PDA

View Full Version : Help me update my "mom uniform"

robinsmommy
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I admit it. My wardrobe is booooooooring. 70% of the time you will find me in a solid color T-shirt (Eddie Bauer or LE), jeans (Gap bootcut usually), and a fleece from REI if it's cold. Maybe shorts or a skirt if it's warm. :bag

We are on a tight budget, so I get the shirts and fleeces on super sale, and the jeans at the thrift store. Though come to find out, I've been buying my jeans slightly too short, too.:bag
At least I'm good at finding good colors for me - usually fall-ish stuff.

Any suggestions on spicing things up cheaply? I'm a SAHM, so it should work for that in terms of maintenance - so the dry-clean-only silk button-downs are out. And for general info, I'm short and curvy.

I'm also rather curious to know what other SAHM's have for a uniform. Maybe I'm not alone?

Canna
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Some of my favorite SAHM on a budget stores are Target, Old Navy, and Kohls (especially for shorts and capris as they seem to have lots of styles to try).

In the summer I wear casual dresses from Target - I just bought two on sale for $19 each. Sometimes I can find cute cotton dresses at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for around the same price. Target and Old Navy both have good t-shirts. There are a lot of styles now that have some embellishment (ruffles for example) that can make a tee more interesting (also can look cute under cardigans in fall. Consider a casual skirt in place of your jeans. I bought one at Target a year or two ago in a blue and white striped denim that goes with everything. Also consider a cardigan. I just went on vacation and packed a yellow cropped cardigan that I bought a year ago at Target and wore it over everything - tees with shorts, knit dresses (from Target), tank top with jeans.

TwinFoxes
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I think an easy thing to do is to mix a nice print in with all of the solids. Or an interesting cut. So instead of a plain white tee, get one with a cool screen print, or one with a ruffle or pin tuck or something. Instead of a fleece, a zip up sweater looks just that little bit better. And if you're wearing a plain tee and jeans, a cool necklace or bracelet adds a little pop (you can usually find those at Goodwill or Target).

I don't think casual has to = boring. :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 01:20 PM
For summer, I love the $15 ON foldover skirts paired with a plain tanktop and then a cool necklace or earrings. Simple but b/c of the skirt and jewelry it just looks more put together.

Beth

ourbabygirl
07-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm a SAHM, too, and my basic summer wardrobe is shorts and a t-shirt. I did buy a couple of the ON fold-over skirts, but they're a little dressy to wear around the house and with my kids being 2 & 9 months, shorts just cover me better for the constant up and down when playing. :)
I would second (third?) the jewelry recommendation- things do look more put together with a cute necklace, pair of earrings and/or bracelet. Also, pay attention to how the shirts and pants fit... you'll look more put-together if they fit well (hug your curves or whatever)... whether you shop at Target, ON, Goodwill, wherever- make sure that the shirts don't hang too loosely and that the pants or shorts fit appropriately, too. I know that I was lazy about shopping for myself (or actually haven't had time/ have had a hard time getting out of the house with 2 LOs), but if your weight has fluctuated much since have kids, it's really important to go buy some new things that fit better.
Also, if you have long(er) hair, your hairstyle can change things up, too, whether you use cute hair accessories or just pull it up, leave it down, have it wavy/ flat-ironed/ whatever. Same goes for make-up, if I'm leaving the house (and usually even if I'm not), I feel more put-together with make-up. :)

crl
07-20-2011, 03:28 PM
I am even more boring because we live in San Francisco where the weather is the same year around so my uniform is solid color t-shirts and jeans year around.

Even when I try to buy something different I end up wearing the jeans and t-shirts. I have decided they must just be what works for me at this point in my life.

So, I think the thing to do is accessorize with jewelry (to the extent possible, my 15 month old pulls on necklaces and bracelets, which limits me a bit), good shoes, nice jackets and a good handbag.

I got some decent shoes last year (Born wedge sandals and Born touring booties, which look like cowboy boots). The jacket thing is a work in progress. I have a couple of cute ones already and bought a sweater and cape (!) at the Nordstrom anniversary sale. And I am planning on a new, nice leather bag for this fall.

Catherine

eh613c
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
H&M has cute tops that you can pair with jeans and skirts.

DrSally
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
ITA w/a lot of what has been posted. I'm a SAHM too, and I used to wear only jeans/cords and plain LE t's and my LE diaper bag. I got a better haircut and try to curl/straighten my hair every so often. Also, I wear my mother's necklace--just a plain stamped SS on a beaded chain. I've upgraded to cotton skirts and/or skorts (Target, ON, and Kohl's are great for these). I've seriously gotten them for $10-$15. No one knows I'm wearing a skort and I can even go shorter, which actually looks better on me b/c I'm petite. Also, nicer flip flops (tevas or such, but not the $2 ON ones) help. I'm buying slightly better/more fitted T's--on sale at Gap, ON, or Target, and that helps the look a lot. I've traded my canvas diaper bag for a regular leather purse when I go out wo/the kids, and I have a few nice trenches/winter coats (at deep discount at TJMax/NR or consignment, and some colorful scarves--TJMax or H&M).

