PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been on a plane in 13 years ... what do I need to know?

Toba
07-20-2011, 08:51 AM
We travel mostly by car, but we're taking a short trip out to Texas in about 2 weeks. It will be DH, DS, me, my sister and possibly her youngest as a lap baby. We're flying US Airways, which I know charges for luggage. We're only going for 5 days and I was thinking about just taking three carry on bags (one for each of DH, DS and me). Right now, I only have one so I'd have to purchase two more (meaning I might be paying more for a carry on than luggage that I already own).

If I do do the carry ons, what about shampoo, sunblock, etc.?

DH needs to bring his laptop and iPad because his summer semester is ending the day after we get there and has to take a final and finish a long paper. Do those have to be in his carry on, or can he carry them separately onto the plane?

Does my purse count as a carry on?

DS plans on bringing his PSP and/or his DS and I'm bringing my Nook (which I don't think will fit in my purse) ... will they let us bring them on the plane separately or do those also need to go into the carry on?

We obviously paid for a seat for DS, who is seven, but do we need to bring ID for him? I'm not sure what I'd bring ... county sheriff's ID card (for lost children, it includes his picture, height, age, birth date and I think a thumb print), birth certificate, social security card?

Are DH and I okay with just our driver's licenses (with pictures)?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

cuca_
07-20-2011, 09:13 AM
You can bring toiletries in your carry-on, but you are limited by TSA rules to 3.4 oz containers. If you need anything bigger, I would just buy them at your destination. My DD1 recently packed a full size tube of toothpaste in her carry-on (I wasn't aware), and we had to hand it over because it exceeded the size allowed.

I believe in most airlines you are allowed a carry-on and a personal item, so your purse would be allowed, and your DH could also bring a bag with his laptop and iPad.

I always buy my kids seats and never carry their birth certificates with me, but from reading recent threads here a lot of people do. I have never had anyone ask for id for my kids and we travel pretty often. They usually call out their names when we hand their boarding passes at security and have them identify themselves. It would not hurt to bring a copy of his birth certificate, though.

You and DH are fine with your driver's licenses.

I never travel on US Airways, but I usually bring some earphones with me. It is easier to have them from the get go, rather than wait until the flight attendant distributes them, and some airlines do charge for them now.

Also, if you think you or DS might need it, bring a blanket and some sort of pillow. They no longer have them in most airlines, and even if they do, I have heard many reports on how they can be full of germs.

Have a fun trip!

bubbaray
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Re luggage fees, honestly, when travelling with children, just suck it up and pay for checked baggage. Trust me, it will make your travel much easier.

We try to fly with 2 checked bags (max size, not over size and NOT over weight). We also try to fly with one or max two carryon items. If we are taking stroller(s) and car seat(s), we gate check them. One stroller, 2 car seats and one carry on is a LOT to deal with through security. Generally, I deal with the "stuff" and DH wrangles the kids.

I never travel with a purse when I'm with kids. My carryon is a backpack. I pack an empty purse in my checked luggage for use at my destination. Our laptop comes with us in my backpack (in a neoprene sleeve). I'm hoping to get an iPad instead! :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I would just pack one big suitcase vs multiple carry ons. The ability to just drop them off and not have to get around the airport with them is nice. Not having to fight for overhead space is even nicer. I always try to fly Southwest so my bags fly free but I think I am a weirdo and most people seem to like doing carry on. 1 carry on for the family with back up changes of clothes, meds, toiletries is a good idea though.

They change too many rules for me to know things for sure. But, we used to pack a small backpack for ds that had games and snacks and that didn't count towards baggage (it fell into the "purse" category).

I'd put the iPad in your purse or he could bring it on in a bag. You'll have to take it out of the bag when you are going through the x-rays. I'm sure he could just carry it by hand, bag isn't necessary. It'd sure free up hands though if he had something to put it in.

They have bins and you put your shoes, anything metal, your purse, jacket/ cardigan, and electronics into the bin to go through the x-ray. Wear shoes easy to get on and off.

I'd get a bigger purse so you can cram the Nook in. Ds can carry his DS in his bag. Again, you'll need to take them out of your bag(s) before putting them in the x-ray bins.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
\
I never travel with a purse when I'm with kids. My carryon is a backpack.

Duh. It's obviously been a while since I flew with the kids. Same here but I kept my purse packed and in my carry on. I don't use big, bulky purses though.

Beth

egoldber
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Give yourself plenty of time, especially if you haven't flown in a long time. Security can take a long time and the last thing you want is to be in a rush. It's better to wait an hour at the gate than miss your flight!

I would just check your luggage. The you don't have to worry about sizes of toiletries, etc.

Your DH's laptop will need to go through security separately and there are rules for the type of bag it can be in: http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/simplifying_laptop_bag_procedures.shtm

Wear on and off friendly shoes through security. You will have to take off your shoes and walk barefoot (or in socks) through security. I wish I were joking.

