PDA

View Full Version : Show me what your carry-on looks like

artvandalay
07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Taking a few (kid-free!) trips later this year, in need of a cute, stylish, durable carry-on. I want something lightweight.

I was thinking of this new one from Vera Bradley:

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Travel/Grand-Traveler/1001427/defaultColor/Happy%2BSnails/pc/638/c/0/sc/646/p/1001427.uts#

but one of the reviews said it was a little too big and one of the airlines wanted her to check it. I was also looking at the weekender, but it looks kind of small. I want something I can use for an overnight bag, maybe a short weekend trip, but will also work as a carry-on.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

billysmommy
07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I have this one ~ http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=511014&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-67-_-MP667

I got it at Marshall's for $69.xx. I absolutely love it. I got it when DH and I went to Savannah for 4 nights in April and it was the perfect size. It fits in the overhead bins of all but the smallest planes. It didn't fit in the little puddlejumper we took from Charlotte-Savannah so they gate-checked it for me and it was the only orange among all the black ones waiting when we got off the plane.

I use it for all my overnight and weekend trips also, not just flying

BabyDahl
07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I have this one ~ http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=511014&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-67-_-MP667

That is gorgeous! :)

I usually just take a backpack and shove it under the seat. That orange makes me want a real carryon!

DebbieJ
07-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Jessica Simpson luggage? That's funny!

artvandalay
07-20-2011, 09:11 AM

I got it at Marshall's for $69.xx. I absolutely love it. I got it when DH and I went to Savannah for 4 nights in April and it was the perfect size. It fits in the overhead bins of all but the smallest planes. It didn't fit in the little puddlejumper we took from Charlotte-Savannah so they gate-checked it for me and it was the only orange among all the black ones waiting when we got off the plane.

I use it for all my overnight and weekend trips also, not just flying

Oh I didn't even think about checking out Marshalls! I should totally go there. I love the bright orange color, very cute! This would be so handy if you had to check it, you would see your luggage right away! I never buy black luggage for this reason, I'm so paranoid about someone taking my luggage by mistake!

bubbaray
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
If you do end up with black luggage, I recommend luggage belts. I get neon pink/green ones, usually find them at Walmart.

My work carryon is a black Samsonite. If I were buying now, I'd get a bright colored one. Our (new) checked luggage is black, but I use luggage belts and neon luggage tags on it. Very easy to spot.

ETA: I recently got a LE Flightwise carryon. Haven't used it yet, its a nice size, super light. I also have a VB Small Duffle that could work, but is not the style I like for travel on my own (not the pattern, just the duffle part -- I like organizer pockets).

artvandalay
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
If you do end up with black luggage, I recommend luggage belts. I get neon pink/green ones, usually find them at Walmart.

My work carryon is a black Samsonite. If I were buying now, I'd get a bright colored one. Our (new) checked luggage is black, but I use luggage belts and neon luggage tags on it. Very easy to spot.

ETA: I recently got a LE Flightwise carryon. Haven't used it yet, its a nice size, super light. I also have a VB Small Duffle that could work, but is not the style I like for travel on my own (not the pattern, just the duffle part -- I like organizer pockets).

I will check out LE today, thanks!

DebbieJ
07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
We got our luggage at Costco. My suitcase is purple. :)

mackmama
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I have the Michael Kors Astor Weekender bag and loooove it:
http://www.michaelkors.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod670017&parentId=

BayGirl2
07-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I always find good luggage options at Nordstrom Rack. I have a Kenneth Cole bag from there. They seem to have good brands at reasonable prices.

Although I used to be annoyed by the rolling bags, I wouldn't go without anymore. Definitely much easier to be able to roll than to have something that must be carried. My latest has the spinner wheels and I really like that because it can be pushed too.

Also make sure its sturdy enough that you are comfortable gate checking if necessary. Unless it is sure to fit under the seat in front of you, that is always a possibility as most planes these days don't have enough overhead space to accommodate people trying to avoid the bag check charge.

artvandalay
07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I have the Michael Kors Astor Weekender bag and loooove it:
http://www.michaelkors.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod670017&parentId=

Wow, that is gorgeous. Is it heavy when empty?

artvandalay
07-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I always find good luggage options at Nordstrom Rack. I have a Kenneth Cole bag from there. They seem to have good brands at reasonable prices.

Although I used to be annoyed by the rolling bags, I wouldn't go without anymore. Definitely much easier to be able to roll than to have something that must be carried. My latest has the spinner wheels and I really like that because it can be pushed too.

Also make sure its sturdy enough that you are comfortable gate checking if necessary. Unless it is sure to fit under the seat in front of you, that is always a possibility as most planes these days don't have enough overhead space to accommodate people trying to avoid the bag check charge.

Great idea, I will check out Nordstrom Rack as well. Thanks!

mackmama
07-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow, that is gorgeous. Is it heavy when empty?

It is a wee bit heavy when empty but doesn't bother me too much - and I am pretty sensitive to any extra weight due to a bad back. This bag's just so pretty that I don't care! :)

hannah
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a VB weekender. I find it to be a nice size (big enough for a weekend or as a carry-on). As a carry on I usually put the following in it:
bag of snacks, lunch/dinner, knitting bag, book or my nook, medicines, wallet, phone, ipad, various chargers and cords. I have no problem fitting it under the seat in front of me.
The kids have the rolly carry-on bags from LL Bean which fit beneath the seat in front of them. You probably could fit overnight clothes/stuff for a weekend in there too.