PDA

View Full Version : Has True Blood jumped the shark?

arivecchi
07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
It totally has IMO.

The plot lines are just ridiculous and I am bored to tears every episode.

To add insult to injury, Eric looks like crap this season. The man needs to bulk up.

mommylamb
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I stopped watching after the 2nd season because I thought it went way down hill. I loved reading the Sookie Books, but the show was nothing like the books.

OTOH, I can't wait to watch Game of Thrones (at someone else's house since I've cancelled HBO) because the books are amazing and the series supposedly tracks them really well (or at least did for the first season).

KHF
07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm very close to ditching True Blood all together. If it wasn't for the fact that the book this season is (VERY LOOSELY) based on is my favorite Sookie book, I'd just quit now. I watch it on my computer and have another tab up doing something while it's on. I cannot stomach Sam's little brother or the whole Hot Shot storyline. The only parts I actually watch are the ones with Alcide, Eric and Sookie.

momm
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM
To add insult to injury, Eric looks like crap this season. The man needs to bulk up.

:hysterical:

You are so funny!

MommyofAmaya
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I actually greatly prefer the show to the books. I love Jessica/Holt and Lafayette/Jesus storylines and those are totally exclusive to the show. The plot lines in the book actually get more silly as the series progresses. I actually think they are accommodating for that very well in the TV series. I could actually skip the Sookie/Eric parts since I not remotely interested in the Swede.

mom2khj
07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I tried to watch this for the first time last night, since we just got HBO. Loved the books. I could NOT get into it. I thought maybe it was because I haven't been watching all along!

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I have hope that things will pick up. I dislike it right now though.

It's funny in our house b/c dh has read all the books and I haven't. He'll sometimes watch the show and point out differences and way the books are better.

Beth

gatorsmom
07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
The only parts I actually watch are the ones with Alcide, Eric and Sookie.

I haven't totally given up because I'm loving the whole Eric/Sookie thing right now. I like that he's sensitive- it's a nice change. And I'm waiting to see Debbie Pelt go ballistic on Sookie (which we just KNOW she is going to do). I"m liking the witch thing and am absolutely LOVING Pam right now. And i even like the Terry/Arlene/possessed baby subplot. But, yeah, Sam's brother needs to go away.

Actually, I dont' think it's jumped the shark. I just think it has it's ups and downs. I thought last season was better than the second season. I got REALLY bored of the orgy scene that seemed to be on every.freakin.episode that season.

BabyBearsMom
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM

I know! I think they are trying to make him look vulnerable...but I like him in his non-vulnerable state.

gatorsmom
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I know! I think they are trying to make him look vulnerable...but I like him in his non-vulnerable state.

The only way Sookie would fall in love with him were if he was sensitive and kind, not cocky and domineering. I'm assuming they are moving Sookie to a relationship with Eric and if so, this was the only realistic way they could. Sookie likes "nice" vampires. :D

BabyBearsMom
07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
The only way Sookie would fall in love with him were if he was sensitive and kind, not cocky and domineering. I'm assuming they are moving Sookie to a relationship with Eric and if so, this was the only realistic way they could. Sookie likes "nice" vampires. :D

Screw Sookie! I like bad boy, cocky, domineering vampires!! :rotflmao:

KHF
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I haven't totally given up because I'm loving the whole Eric/Sookie thing right now. I like that he's sensitive- it's a nice change.

Do you read the books? If not...you must. At least read the fourth book...you will love it :) As much as I like the Eric on True Blood , I love the Eric in the books that much more. Also, the Alcide in the books is much better...they haven't really given the on-screen one much to work with yet. Though, they can feel free to continue with the shirtless scenes for him... :love5:

arivecchi
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Screw Sookie! I like bad boy, cocky, domineering vampires!! :rotflmao::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Raidra
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I hesitate to say that True Blood has jumped the shark because the outlandish parts are either in the books, or certainly not any more crazy than what's in the books. The show definitely has its slow episodes, but that's the same with any series.. and that's not jumping the shark.

I don't care for the Tommy subplot, but mainly because it just makes me feel bad (for him, for Sam, etc). All the others are alright with me. The Hotshot stuff is getting a little more attention than in the books, but that's mainly because the books are 1st person and you just see Sookie looking for Jason (which also gets old). I don't think the storyline is bad, I just wish there wasn't quite as much of it. Let's see Sookie and Eric hanging out some more. :)

The one thing I *really* dislike is Bill as king. I mean, come on! Do I need to say more?

