PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of sun spots?

lil_acorn
07-20-2011, 08:28 PM
vanity ..and age are creeping in. What can I do for these sun spots on my face? Wish I'd worn more sunscreen as a kid!

HIU8
07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd like to know also. I have age spots on my forehead. Right now I can cover them (mostly) with base and my bangs. But I don't like to wear bangs all the time and they are noticeable.

lhafer
07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
My DH had some age/sun spots frozen off at the dermatologist office. It was fast and easy. They got darker over the course of a few days, then one day I noticed they were just gone.

lil_acorn
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
My DH had some age/sun spots frozen off at the dermatologist office. It was fast and easy. They got darker over the course of a few days, then one day I noticed they were just gone.

does insurance cover this?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-20-2011, 08:43 PM

ummmm, no.

lhafer
07-20-2011, 08:46 PM

I think so. We went in together because I had some skin tags that needed to be removed. I got charged for the skin tag removal, but I am not sure that we were charged additionally for the age spot removal.

She told me up front that the skin tag removal might not be covered under insurance because it wasn't medically necessary. But they were on my neck, and catching on my necklace. They sent one to be biopsied just in case (negative). But she never said anything about the age spot removal. And I don't think we have gotten a bill for that one, hwere I have already for my stuff.

cckwmh
07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
If they are truely sun spots, and not actinic changes, they can be frozen, lasered, or removed with prescription creams. They are not covered by insurance. If there are actinic changes, insurance does cover it because it is considered a pre-cancerous lesion. Not to freek you out at all, a small percentage of actinic keratosis will become squamous cell, but it is impossible to say which lesions or which patients will continue to evolve. Many dermatologists will freeze them as a courtesy and not bill the patient or the insurance.

DrSally
07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I would love to get mine frozen. I've tried OTC creams and they don't do much. I have to get some moles checked out, so I may ask about pricing next when I go in.

artvandalay
07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Have you tried AHA's? I'd start there. Hydroquinone is supposed to be good, too. If these fail, see the derm. I think Paula's Choice has samples of hydroquinone that you can purchase.

Also wear SS during the day, especially if you are using any of these on your face.

mypa
07-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Not sure about sun spots but when I developed a ton of skin tags after the second pregnancy, my primary care doctor frozed them off for me (liquid nitrogen) over 2 visits and I wasn't billed anything additional for it. I was pleasantly surprised.