PDA

View Full Version : "Mead pencils" - wth??

ThreeofUs
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Our school supply list mandates "Mead" pencils. A google search turns up precisely zero pencils with this brand name. Where the heck do I find these?

hellokitty
07-20-2011, 09:32 PM
When they ask for something I can't find, I just substitute it with whatever I can get. Like they asked for an 8oz bottle of elmer's glue, all I could find was like a 7.75 oz, and walmart was the only place that carried the larger size, so that's what they are getting.

Tondi G
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
I wonder if it was a typo and they meant to say lead pencils maybe?

Green_Tea
07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
I believe that I have seen Mead pencils at Target in the past. And maybe CVS. Not sure if they are carrying them this year or not, but they do exist.

ETA: I would just buy whatever pencils you want/find - don't make yourself crazy looking for the Mead ones!

DrSally
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Weird that they'd be so specific. That's an old brand. If I couldn't find it, I'd just get something else. Jeesh.

ThreeofUs
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I bet you guys are right. I bet someone copied a list and it's LEAD. But pencils are made out of graphite. I wonder if they really want LEAD pencils. Sorry. I'm bitter, it's true.

Oh, and maybe this is a BP entry, but they also want ORANGE two pocket folders. Did any of the three stores (office max, walmart or target) have these? NO. They didn't.

DrSally
07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
...But pencils are made out of graphite. I wonder if they really want LEAD pencils. Sorry. I'm bitter, it's true.

:ROTFLMAO:

OMG on the orange folders. I still haven't started on my list. They incl. the ability to order a "pack" of all the stuff shipped right to your door, but I'm sure it's 5x as expensive as getting it in person.

boolady
07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I wonder if they meant Mead pencil case. I googled (cause I'm a dork like that) and almost every entry for "mead pencil" came up for some Mead pencil case.

TwinFoxes
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Mead were the pencils I used in elementary. 30 years ago. :) They were the el cheapo brand that schools provided. Apparently someone is working off an old master list, and never updated it.

egoldber
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I bet someone copied a list and it's LEAD. But pencils are made out of graphite. I wonder if they really want LEAD pencils. Sorry. I'm bitter, it's true.

I know teachers work hard and it's thankless, but seriously this stuff is soooooo typical and the bane of my existence. How hard is to get a list of 20 items (the SAME 20 items EVERY year!) correct? And seriously, they don't realize the angst it causes.

But what I have realized over time is most people see "Mead pencils" and just buy whatever pencils they first lay hands on without any thought to it. I struggle in vain to be more like this. :o

Anyway, I feel your pain.

spunkybaby
07-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Mead were the pencils I used in elementary. 30 years ago. :) They were the el cheapo brand that schools provided. Apparently someone is working off an old master list, and never updated it.

:yeahthat: Makes me feel old when I realize that other people don't recognize the brand!

ett
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
They've probably been using the same list for who knows how many years and never updated the brands.

As for the color specific folders, our class list also specifies particular colors between each color has a different use. Maybe check Staples?

AnnieW625
07-20-2011, 10:34 PM

We had Mead pencils growing up mainly because they were cheaper than Dixon Ticonderogas, which were a BIG treat in my house. Mead were the soft ones and I hated them. My mom bought whatever was cheapest.

TwinFoxes
07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
We had Mead pencils growing up mainly because they were cheaper than Dixon Ticonderogas, which were a BIG treat in my house. Mead were the soft ones and I hated them. My mom bought whatever was cheapest.

I definitely remember them being soft, no matter how pointy the tip your writing looked dull and wide. I'm glad other people remember them. Maybe it's regional? Annie and I are both Cali girls, I don't know about Spunkybaby.

Maybe they specified Mead because they are/were cheap, and they didn't want people complaining about having to buy Dixon-Ticonderogas?

AnnieW625
07-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I definitely remember them being soft, no matter how pointy the tip your writing looked dull and wide.

Maybe they specified Mead because they are/were cheap, and they didn't want people complaining about having to buy Dixon-Ticonderogas?

You are right, there was another brand of soft pencils, but I can't remember the brand, maybe faber castel?

Kungjo
07-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Our 1st year in a new school in a new state and we got the school supply list from H*ll! It asked for white plastic pocket folders with brads. What the heck is a brad? Where we came from, it's not called that. It was summer and we were in a new city and didn't know anyone. Teachers were out for the summer.

I searched Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, etc and couldn't find it. Finally stumbled on it from an online company and had to order it from there. They also asked for specific pencils and only found it on this site.

That was the last time I shopped for school supplies. Talk about a PITA. Now, I just order the entire supply pack from school. Little more expensive, but beats running around. Have you looked into that option? Do they offer that at your DC's school?

spunkybaby
07-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I definitely remember them being soft, no matter how pointy the tip your writing looked dull and wide. I'm glad other people remember them. Maybe it's regional? Annie and I are both Cali girls, I don't know about Spunkybaby.

