PDA

View Full Version : Preparing girls for first period

robinsmommy
07-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Ack. DD1 is not even nine, and is getting pubic hair, acne, and just starting to bud. Soooo, given that my family hits menarche early ( I was 10, which really stunk, my older sister was 9 :47:), I'm gearing up to talk about stuff and want some supplies for her to keep at school, just in case. Of note, she is super small for her age, 49" and 50 lbs on a good day, so it isn't a case of too much body fat giving a hormone boost. Ped isn't too worried given the family history.

She already has "The Care and Keeping of You", I guess it might be good to have a little more reading material that is more geared just toward the sexuality/puberty stuff. Suggestions? And since DD2 will either find the stuff, or be shown it by DD1, it has to be, well, not too awful for a 4 year old to see. We are not prudes about nudity, she barges in on DH all the time, so that isn't so much what bothers me, I'm more worried about *too* much info on sex. My younger sister had a little too much education in that regard when she got into some books a family friend had intended for my older sister and I.

And what ever happened to those kits we had growing up? With all the pad and tampon samples and the little info book and cycle tracking calendars? The only ones I see are those "Petite Amie" ones at Target.com - super spendy, and only their brand of stuff. I guess I could make my own - I usually use the greener disposable brands/cloth pads/Diva cup....but I don't think those last two are an option for at school until high school or even college. I can only imagine the teasing that could result.

lalasmama
07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm about 99.9% positive they still make little kits like that. I remember the ones they handed out in 5th grade, with the "New Always Teen pad!" It seems like one of the popular pad brands has a "my first period" website that talks about it.... It also seems like I heard that AG has another period-related book, a little beyond "The Care and Keeping of You". My good friend's daughter started young--days before she turned 9yo--so we went on a First-Periods-In-The-21st-Century crash course about 18 months ago, trying to find appropriate books and period "stuff".

I remember as a 5th or 6th grader, I started wanting to have a pantiliner "just in case". (I didn't start until the summer after 6th grade). At that time, Carefree made a "teen" pantiliner that was a fun confetti print. Haven't seen them in ages, but we just bought the "U by Kotex" light liners, and they have cute swirly prints and aren't "thick" at all--really more like that hygiene liner in a bathing suit at the store, with just a little extra absorbency in the middle.

ETA: Search on Amazon--oh my, all kinds of things!

lalasmama
07-20-2011, 12:17 AM
https://www.beinggirl.com/free-samples

Free Always and Tampax samples :)

egoldber
07-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Good question. Older DD is almost 10 and well developed. I think she could start almost any time (I was 10 as well).

We have talked about it in detail what to do if she startes her period at school (ask to go the nurse and they will have things there).

I am also planning to buy her some things for her backpack to have just in case. She said that would make her feel better to have it available.

Corie
07-20-2011, 10:44 AM
I am also planning to buy her some things for her backpack to have just in case. She said that would make her feel better to have it available.

What kind of things would you put in her backpack? My daughter
will be 10 in November so I'm following your lead. :)

egoldber
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I was going to put in a small pad, a couple pantyliners and a change of underwear. Maybe in a small, cute pouch/bag that she could take to the restroom.

robinsmommy
07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks, mamas, those are some good starting points. I do wish that there were the "light" tampons available in unbleached format - I loved the smaller size ones when I first started using them. Maybe if I start writing letters now asking for them.....

I'm also wondering about a red party. Or I could do the "woman's day" thing like Claire Huxtable all those years ago.....

And I had planned on getting some of the U stuff Kotex makes for her to try.

ETA: I can't believe my brain put in "righting" instead of "writing" :duh:.

This looks pretty good:http://www.amazon.com/Dot-Girl-First-Period-Kit/dp/B00461DMQS/ref=pd_sim_hpc_9

I was just hoping to find one of the ones like I had, with all the brands. Haven't seen it yet. I have to say, I am shocked at how expensive the fancy teen pads are. I know I always hit my mom up for the Always for teens one - I guess she just figured it was some small compensation for me starting so young.....

n2ou
07-21-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=pd_sim_b_1

This bestselling guide answers all the questions growing girls have about their bodies - from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bra buying, pimples to periods. It offers guidance about basic hygiene and health without addressing issues of sexuality. Over 3 million copies sold!