Seriously, I can pull an outfit together for $20ish and it looks much better than before. I wore a white cotton skort ($12) and a navy LE sleeveless T ($5), my mother's necklace, and teva flip flops ($20) out to breakfast this weekend. DH asked me why I was "dressed up" LOL!

Also, right now consignment stores have their summer stock on clearance. I have gotten a lot of really good stuff for under $10 at their EOS sales. The fall/winter EOS sales are the best for jackets,etc. I've gotten a lot of cute cord/denim type blazers for under $10. And, you're totally right on getting jeans the right length. That really helps your look a lot.

mum-to-be
07-21-2011, 03:23 AM
drsally, could you post photos of these skorts? I have been searching for skorts ever since becoming a mother - I think they'd be a wonderful addition to my SAHM uniform of jeans and solid tees.

blondflava
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I like Old Navy for casual 'good for the park and playground' clothes, they're usually having some sales, there is a coupon for 30 % off Adult Merchandise now ONBIG30 (till the 22nd), HTH!
I'm eyeing the bootcut jeans there and a twill jacket/anorak for the fall ;)

*myfoursons
07-21-2011, 09:33 AM
A few years ago I made a conscious effort to step up my SAHM uniform. I decided it made me feel better when I made an effort to look better.

I wear lots of embellished tank tops and blouses, and moved away from plain knits. I wear fitted shorts and skirts, strappy wedges, and statement jewelry. It takes the same amount of effort to put nice clothes on than it would to pull on my yoga pants and plain tank tops. I find AT loft is a great place to find inexpensive every day items.

It was funny, the other day I had a cute shirtdress on, a big chunky necklace, and cork wedges. I was doing drop off at soccer camp, and a mom I don't know well jokingly asked if I had a big date planned. I think I used to worry about "looking" like I had made an effort to look nice, when that's so silly. Why would it ever be bad to try and make yourself look nice? I feel I have lots of cute clothes, and I might as well wear them. What am I saving them for?

mypa
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
A few years ago I made a conscious effort to step up my SAHM uniform. I decided it made me feel better when I made an effort to look better.

I wear lots of embellished tank tops and blouses, and moved away from plain knits. I wear fitted shorts and skirts, strappy wedges, and statement jewelry. It takes the same amount of effort to put nice clothes on than it would to pull on my yoga pants and plain tank tops. I find AT loft is a great place to find inexpensive every day items.

It was funny, the other day I had a cute shirtdress on, a big chunky necklace, and cork wedges. I was doing drop off at soccer camp, and a mom I don't know well jokingly asked if I had a big date planned. I think I used to worry about "looking" like I had made an effort to look nice, when that's so silly. Why would it ever be bad to try and make yourself look nice? I feel I have lots of cute clothes, and I might as well wear them. What am I saving them for?

I agree about AT Loft. They have lots of nicer options that SAHMs can wear and when you catch a good sale the prices are really reasonable. I just re-did my summer wardrobe and most of the shorts/tops I got were in the $7-$11 range and comfy cotton knit dresses for $15-20. I find that their size runs generous and is kind to post-pregnancy tummys/hips, was pleasantly surprised at how well their stuff fits my "new" body.

TxCat
07-21-2011, 09:21 PM

:yeahthat:

I'm not a SAHM, but I was feeling pretty blah about my weekend uniform for a while - running shorts, t-shirt, sports bra. So, a couple of months ago, I bought a few "key" pieces to spice up my "mom" wardrobe when I'm at home or out and about with DD. I totally agree with the advice about AT Loft and Target as well - I got a really cute tunic during their Calypso St. Barth's collection. Also, now is peak time for all of the EOS summer sales. A little more pricey, but I picked up a couple of pairs of shorts, some embellished sleeveless tops, nice tees and a cardigan at J. Crew all on 30-50% off. All is stuff that I can transition into fall, and mix and match with each other and with stuff that I already own. For embellished tops, sales are good. But, for more basic everyday staples like jeans, take the time to find a couple of good pairs that fit you really well, even if they aren't on sale. If you wear them all the time, it's worth it to get the best fitting ones that you can find.

DrSally
07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
drsally, could you post photos of these skorts? I have been searching for skorts ever since becoming a mother - I think they'd be a wonderful addition to my SAHM uniform of jeans and solid tees.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/petites/skirts/PRD~811203/Croft+and+Barrow+Cargo+Scooter++Petite.jsp

This isn't the one I got, but pretty similar. I got the Sonoma ones--one type has a wide stretchy, fabric waist and cargo styling--love it. The other is just a plain skort, much like this one wo/the pockets. They prob still have them in store, but not online anymore. They're all grouped together under the Sonoma brand.