KHF
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
The one thing I *really* dislike is Bill as king. I mean, come on! Do I need to say more?

I'm totally with you there!! It's funny, I have a friend that doesn't read the books, only watches the show and she has a *completely* different opinion of Bill than I do.

scriptkitten
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
you will change your mind once we get to see eric gettin it on with sookie!!!

i agree that eric needs to gain back some weight. he KILLS me with this amnesia/drunk thing. he's hilarious.

bill as king is hard to watch.. i'm hoping he has a plan and this is all an act.

BabyBearsMom
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm totally with you there!! It's funny, I have a friend that doesn't read the books, only watches the show and she has a *completely* different opinion of Bill than I do.

I think they had to come up with more of a role. He isn't a main character in the later books so they just had to create a spot for him. I think Bill is a total snooze though in the books and the show. I never understood how Sookie could even have a thought for him when Eric is near by :heartbeat: Although, I have to say that Alcide looks GOOOOOOD this season.

egoldber
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I have read all the books and I just can't get into the series. I didn't even make it all the way through season 1 watching it on DVD.

Bill as King just seems silly to me. It undermines so much of what makes him a "good" character.

The plot lines in the book actually get more silly as the series progresses.

I could do without the whole fairy thing honestly (I mean really, aren't vampires and weres enough? :ROTFLMAO: ) but I really like how the characters in the book have developed over time. I especially liked the ending of the latest book and what the did with her and Eric in this book.

lizzywednesday
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I think it's deliciously silly and it always has been. The fact that it's getting sillier doesn't really bother me.

But, then again, I am a sucker for the guest stars. I mean, FIONA SHAW, for crying out loud! I love Fiona Shaw!

I could do without the Tommy/Sam subplot for any of the following reasons:

* it goes against shifter/were lore as laid out in the books ("like must mate with like" and all that)
* Sam wasn't raised by adoptive parents; he was raised by his own parents
* Sam's dad was in the military
* Sam does have a younger brother, but they are close
* I like Sam a whole heck of a lot better in the books!!!!

I could also do without the Arlene's baby subplot, which is not in the books, though I do like that Arlene isn't throwing her hat into the ring with the Fellowship of the Sun like she does in the later books. (Though there's still time.)

The whole Hotshot thing is an insult.

The way Bill & Grandmother Bellefleur discover their family trees is also very pat. I liked the book-way better, but I guess that made it easier to hate Bill for everything else he'd done to ingratiate himself with Sookie.

I like Hoyt a great deal in the show. He deserved to be a more 3-dimensional character than he was at first.

I have always liked Terry Bellefleur. Even as a sketch of a character, he was one of those "people" that made Bon Temps wonderful.

Other than that ... I totally agree that I wouldn't say "no" to more shirtless Alcide scenes, despite him being quite different from how I pictured Alcide Herveaux, and the Alexander Skarsgaard eye-candy is fabulous. Though I miss his long hair and do agree he needs some meat on his bones!

Pinky
07-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not going to read through the thread because I'm waiting for the season to come out on DVD, but we thought it was heading towards jumping the shark with last seasons finale. It was just kind of blah ending with the fairy stuff. Then we watched the first episode of this season and it was like something out of a REALLY bad scifi movie from the 80's. LOL So, the first episode definitely didn't draw us in and make us want to pay for HBO for 3 months.

WIth that being said, two of my friends think this is the best season yet.

lizzywednesday
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM

WIth that being said, two of my friends think this is the best season yet.

Well, it's certainly better than last season.

Last season was, IMO, a "sophomore slump" lackluster effort.

The first 8 minutes of this season was weird and completely unnecessary with all the stupid Faerie parts. It's a damn shame they didn't leave Claudine the way she was in the books ... and the lack of her brother Claude is kind of a pity as well. (He's a jerk, but he's also a male stripper, so he'd provide some eye candy. Le sigh ...)

gatorsmom
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
... and the lack of her brother Claude is kind of a pity as well. (He's a jerk, but he's also a male stripper, so he'd provide some eye candy. Le sigh ...)

