PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gift suggestions for 1 yr old DS that DD won't take over

csnoop
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I am sure this has been covered in other threads. My DD is turning 4 in a couple of days. There are number of gifts for her already. My DS is turning 1 in about 10 days. I haven't gotten him anything yet. We have received $$ from the grandparents which is awesome. But it just seems like we should have something for him to open for his birthday.

Of the more boyish toys, we already have duplos, tool set, balls, old ride-on car (he is just crawling right now so he doesn't know how to use that yet), walker w/blocks, Thomas the train shape sorter, wooden small car/truck. He doesn't seem to play with any of them for a long time. Right now, he just loves to take out everything from the toy bin, chew on anything he can find, take off all the books from the bookshelf.

Is there any other toy that he might enjoy at his age that DD would not be so ready to take over? I am sure DD got A LOT of present when she turned one. Thanks!

CC

sunnyside
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
My little just turned 1 and I got her a pink PBK Anywhere chair with her name on it and about 15 baby books (board books, cloth books, etc).

She also received, but these might have more risk of a takeover, a RF walker wagon, a pink FP pony ride on, and a variety of soft learning toys, wooden puzzles, an electronic toy or three, a few folkmanis puppets, stacking cups and shape sorter, a rubbabu toy car, a Waldorf doll, and a wooden toy tractor with trailer. Just in case you need any more ideas.

citymama
07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Does he have a walker wagon? We got DD2 the Radio Flyer walker wagon for her 1st birthday and she loves it. It's HER toy. The other toy that looks cool is the Zany Zoo busy box - we've played with it at friends' places and DD2 LOVES it.

kaharris83
07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
We just got DS the Zany Zoo for his birthday last Sunday. He likes it, but it does probably run a pretty high risk of being taken over by a 4yo. DH & I can't seem to stop playing with it ourselves.

candaceb
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
What about a push car? DS has a hand-me-down Step 2 Push-Around Buggy that he absolutely loves. I think a 4 year old would be too big for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Push-Around-Buggy-Red/dp/B00000IZEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311116014&sr=8-1

elephantmeg
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM
what about the laugh and learn home?
a small chair
some boy books (DS loved the John Deere ABC/123)

csnoop
07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am interested in the RF walker wagon and zany zoo busy box. DD has this baby walker http://www.plantoys.com/products.php?Id=5123 Would it be too similar to the walker wagon. Also, I looked on the RF website and it says that wagon capacity is 25 lbs. I am almost certain that the first thing DD will do when she sees this wagon would be to climb in. Would a 4 yrs old be able to climb in? Obviously, I don't want her to do that... but if she can't get in, then she will probably enjoy pushing DS around in it.

The Zany zoo box looks cool. I am sure both DD and DS will be very interested in it. It looks like something they can both play at the same time? Maybe?

Chairs are cool but guess we will be sitting on it.....

CC

kristac
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
My 20 month old pushes my 6.5 year old around in the RF walker wagon (and vice versa).

citymama
07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am interested in the RF walker wagon and zany zoo busy box. DD has this baby walker http://www.plantoys.com/products.php?Id=5123 Would it be too similar to the walker wagon. Also, I looked on the RF website and it says that wagon capacity is 25 lbs. I am almost certain that the first thing DD will do when she sees this wagon would be to climb in. Would a 4 yrs old be able to climb in? Obviously, I don't want her to do that... but if she can't get in, then she will probably enjoy pushing DS around in it.

The Zany zoo box looks cool. I am sure both DD and DS will be very interested in it. It looks like something they can both play at the same time? Maybe?

Chairs are cool but guess we will be sitting on it.....

CC

I know it's a birthday gift, but check out CL for the RF wagon. They usually go for around $40 where we are (if in perfect
shape). I found it on amazon.com for $60 shipped new so I decided to spring for it. Dd2 loves it. My 5 yr old pushes her little sis around in it; she's tried to climb in but it's too small for her lanky frame and we've told her not to. It's more sturdy than the Plan walker and you can fill it w a lot of stuff (and a kid!) but generally, it's the same concept. So if you're debating bw the two then the Zany Zoo may make more sense. My 5 yr old loves the ZZ (we don't own one but have played with it at a friend's) and she was able to play w it while 2 one year olds also played with it, so it's not a competitive toy. What I love about the wagon is it encourages them to find ways to play together - big sis pushes little sis or cheers when she walks with the walker. Rare moments of sweetness!

We also got dd2 the plan toys alligator pull toy which the adults love way more than the kids!

csnoop
07-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I will definitely get the zany zoo box. I am hoping to go to Target tomorrow to see it IRL and do some errands there.
Citymama, great idea re: CL. I just did a quick search. There are a couple of sellers selling it for $50. I will check w/DH to see if we should get it.

CC