PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to lose my mind

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
...over the house thing. I know we're blessed with babies and blessed to have a roof over our heads and blessed to have an income. We've outgrown this place, and when we finally get to move on, I'm going to :yay: from the rooftop.

whenever that is. :(
(currently can't decide if we should attempt a last minute declutter/fill a POD/stage/list on the MLS -tomorrow- for a quick sale the month before school starts) Would you spend the last month of having all 3 kids at home and 100 degree days with a house on the market? It sounds wrong, doesn't it?

KpbS
07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, if you can swing it, I'd do it if desperate to move (sounds like you are there). If it is physically impossible and the stress would compromise my marriage, no. Best of luck if you decide to go for it!!! :hug:

amldaley
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
How many months can you afford the POD? If it doesn't sell in the one month you are hoping for? I get the heat issue, but put it this way...the house can not be sold until you sell it. Nothing will change until you change it. The sooner you sell, the sooner you can get that lady to accept your offer.

khm
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Given your desire level, I think you should try. I read you as being past the point of coming to terms with your current house, unless and until the other is completely off the table.

The month is going to pass by and will be stressful for you, either way. :) Let the stress be due to action rather than inaction.

If you do NOT try, you'll wish you would have and be filled with what ifs. Even if it fails, you'll have that peace of mind to not blame your inaction.

Do you have other houses you are interested in, just in case the other does sell out from under you??

truly scrumptious
07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Do it. If you wait till Sept, the market might start winding down for the winter. Around here things are REALLY hard to sell in the fall/winter, and sit on the market for ages, which looks really bad.

lmwbasye
07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I would do it. It may take the stress off of other things (or refocus it) and it would give me something to do besides just go crazy in the summer.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
argh... DH is not gung ho. He's scared of the amt of work it will take and the craziness it will add to our lives. Looks like we'll wait until Feb. when lots of stuff goes on the market here. We can likely vacate some of the weekends and head to the ILs' beach house to miss the weekend showing traffic. And during the week, some of the little people will be in school. And, I won't have a PTing toddler at that point... and I won't have a CSA box full of stuff to chop/cook nightly. We've got a trip to GWL and two different visitors coming over the next few weeks. We'll go back to enjoying them, our nice yard, our walkscore of 77 (did errands on foot tonight), and having a great place to ride bikes. I think I may need to move toys/furniture around/maybe even paint to freshen things up yet again.

Thanks for your encouragement

boolady
07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Honestly, given what you've posted, waiting's a good idea. Our house has been on the market since April, and I'm so over it. We're out of the house most of the week, and I had mentally geared up for having to get out on the weekends, but people want to come through at the oddest times, at least in my book. Totally not cool to be at work all day, then get a call at 4 p.m. that someone wants to come through from 6-7 or 7-8 on a Monday or Tuesday. That happens to us all the time, and all I want to do is spend some quality time with DD after she's been at school all day, not have to spend money to take her to dinner because we can't go home and make a big mess cooking or we just can't be there.

We have never said no (ok...once-- I said no when they called me at 10 a.m. on Father's Day to come through at noon, because we had people coming over), because in this market you can't afford to, and we've had lots and lots of folks want to come through on less than 3 hours notice. My little Father's Day aside brings up something else I didn't think about-- you can't exactly plan to entertain unless you're willing to turn down showings, which I'm not.

I know everyone says this, but now that I'm living it, it really is a complete shift in how you do things. We are not slobs, by any means, but I am constantly thinking about if I left the laundry basket out or if I should take personal time to go home and scoop the litter box or check if DH left his coffee cup in the sink that morning. Blech. If you can wait until you're not PTing and kids are in school, I'd totally do it.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2011, 10:59 PM
oh yeah, entertaining...we do that all. the. time. Sat. we have a baby shower here, so I was torn tonight between ordering a cake or making one (which I love) because we would otherwise be packing/decluttering. I just want to live normally, not live out of my van. waah waah waah. I can't imagine being on the market as long as you have boolady. Hope it sells soon!

boolady
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
oh yeah, entertaining...we do that all. the. time. Sat. we have a baby shower here, so I was torn tonight between ordering a cake or making one (which I love) because we would otherwise be packing/decluttering. I just want to live normally, not live out of my van. waah waah waah. I can't imagine being on the market as long as you have boolady. Hope it sells soon!

Thanks. The only reason I haven't lost MY mind (though I'm pretty close) is that it's not just us. Nothing is selling. Nothing. I guess that shouldn't make me feel better, because we'll probably lose the house we want to buy, but maybe it's a misery loves company thing. There are lots of houses around here that have been for sale for a lot longer than ours.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Aww :( that's no fun. The house we offered on last week (got no counter offer) has been on the market over 200 days. The seller said re: our contingency, "Go put yours on the market and sell it. I'm sure mine will still be sitting here when you come back." She's discouraged too.