Actually, Claude was in the Season 4 premiere episode. He was the ugly male faerie that was helping Sookie and her grandfather decide to jump through the portal. Sometimes I mute the volume and just read the closed captioning in order not to wake up the kids. That faerie was called Claude on the closed captioning. So much for "Claude the Stripper". sigh.

lizzywednesday
07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Actually, Claude was in the Season 4 premiere episode. He was the ugly male faerie that was helping Sookie and her grandfather decide to jump through the portal. Sometimes I mute the volume and just read the closed captioning in order not to wake up the kids. That faerie was called Claude on the closed captioning. So much for "Claude the Stripper". sigh.

See? This is what I miss for not getting our TVs' closed captioning function to communicate with the cable box!

Raidra
07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Well, it's certainly better than last season.

Last season was, IMO, a "sophomore slump" lackluster effort.

The first 8 minutes of this season was weird and completely unnecessary with all the stupid Faerie parts. It's a damn shame they didn't leave Claudine the way she was in the books ... and the lack of her brother Claude is kind of a pity as well. (He's a jerk, but he's also a male stripper, so he'd provide some eye candy. Le sigh ...)

Aww, I thought last season was awesome. There were so many parts that just had me laughing hysterically. And there was a lot of Eric. :D The first two seasons were kind of 'meh' for me.

I love when they add more to characters (Hoyt, Lafayette, etc), but hate it when they take things out.. like Claudine/Claude. I was just amazed that they killed off Claudine so quickly. I mean, wow.

Melaine
07-20-2011, 03:47 PM
OTOH, I can't wait to watch Game of Thrones (at someone else's house since I've cancelled HBO) because the books are amazing and the series supposedly tracks them really well (or at least did for the first season).

Funny, I never heard about this until just today when DF was telling me she and her hubby both enjoyed this show and that they are reading the books also. She recommended it highly.

arivecchi
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
After watching Game of Thrones and its non-stop action, True Blood is just coming off very badly in comparison. I just expect too much after GOT I guess.

And yes, Eric, needs to buff up and wear manly clothes. The deep v-necks are just killing it for me.

BabyBearsMom
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Funny, I never heard about this until just today when DF was telling me she and her hubby both enjoyed this show and that they are reading the books also. She recommended it highly.

It is excellent and the books are fantastic. Some of the best adult-fantasy-lit I have ever read.

gatorsmom
07-20-2011, 04:10 PM
The deep v-necks are just killing it for me.

They remind me of the chest-hair-showing undershirts worn by Fenrir Grayback on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (ick!).

lizzywednesday
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM

I love when they add more to characters (Hoyt, Lafayette, etc), but hate it when they take things out.. like Claudine/Claude. I was just amazed that they killed off Claudine so quickly. I mean, wow.

In Alan Ball's defense, I like that he didn't kill off Lafayette as quickly as Ms. Harris did in the books. Besides, Nelsan Ellis is too talented to be a one-trick pony!

Killing off Claudine was shameful. Of course, illustrating a vamp who's faerie-drunk is probably better than trying to exlpain it, but ... yeah, I'm with you on that.

arivecchi
08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
What is everyone thinking so far? The last episode was slightly better but I miss bad-ass Eric. :hopmad: The show is just not as fun with wussy Eric. And I am sooooo tired of Sam's brother. Wish a panther would just go ahead and eat him. He's so annoying. Glad the parents are gone though. They were even more annoying. Not in love with the creepy baby plotline.

Still on the fence here I guess.

lizzywednesday
08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
What is everyone thinking so far? The last episode was slightly better but I miss bad-ass Eric. :hopmad: The show is just not as fun with wussy Eric. And I am sooooo tired of Sam's brother. Wish a panther would just go ahead and eat him. He's so annoying. Glad the parents are gone though. They were even more annoying. Not in love with the creepy baby plotline.

I too prefer bada$$/jerky Eric to "I'm afraid of the hidey hole" Eric.

But, even with the wussiness (is that a word?), he's still portrayed by Alexander Skarsgaard *swoon*

ITA the Sam's brother thing has gotten old. What really bothers me about the whole Shifter/Were thing as presented on the show is Alan Ball deciding that the like-must-mate-with-like bit doesn't fly in his universe. Seriously.

The one thing that I do like a great deal in this "telling" however is the Marnie character. She's infinitely more dangerous in this story than she is in the book because she's not doing her thing deliberately. She's a conduit. (Marnie in the books is dangerous for other reasons, but, ultimately, she's beatable.)

