PDA

View Full Version : Quick help:update with a Mazda5 question in OP

JustMe
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Okay, I know this is probably getting old, but spending this money is quite the big deal for me. I am now leaniing strongly towards the Mazda 5 (cant find any Rondos with 3rd rows anywhere near me among other things). Is there any place to keep things inside the car during the day that wouldnt be visible? Under seats would be fine as they wouldnt be in use, but I do need to keep things in my car sometimes during the day and have never not had a trunk. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on a lot of the feedback I got on this board, I am very interested in a Kia Rondo. I am going to test drive one today. I am trying to decide if I am going to look at a 2009 with something over 30,000 miles with an asking price of over $15,000 or a 2007 with about 57,000 and an asking price of over $13,000. I don't care if the car is older, want to spend as little money as possible, but I do want it to last a long time. Any suggestions on which you would go for?

Any other tips on negotiating with used car salespeople (yuck). I have always bought my cars through individual sellers, and am not comfortable with the haggling/games. Do I start at Kelly blue book, lower, or what?

Finally, will I regret not getting a Toyota? I have always gotten toyotas and the reliability is so important to me as a single parent. Just dont want a big car like the Sienna, and would need to get a much older one with what I can afford.. (I actually would like to pay even less than the above...about $10,000, but dont think there is anything that meets my needs for being able to transport more kids and be reliable at that price).

thanks!

karstmama
07-20-2011, 04:54 PM
i got an '09 rondo for $12k last oct, so look them up on carmax and see if your dealer will pricematch. i really like mine - the size is good, it's not souped up but not stripped, either, and it fits right now. good luck with your search!

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
If you are going to buy from a dealer, go through Edmunds and use their free price quote service. It'll send out an email to all dealers in a whatever mile radius you would like and you can see their prices. Ask for the "out the door" price for the grand total. I did all my haggling via email and a bit on the phone. When we went in to buy, the car was ready and we just had to sign. Easy as can be and much better than "let me go talk to my manager".

I have the Mazda5 and quality isn't what I'm used to from my Honda. So, you might be in for a let down coming from a Toyota but you'll adjust soon enough.

Beth
Beth

JustMe
07-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks, so much for the quick replys! karstmama, how many miles did your 09 have when you bought it? $12,000 is really low (great) for the numbers I am coming up with on carmax, edmunds, etc.

So, if you do the e-mailing thing, do you just trust the car is in the condition they say its in?

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I bought a used but I think I'd trust a dealership. YOu could see about doing a carfax report, just to be sure though.

Beth

karstmama
07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
40k if i remember right. it had been a rental, i think.

Pinky
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Definitely check out edmunds.com for reliability and pricing. It's a great website even for used car buying.

karstmama
07-21-2011, 09:04 AM
wow, they *have* gone up in price! maybe i should sell mine for a profit!

JustMe
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
wow, they *have* gone up in price! maybe i should sell mine for a profit!

LOL! How are you finding the gas consumption to be? The reports say 20 mpg in town, but my friend read something on consumer reports that said 14!

And if you have the Mazda 5, have you had any suspension issues?

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Do you have specific ?'s about the Rondo? A co-worker of mine has one, not sure the year (they are still sold in Canada). If you have specific questions, I can ask him this morning.

LMK

JustMe
07-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Do you have specific ?'s about the Rondo? A co-worker of mine has one, not sure the year (they are still sold in Canada). If you have specific questions, I can ask him this morning.

LMK

Thanks! The main questions I have right now are reliability, what repairs have they had to make? Gas miles per gallon? (I know what the sites say, but want to know what someone experiences IRL), especially in town, as I mostly do non-freeway driving...and is there anyway to store something when you have a 3rd row so its not visible through the windows? I am talking even when you are not using the 3rd row. I go to a lot of different sites during my work day and often leave things in my car (currently in my trunk) that I would not want anyone to see. Not sure where I would do that in either the Rondo or Mazda 5.

In case anyone is still reading who has a Mazda 5, how has the reliability/repairs and miles per gallon been for you?

Thanks again!

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I just sent him an email. Will let you know.

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
We've only had the Mada5 for a year so can't comment on reliability. Still going fine here and hasn't needed anything. :) Gas is maybe 23-27/ gallon depending the kind of driving. I do mostly stop and go traffic ans short drives. The gas mileage was one reason I didn't want to buy the car.

