PDA

View Full Version : American Girl store - Chicago

Moneypenny
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
We've decided to take DD there for her 7th birthday. She's getting a gift card to do some shopping for her dolls and we're having lunch in the cafe. I've never really done this area of Chicago before, so just wondering if anyone has been and has tips on parking, other things to do in the area, etc. (We live close enough to visit just for the day, so no hotel stay needed.)

Thanks!

elephantmeg
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
we stayed with my brother there last summer and did AG store, the lego store and millenium park (splash fountains etc) all on one day. IIRC we walked between all of those things (with a 4 yo and a 2 yo in umbrella strollers). It was a ton of fun! We did not lunch there (packed a picnic and ate at the park). It was the best! Millenium park had stuff set up there for the summer (and it was end of July when we were there)-art, tumbling type equipment, a huge puzzle of Chicago neighborhoods, a play store-all sorts of stuff so that was great.

egoldber
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
There is parking right there in the mall where the store is located. I would personally just park right there.

Older DD and I went to the Hancock Observatory (across the strett) while we were there as well. She loved it. The Contemporary Art Museum is also right around the corner and we did that too. She really dug some of the off beat and unusual exhibits there and they have a really cool gift shop. :)

There is also a really cool toy store (Galt?) in the 500 Shops on Michigan Avenue which is very close by. Oak Tree Restaurant is there too and it is wonderful!

The Lego Store is walkable, but it is a long-ish walk.

Moneypenny
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys! You've given me some good ideas. It looks like Millenium park has Family Fest type stuff every day, so that is certainly an option. If it's a gabillion degrees out, I'll be crabby 'cuz I'm old and can't handle the heat, so we'll do the the art museum instead.

Man, parking is expensive!

Kindra178
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
The Lego Store is walkable, but it is a long-ish walk.

The Lego Store moved to Water Tower Place, so it's pretty close to AG. Grand Luxe Cafe is an upscale Cheesecake Factory, and fun for kids.

mom2binsd
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
I think parking at Water Tower Place might be one of the most expensive, depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend, you might be able to find something a little cheaper closeby. There is this cool website that allows you to plug in your destination and it'll pull up all the parking lots and you can plug in your date/time and it'll tell you what you'll pay.

Try this www.chicago.bestparking.com

I would do the Hancock Observatory, she'll love it.

Cheesecake Factory is at the base of the Hancock Building.

Also, if you like pizza, Giordano's is about 3 blocks down Michigan from AG.