As for the mysterious fire and demon baby? I'd like to know what exactly the writers were smoking when they came up with the demon baby. (OK, to be fair, Arlene in the books has several pregnancy "scares" that we only learn about because Sookie inadvertently pokes around in her head.)

SpaceGal
08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
I was all ready to see Jason turn and he didn't...WTH! The evil baby thing is creepy and the whole Bill things is just odd. Sam's brother is just such a pain...and what the heck with Alcide and stupid Debbie! I dunno...this season is just off.

BabyBearsMom
08-02-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm still middle of the road on the season. ITA that soft cuddly Eric is so not doing it for me. I would even take long haired, track suit/wife beater wearing Eric, from the first season over skinny gym short bad hair Eric of this season.

I don't dislike the baby plotline as much as everyone else. Although what horrible parents let their baby play with such a dirty toy? I mean seriously! That thing has about 10lbs of mildew on it. Even if it wasn't creepy looking, I still wouldn't let DD play with it. I wonder if this is just a device to lead Arlene to the Church of the Sun group?

I am totally done with Tommy as well. I didn't like him last season and I still don't like him now. I was really bummed that Jason didn't turn. I feel like his character needs that or he will always be so 1 dimensional. I have to say though, that I like Jessica's character even though she isn't in the book at all. I don't really get Lafayette and Jesus in Mexico though. Not digging that, and I don't see where they are going with Tara.

Raidra
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Was anyone else impressed with the way Sam (what's the actor's name?) played Tommy? I thought he really had it down, especially in the scene where he fires Sookie.

I was disappointed Jason didn't turn, too. What was the whole point of the kidnapping stuff then? Don't you think the werepanthers would have known it wasn't going to work?

So, is Bill just going to pretend he staked Eric? Or is he going to tell Nan he changed his mind?

There are a few storylines I don't really care for.. mainly Tommy and Tara. Overall, though, I'm still enjoying it. I do think they need to give Eric some more.. oomph. I'm so tired of seeing him mope. I like sweet, slightly confused Eric, but not depressed Eric. Badass, cocky Eric is still best, but Sookie would never have fallen for him if not for this.

arivecchi
08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Last night, the unthinkable happened, I FELL ASLEEP while watching True Blood.

Noooooooo! One of my fave shows has been ruined. :(

Not buying Eric and Sookie at all. Just plain unnatural!

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Last night, the unthinkable happened, I FELL ASLEEP while watching True Blood.

Noooooooo! One of my fave shows has been ruined. :(

Not buying Eric and Sookie at all. Just plain unnatural!

Was I the only one wishing that something big and scary would eat Tara when she was walking by the side of the road? She is so annoying. And then she claims that everyone she loves was killed by vampires? Um, what? Eggs was killed by Jason, a human, and no one else was killed by vampires. I acknowledge that Franklin traumatized her last season, but she needs to get over it already.

MommyofAmaya
So sorry it isn't doing it for you this season. I think the Sookie + Eric thing seems really forced as well. I am dying to know what happens to Jessica though. Her storyline is one of my favorites.

MommyofAmaya
Was I the only one wishing that something big and scary would eat Tara when she was walking by the side of the road? She is so annoying. And then she claims that everyone she loves was killed by vampires? Um, what? Eggs was killed by Jason, a human, and no one else was killed by vampires. I acknowledge that Franklin traumatized her last season, but she needs to get over it already.

No. I was hoping Pam would do her in too.

arivecchi
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
No. I was hoping Pam would do her in too.LOL! Me three!

Raidra
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
No. I was hoping Pam would do her in too.

No kidding. Ugh.

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that, while I do have some qualms about how wussy they've made Eric, I do like Eric and Sookie together in the show. I think it'll be more interesting once he's got his memory back, sure, but I'm happy with the way it is for now. BTW, Niall stayed up late and watched it with us, and he clapped all through the Eric/Sookie smutfest. :o

Anyone else annoyed with Sam? I don't like his dark side and wish he was more like Sam in the books.

SpaceGal
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah Tara has to go...so tired of her doom on me thing. Right now I really like Jessica. She seems to have the most human emotions...in terms of growing up and being who you want to be and fighting for what you think is right. And I find her really pretty lately.

I wonder what will come of Lafayette and his new discovery of being a medium. Will he be the one to challenge Marnie and gain like acceptance from the vampires so that he's not all "Eric Northman will come kill you!!"

egoldber
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I happened to catch a True Blood mini marathon in my hotel when I was at a conference last week LOL! I saw the latest 3 episodes. I actually like this season better than what I saw of the first season (I watched the first 3/4 of the first season on DVD).