Beth

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 05:36 PM
From my co-worker (note references to mileage are kilometers, he has converted L/100km to mpg for you):

My Rondo (a 2008) has been very reliable. I have 77,000 K on the car and other than regular maintenance (oil changes), have had no mechanical problems. I did have the brake drums replaced (under warranty) due to warping. If you apply cold water when the drums are hot, they will warp, according to an internet forum I looked in on. I may well have washed the car when the drums were hot.

There is no cargo cover available through Kia dealers. You can get them from custom fitters (expensive).

Mileage. Combined city/highway (and I drive at 120 to 130 KPH on highway) runs between 10 (28 mpg imperial) to 11 (25 mpg) litres per 100 K. When I drove through the prairies two years ago, with cruise control at approximately 112 KPH (lots of speed traps on the prairies), I averaged between 7 (40 mpg) to 8 litres per 100K. I have the 6 cylinder model. The four cylinder does much better.

JustMe
07-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Beth and Melissa (and Melissa's co-worker). Yesterday I went to look an 09 Rondo, but it didnt have a 3rd row. Funny enough they had a 2010 Mazda 5, so I got to drive that. I cant afford a 2010 and wasnt comfortable with the dealership. Today I am going to look at an 07 Rondo. We'll see!

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2011, 06:36 PM
The third row has been handy. I wouldnt want to give that up!

Beth

JustMe
07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
The third row has been handy. I wouldnt want to give that up!

Beth

Yes, that is the whole purpose...to be able to transport the kids' friends/carpool, etc. Today I am pissed b/c I went to a local dealer with a Rondo. I asked him on the phone if it had a 3rd row and he said it did...it didnt.

JustMe
07-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Update and question in OP. Thanks so much for bearing with me!

bubbaray
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Not the Mazda 5, but there IS a hidden compartment in the RAV4 if you do NOT get the 3rd row. If you get the 3rd row, there is no compartment (b/c that is where the 3rd row stows). There is no compartment in the CR-V (and no 3rd row option either).

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
No, there is nothing and that has been a challenge. I've been meaning to have a cargo cover installed though- it is an option.

Beth

JustMe
07-28-2011, 09:03 PM
No, there is nothing and that has been a challenge. I've been meaning to have a cargo cover installed though- it is an option.

Beth

Any idea of how much this costs and if it works with the 3rd row.

Thanks for the info, Melissa. Having a 3rd row is the whole point of me getting this car, so good to know.

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I only quickly priced it out and remember it wasn't too much (4200 or less, iirc???). But, if the 3rd row is in use you won't be able to use it. It's for use when those seats are folded down. You can tuck stuff under the front seats, just nothing too big.

Beth

JustMe
07-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I only quickly priced it out and remember it wasn't too much (4200 or less, iirc???). But, if the 3rd row is in use you won't be able to use it. It's for use when those seats are folded down. You can tuck stuff under the front seats, just nothing too big.

Beth

Okay, 4200 what? Tell me you cant mean 4200 US dollars.

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2011, 11:47 PM
That 4 should be a $ sign- forgot to hit shift!! That would be a significant chunk vs "not too much"!! :D $200 or less

JustMe
07-28-2011, 11:52 PM
That 4 should be a $ sign- forgot to hit shift!! That would be a significant chunk vs "not too much"!! :D $200 or less

Much more like not too much, thanks!

essnce629
07-29-2011, 02:08 AM
I have a Mazda5 (for 2 1/2 years now) and I also have the cargo cover. I LOVE it and couldn't imagine not having it since I keep stuff in my trunk all the time and would hate to have it all in view. I keep a stroller, reusable shopping bags, emergency bag, DS2's potty, and a FP booster in my trunk at all times! But you can only use the cargo cover with the 3rd row folded down. When the third row is in use you can still keep things in the trunk and they aren't in view too much since it's a narrow space and you see the third row more. You can fit about 4 paper grocery bags of stuff or an umbrella stroller in the back with the third row up. Also both captains chairs have storage underneath them, but if you have carseats installed on both like I do, then that makes it pretty useless. The right captain's chair stores the fold-out cupholders and storage caddy when not in use.

Cargo Cover ($162)
http://www.mazdaparts.org/ma5incaco.html

Under seat storage (it's about the depth of the headrest, which is what I store in there!)
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2011_mazda_5-official_photos_and_info/gallery/2011_mazda_5_middle_row_under_seat_storage_photo_1 6

JustMe
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Thank you so much, Latia! Very good to know. I actually would not need the storage when the 3rd row is up, so this is all very positive.