL/boyfriendIL and my parents. Despite her expressed desire to essentially be part-time dog with my sisters and parents, she's constantly telling me that she has the best mommy in the world and that if I wasn't her mom, she'd search until she found me. :heartbeat: I think she sees my sister and BIL as younger and with a more interesting lifestyle, that's all. And quite frankly, they work maybe as much as I do, definitely less than DH, and make a ton more money, so if she wants to be like them, she's pretty smart.

momof2girls
07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes and no. DD#1 is 8 years old and a very girly and looks just like me. People are always telling her that she is my twin. On some days she says she wishes she could be cool like her aunts (my sisters) who are "fancy". I am somewhat low maintenance. On other days she tells me how she wants to be just like me. I think anything she says right now is on a superficial level (she wants hair like mine and style like her aunts).
She has mentioned she wants to be a mom when she grows up, but that is it as far as anything beyond the superficial.

ZeeBaby
07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
DD1 is still young, but sometimes she imitates me and it is so precious. I love it lol.

elephantmeg
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
yes! DD is 3 and I think does have the nursing gene-really she is sooo caring and empathetic-it makes me all warm and fuzzy!
But she packs some playfood in a tote bag and gets into the cozy coupe with it and her purse, gives me a kiss and tells me she'll see me in the morning (I generally work straight nights although they have me on dayshift for a while covering someone). I love it when she does that! Oh and she goes "running" too!

Corie
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
no way!

According to my 9 year old daughter, I need to do the following
things more-

1. shave my legs more consistently

2. wear really high heels

3. wear skirts every day

4. buy lots of purses

5. wear make-up

6. paint my nails

My daughter LOVES my sister because my sister does all of
the above.

smiles33
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
She actually admires SIL more because she loves her long, past the bra strap length hair! ;)

The funny part is her preschool graduation had a "yearbook" where each kid answered the same questions, like what your favorite meal is and who you like to play with. There was also a question about what you want to be when you grow up. Most of her friends wrote things like "princess" or "work at Disneyland" but DD1 wrote "Lawyer or Orthodontist" because that's what DH and I do. She's said before she wants to be a lawyer to "keep me company" because DH works with FIL. It's really sweet. On other days, she says she wants to be a lawyer-ballerina-orthodontist-mommy. What a multi-tasker!

94bruin
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
DD1 doesn't exactly want to be like me, but she never wants to leave us. She has repeatedly mentioned that she's not sure if she wants to get married because it would mean that she has to leave us. Although she has mentioned that she could live with us with her husband. (My parents lived with us for the past two years, so it is do-able.)

For a while she wanted to be a princess version of my job. However, she's since moved on and wants to be a "ballerina teacher." And no, she's never taken any dance classes.

DD is 6 years old.

94bruin
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
On other days, she says she wants to be a lawyer-ballerina-orthodontist-mommy.

Ha - ha - mine wanted to be a princess-dentist. No current desire to be a mommy as she's not sure of the pain. She sees my c-section scar and has NO desire for one herself.

Moneypenny
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
DD1 doesn't exactly want to be like me, but she never wants to leave us. She has repeatedly mentioned that she's not sure if she wants to get married because it would mean that she has to leave us. Although she has mentioned that she could live with us with her husband.

DD wants to live with us forever, too (I'm sure that will change sooner than she thinks!) and has decided her husband and kids will either also live with us or have their own house right next door. She used to want to be like me when she was younger, but now she claims she will be like me except she won't make her children do chores and will let them eat sugar all day long. She also claims she will be "more funner" than me.

luckytwenty
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe the issue is she doesn't have any alternative females other than grandmothers (she has aunts, but sees them only a few times a year.) She also said she never wants to leave home. It's really sweet now but I know from my own experience that I will soon enough be gross, out of touch and in need of a makeover!!

g-mama
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
No daughters here, but my oldest ds tells me often that he wants to marry a woman *just* like his mom, and then details the qualities he sees in me that make me the perfect wife and mother. :heartbeat:

elektra
07-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes and no. She has no clue what I do for a living, and she is way girlier than I am. She does say she wants to play softball like me though. It's sweet because she is such a girlie girl- the softball thing really doesn't fit her right now. It's the one way she does seem to want to be like me though.
We look quite a bit alike too which she seems to like.

hellokitty
07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
No daughters here, but my oldest ds tells me often that he wants to marry a woman *just* like his mom, and then details the qualities he sees in me that make me the perfect wife and mother. :heartbeat:

That is really sweet. I suspect one reason my mil and I get along so awfully, has something to do with the fact that I am pretty much the complete opposite of her, lol. I never wanted to be like my mom when I was a little girl though. I think the closest thing was when my mom would get dressed up for dinner parties, I always thought it was cool to see her jewelry, her pretty cocktail purses, shoes, etc, but past that I never really wanted to be like either of my parents. My kids all want to be like their uncles (my brothers), lol.