I do like Sookie and Eric together, but I have read all the books, so I am all over this from there. I have to say I don't like most of the changes that Alan Ball has made.

Sam's brother - dumb
Tara - why????
Lafayette - ugh

The one thing I do like is Jessica and the Jessica-Hoyt-Jason triangle.

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
ISam's brother - dumb
Tara - why????
Lafayette - ugh

What??!! You don't like Lafayette? I LURVE me some good Lafayette scenes. He's just so interesting. Although, i agree, this season, he's not so fun being so serious.

I loved Book 4 with Sookie and Eric together. But it seems really forced to me on Trueblood. I didn't see it coming. One minute Sookie was annoyed with Eric's memory loss and the next she was in love? When did that happen and why didn't we get to see it? Even watching the smutty hot scenes did not do a THING for me. It just looked so fake.

Sam's brother needs to get eaten by a bad-a$$ vampire pronto. And Sam needs to be nice and less screwed up. That is just old. I"m really enjoying Arlene's demon baby subplot, the Jessica-Jason-Hoyt subplot is fun, and Andy Bellefleur is annoying too. And I LOVE Fiona Shaw's part. Although it's almost comical how she introduces herself as Antonia Lah dedade dah to everyone she meets. It reminds me of that guy on The Princess Bride who kept repeating, "Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."

egoldber
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Sorry, no I hate Lafayette. Mainly because of season 1. I thought his whole story line was lame. :o

I agree that Eric-Sookie seems a bit forced because you don't have all the lead up to it like you do in the books. And seriously, sex in the swamp vs. the shower scene? Not so much.

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
And I LOVE Fiona Shaw's part. Although it's almost comical how she introduces herself as Antonia Lah dedade dah to everyone she meets. It reminds me of that guy on The Princess Bride who kept repeating, "Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."

:rotflmao: You totally just made me laugh out loud at work, that is so spot on!!!

ITA about Tommy needing to be done. He is annoying and lame. I also agree that Jessica's story line is the most engaging. I feel so bad for Hoyt!

TxCat
08-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Okay, I came to this series super-late - I just started watching it from the beginning via HBO Go as of August 6th (a treat to myself after spending months doing nothing but working, studying and taking care of baby and house), but I LOVE it. As of yesterday, I am caught up completely, and I'm even enjoying this season. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hotshot storyline or Tommy, but both of those problems seem to be resolved for me now. :D And, I'm super happy about (hopefully) the end of little boy Eric.

I have to say, watching 4 seasons' worth of episodes non-stop, back-to-back over the course of 3 weeks kind of messes with one's mind - it's like binging on bags of M&Ms. I'm having dreams about Skarsgard and I called one of my colleagues Tara last night at 4 am. I am an addict and I need help!

arivecchi
08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes, I must say I am elated that mean hot Eric is hopefully back. :D

That last shot of them getting out of the van all dressed in black.....LOL! So cheesy but I want to see some vamps kicking @$$!

Also happy that Sam's brother is gone. Good riddance.

Hoping Jessica will be out of control now!

TxCat, I am not surprised you are having Eric dreams. BTDT! ;)

TxCat
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
TxCat, I am not surprised you are having Eric dreams. BTDT! ;)

I feel like a giddy 14-year-old! I'll let you know when I jump the shark and start putting up Alex Skarsgard pictures in my closet or something! :bag

arivecchi
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Any thoughts on the season finale?

Raidra
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I think I'm still processing it. Of course, I was disappointed that Eric didn't save Sookie at the end. And I didn't really appreciate him begging Sookie to choose him.

I was very disappointed with Lafayette's storyline.. I really liked Jesus and was sad to see him get killed off. I think the ghosts were a bit weird, but I liked Eric's line that was something like, "Um, hello? We're feeling a bit crispy up here."

I thought the scene with Pam was pretty good. Obviously, she's a lot different from in the books, but I kind of like the change. Pretty funny to see Ginger comforting her.

Totally confused about what's going to happen next season.. it seems like they're introducing a lot of stuff that is completely independent of the books, which isn't a bad thing. It's just harder to predict. I don't know whether to be excited or annoyed that they're bringing Russell Edgington back.. I thought he was great in last season, but they better have a great plan for next season, I hope it's not just a cop out.