PDA

View Full Version : Dance class vs. ballet class

dogmom
07-20-2011, 05:04 PM
OK I'm struggling to figure out what dance class to enroll my 5 yo in. I got 3 options.
The prices all work out about the same, $220-285 per semester, you can figure out the range below.

1) Closest one is one by former cheerleader. Eve would be in some kind of ballet/jazz/tap thing. She did a short class in preschool two years go run by the same people. It was cute, but I could have done without the horribly expensive and tacky two outfits for the short recital. I would have also been happier if I had know she was in ballet AND tap before 2 weeks from the recital when they sent thing home about how she needed ballet and tap shoes, the class had always been described as ballet to me and since it was at school I never saw it. (note: I just sent her with dress shoes with heels) The dance school also has hip-hop and cheerleading classes. I suspect most of the girls in her school would go to this one. There is a recital at the end of the year.

2) One next town over, still fairly convenient, a real ballet school. She would be in pre-ballet. They use the Alexander technique for ballet. Although I don't want her to be a professional ballet dancer or anything. They have a demonstration at a open house, no big recital. I know two adult friends that went to this school as children. My only hesitation is it becomes a fairly serious school after age 6. It is also in a well off town.

3) Another studio, town on other side, run by former student that of school #2, that one of my adult friends knows and likes as a fellow ballerina. Same technique, some open house demonstration. Creative movement at age 5. More working class town. (I only mention towns because of having to deal with parents and any entitlement issues!)

I'm trying to get over my bias against a professional cheerleader and tacky costumes here! Any BTDT advice?

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I admit to the same bias. I was never a fan of the dance schools here growing up that competed and stuff like that. Their technique wasn't as good as other dancers in the area- more emphasis on performance than basics. But, I know that isn't always the case. but, because of that opinion in my brain I would choose a different school. In your case I would go with the 3rd option. I would want a happy medium.

Beth

AnnieW625
07-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I chose traditional ballet for DD1 because it was one thing, just classical ballet. I didn't want to have to deal with multiple shoes and outfits and such. Plus I didn't want to deal with the tarty looking costumes and makeup.

My DD1 goes to a well known classical ballet school because it is less than 10 minutes from our house, has plenty of parking, and they have classes on Saturday. It also happens to be one of the most respected ballet schools in our area. The owner is very well known and while he seems to be very strict with the older girls (12+ have the option of auditioning for the performing companies; jr. and sr.) he is still super nice, he runs the school very well, and there are kids of all races, sizes, and most of the kids look to be having a genuininely good time. Performances including the Nutcracker are completely optional except for performing company members. Now of course some people automatically think because it's classical ballet and it's a well known school there is automatically a sense of entitlement, but honestly I haven't found that to be true (at least in pre ballet levels). There is only one practice a week required until they can try out for the academy level when they are 8 or 9 yrs. old. DD1 has been very happy with her classes and so have we.

egoldber
07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, I am biased because both my girls prefer other forms of dance to ballet (tap, jazz, modern, etc.) so I do prefer a place with more options.

The costume thing really only bothers me when the girls get older.

hollybloom24
07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
My girls go to Boston Ballet School. I have some opinions about schools I can share with you. PM me if chatting with me would be helpful!

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I think a solid, all around dance studio is ideal in the younger years. One that offers a variety of dance forms (ballet, jazz, tap) to keep the kids interested. I know hard core dance moms IRL who don't believe in anything other than ballet until age 10 (!).

I am not familiar with the Alexander technique, it seems like its more of a stretching technique (physiotherapy?) than a particular style of dance instructions?? Not sure. The main types of ballet instruction here are Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) or Ceccetti (I can never spell it right, but you get the drift). There is also a Russian style of ballet, but only 1 studio here that teaches it. I'm not sure how big RAD is in the USA, but it seems very popular on dance forums. The use of the term "pre-ballet" in your option 2 makes me wonder if it is a RAD studio.

Personally, *I* would not be jazzed (ha ha ha) about a ballet class taught by a cheerleader. I would therefore not pick option 1.

I would also not be happy with a school that does not do a recital. My kids live to perform, they :heartbeat: the stage, so I can't imagine that they would be at all motivated to continue dance without that motivator. So, I would rule out option 2 as well.

I'm not sure I would pick option 3 without doing more research.

Are those the only studios you have to choose from?

dogmom
07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
So I called the option #3 school. I happened to get the director right away, she's lovely. We talked about the philosophy of teaching such young kids, the options available in the area, the teacher for the creative dance class (she's a Kindergarten teacher!), and demonstrations in studio vs. recital. I really like the sound of the school, and they have an open house in August where we can go try a class. Her feeling is just a fundamental of movement with your body and getting the basics down will prepare you for whatever style a child may choose/or not to go with (modern/tap/jazz). Although she understands why parents want to expose a bunch of different styles. I also contacted my friend who used to be a ballet dancer, and it is the person she knows. She says she's wonderful, supporting, nurturing and my daughter will not have PTSD from dance classes there. (Serious worry I have if she decides to stick with it.) It sounds just like what I was looking for.

Kindra178
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I say option 2 or 3. Ballet is really the basis for many forms of dance later. It helps with discipline, muscle strength and it's good mental work. Tap is really fun for little kids too.