PDA

View Full Version : Lego City and Creator

tropicalmom
07-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Really excited about the TRU Christmas in July sale. 5 yo DD has recently gotten into Legos and I'm a complete newbie with Legos but the sets she has are the City ones rated 5-12 yo. TRU has the Creator sets (7-12 yo rating) as BOGO 50%. Is this going to be too difficult? Is there a big jump in the difficulty here? She has very good fine motor skills but don't want to overwhelm here. Can save for Christmas when she will be almost 6yo.

toby
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
There will probably just be more steps and more pieces. I have found that the only ones that my 6 year old has gotten a little confused on are on the big sets that are 9 yrs plus. I think that your DD will be fine with the age jump...

alien_host
07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
DD (6) has been completing City and Creator (mostly the houses) sets since she was 5. The smaller City sets are pretty easy for her to do on her own. I help with sets with more than 200 pieces. We do the bigger sets together, she either helps to sort before we build or I might help pick out the pieces for her and she puts it together and I help with harder parts.

katydid1971
07-22-2011, 02:36 AM
The big difference with the creator sets is that you don't have those nice numbered bags that make finding the right piece so much easier. I think as far as construction goes they are about equally difficult. Star Wars on the other hand will often have very elaborate mechanics that you turn a dial and four wings move which is much more difficult IMO. Those are rated 9 years and up I think. I LOVE the city sets. I want the space shuttle set soooooo much but DS isn't that into them, he only wants Star Wars sets now. :(