You can also not take beverages through security. But you can buy them on the other side for the plane.

Also, many airlines no longer serve meals or charge $$ for snacks/light meals. You can almost certainly use a credit card OR you can buy a meal and carry it on the plane.

You don't need ID for your kids. Really. The only time I have ever heard of them wanting ID is to check the age of a lap baby/child. They cannot require ID for older children.

Lots of good advice here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

cuca_
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd put the iPad in your purse or he could bring it on in a bag. You'll have to take it out of the bag when you are going through the x-rays.

Unlike a laptop, you don't have to take the iPad out of your bag when going through secuirty. It's pretty convenient.

kaharris83
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm in the minority here because we don't check bags. You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item(backpack, purse, small bag) per person. We can fit all we need for the 3 of us into 2 carry-ons and we each have a personal item.

In your case though since you don't already own luggage you may just want to check a bag or two. If you're checking more than one bag make sure you have them checked under a different person's name for each bag. The airlines charge less for the first bag and then it gets more expensive for each bag after that in the same person's name.

As PP have said 3.4oz is the largest size you can bring in a carry-on of liquids, gels, creams, and aersols. The containers have to be that size or smaller. You can't bring a 5oz container that's half empty, even though there is less than 3.4oz in it. The iPad can probably be left inside whatever bag you have it packed in, but if it looks suspicious when viewed on the X-ray with all the other things inside that bag they may pull you aside and check it out. DH and I just take all of our electronics out to save the potential hassle.

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Unlike a laptop, you don't have to take the iPad out of your bag when going through secuirty. It's pretty convenient.

Nice. I always take every electronic gadget out. I guess I should see if I really need to do that!

Beth

vonfirmath
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
If you paid for the tickets with a credit card, TAKE THAT CREDIT CARD With you. It might be needed!

Purses, laptop bags, etc are considered "Personal items" -- ticketed passengers are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal item. So you can take a little purse as your personal item. Or you can stuff that purse in a backpack with other stuff and consider the backpack your personal item... But you can't take a carry on, a purse, AND a laptop bag.

Nice. I always take every electronic gadget out. I guess I should see if I really need to do that!

Beth

I have always taken every electronic gadget out as well. It makes things simpler.

egoldber
07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Each paid ticket gets a carry on and a personal item. So as long as you have no more than 8 carry-on bags (for a family of 4) you are fine.

pb&j
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
If you do check your bags, make sure to pack a change of clothes for everyone in your carry-ons. You will not be allowed access to your checked bags from the time you check them until baggage claim, so if somebody barfs while you're waiting at the departure gate, that's a long time to be wearing barfy clothes.

Also, I would recommend having bags that accommodate all the stuff you're bringing on the plane. You do not want to be juggling your Nook, iPad, laptop, carry-ons, kids, whatever food you purchased in the terminal, etc while trying to board the plane. If you're only planning on bringing your purse onboard, put it in a tote bag or something so that you can drop your Nook, kids' toys, snacks, etc in, too.

And, food - bring your own! Food is hard to come by and expensive on planes these days. You can carry food through security, or you can buy in the terminal. Food for consumption on board the aircraft does not count toward your carry-on allowance.

AnnieW625
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Everyone has pretty much suggested everything I can think of.

If you must have water before you get on the plane make sure you bring a couple of bucks to buy water after security. (worst rule ever IMHO!) . If you do bring your own food from home make sure that you declare it with TSA first. Some TSA are super cool and won't test it, but others will, it just depends. I bought those baby food pouches and TSA at the airport leaving checked them. I had some on our return trip home and TSA had no problem with them.

Laptops come out of cases and sleeves at security. Not sure about nooks. I have always left my cell, and my Ipod in my carryon or purse.

Honestly once you are on the plane not much has changed except you may not get a meal like you used to for flights longer than 2 hrs.

BabbyO
07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I think the only things I'd add:
1. If your liquid toiletries are in a carry on (shampoo, etc) they must be 3.4 oz or less and all fit in a single, quart sized ziptop bag. At least that is my understanding.

2. That bag must be pulled out of your carry-on and put in one of the bins going through security.

3. US Airways does not always accept credit cards for food on the plane. It depends on the size of the flight/plane IME.

4. EMPTY, Dry water bottles can be carried through security and filled using the water fountains on the other side of security if you don't want to pay the expensive airport prices for water/beverages.

I haven't travelled with DS yet...but I'm inclined to think that when we do, I'll be willing to check a bag for $25 for the convenience of not having to wrestle kids, bags, car seats, etc. I guess it will depend on our destination and what we all HAVE to bring with us, vs what we can get/use when we arrive at our destination.

When I'm by myself...I do only a carry-on and personal item. I also tend to pack a small empty purse and use a backpack as my "personal item".

connor_mommy
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Strollers and car seats do not apply to the carry on count. And shoes need to come off and put through the xray scanner.