PDA

View Full Version : DC Parents: Book Signing for Seizure Dog

mommylamb
07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
The family in this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/huffpost-greatest-person-evan-moss-epilepsy_n_901987.html?ref=fb&src=sp is very close friends with very close friends of mine and my DH. Their son, 7 year old Evan, has suffered from terrible epilepsy his entire life. The family has really struggled. I won't go into all the details, but it really is a sad and amazing story.

Right now, his seizures usually happen at night and they are very dangerous. He sleeps with his parents still so that they'll be able to be there and help as soon as a seizure starts, but that will have to end at some point. Therefore, they are hoping to get him a seizure dog that will alert them when he has one. But the dog is really expensive, and medical costs have already bankrupted this family, so they're putting on a fundraiser to help cover the costs.

So, if you're in the DC area, and want to go to a book signing this Sunday 1:00 pm-- 3:00 pm at the Grounded Coffee Shop at 6919 Telegraph Road, in Alexandria (Fairfax County), please come. I'll be there. The cost of the book is $10. If you're not in the area, but still want to buy a book: https://www.createspace.com/3626033

I hope no one minds me posting this. I did ask the mods before doing so, as I wouldn't normally promote any sort of fundraising event.

About the author:
Evan Moss is a 7-year-old boy who has Tuberous Sclerosis and Epilepsy. He began having seizures in his first month of life and by the time he was 4 years old, he was having 300-400 seizures a month. At this young age he underwent brain surgery to control his Epilepsy and he left the hospital seizure-free. He had freedom from seizures for almost 2 years and is now experiencing them again, although less frequently. Evan has 3-4 seizures a month, but because they last several minutes, medical intervention is always necessary to stop his seizures. Evan and his family are very excited about having a seizure dog and believe this new member of the family will keep Evan safe by making sure his parents know when he is having a seizure as well as provide greater independence for Evan.

mackmama
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you for sharing this story and the article. I am so sorry to hear of Evan's struggles with tuberous sclerosis. This family sounds very amazing with so much love.

elektra
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
How horrible for him and his parents. It's probaby worse for the parents actually. :( Hope he gets his dog! (I have seen documentaries about the training of those dogs-it's very interesting)