Yup, California girl here too :waving4:

amldaley
07-21-2011, 05:55 AM
:yeahthat: Makes me feel old when I realize that other people don't recognize the brand!

I recognized it instantly. I can even see the word "mead" in the font they used in my head. Indiana & Washington state.

amldaley
07-21-2011, 05:58 AM
You are right, there was another brand of soft pencils, but I can't remember the brand, maybe faber castel?

Ooohh..I loved Faber Castel's crayons & colored pencils. Weren't they they ones in the black box? And they had slightly different colors and the wax was harder and not all....waxy?

Meatball Mommie
07-21-2011, 06:11 AM

I grew up in NJ and remember Mead pencils. I totally hated them because I like my pencils super sharp and no matter how nicely you sharpened them, they became dull in 2 sec. I prefer Dixon Ticonderoga too :)

JBaxter
07-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Yup Mead is a brand. I've found some novelty pencils have issues with lead breaking as you sharpen them. I try to get the yellow/orange ones vs the printed ones.

ThreeofUs
07-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I know teachers work hard and it's thankless, but seriously this stuff is soooooo typical and the bane of my existence. How hard is to get a list of 20 items (the SAME 20 items EVERY year!) correct? And seriously, they don't realize the angst it causes.

But what I have realized over time is most people see "Mead pencils" and just buy whatever pencils they first lay hands on without any thought to it. I struggle in vain to be more like this. :o

Anyway, I feel your pain.

Beth, I am SO with you. So so so so. The same "why put out a list that isn't right?" and the struggle to not care.

Thank you! :jammin:

Now, I just order the entire supply pack from school. Little more expensive, but beats running around. Have you looked into that option? Do they offer that at your DC's school?

And, yes, I can ask the school to provide the materials. For $64, and I'm just. too. dang. cheap. to spend the extra $20-$30 or so for them to do it. I need to let this go.

Thank you all for my morning chuckles!

mrshalco
07-21-2011, 02:31 PM

:yeahthat::rotflmao:

lizzywednesday
07-21-2011, 02:39 PM
We never had specific brands but our pencils always had to be #2's, so they could be used on the "California tests" we took at the end of the year. (I believe the actual testing company was CTBS or something; IIRC, it stood for California Test of Basic Skills?)

I remember Mead, Dixon-Ticonderoga and Faber Castel pencils. I grew up in NJ.

We got whatever was cheap because by the time I was in the 8th grade, Mom was buying school supplies for 4 of us, so I think we ended up with store-brand packs of pencils.

Of course, we also had school-provided chunky pencils in Kindergarten & 1st grade, and I have no idea what brand those were. (I do remember having a meltdown when I had to do my homework and we didn't have one of those pencils in the house. Between the erasures and the tear stains, I'm surprised I even learned to write!)

DietCokeLover
07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I read somewhere (here maybe?) that teachers get a catalog from which to select their school supplies list and that's where the brand specific/ color specific/ size specific craziness comes from.

Anyone else recall this?

I'm not even at that point in my life and I am frustrated for y'all.

Oh, and I remember hating mead pencils too.

Staraglimmer
07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm 29 and I absolutely used Mead brand pencils all through elementary school. I grew up in New Orleans, LA.

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

Penny's Pappa
07-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Relax. They're just pencils.

jenmcadams
07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Yup, California girl here too :waving4:

Me too...we always had Mead pencils...probably why I buy the Ticonderoga's for our house now :)

Staraglimmer
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Just buy some yellow #2 pencils and you will be fine :).

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

egoldber
07-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Exactly. But I didn't get that gene. :ROTFLMAO:

And if doesn't matter why not just say PENCILS. Why bother to say MEAD pencils?????

thomma
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I'd just buy #2 pencils...and that's coming from a teacher...who gives out a supply list.
However, any typos for "my" list are the fault of the control freak office manager. ;)

swissair81
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I used Mead pencils and notebooks when I was in school. I grew up in Michigan.

ThreeofUs
07-21-2011, 09:22 PM

I didn't get that gene either! Besides, I've heard how the teachers talk about parents who don't even try to get what the list says. My family is already a bit different (we do organic, don't use plastics, aren't Jewish, etc.) and I don't want to start off my relationship with the teacher on a bad footing.

That being said, I did email the office and ask why the specificity. I didn't get an answer except, "buy any pencils you like!"

:hysterical:

KpbS
07-21-2011, 10:17 PM
That being said, I did email the office and ask why the specificity. I didn't get an answer except, "buy any pencils you like!"

:hysterical:

Confirmation they are just messing with your mind! Mead pencils........!

alien_host
07-21-2011, 10:50 PM
At least you have your supply list. I got DD's teacher assignment and report card 2 days after school ended. The teacher must know what supplies they want, WTH didn't the list come with the other info?

Now I'm just guessing what might be needed and trying to buy stuff on sale. FWIW, I had this same issue last year but it was Kinder and they didn't issue the class list until August, but for first grade I really think they could have sent the list already (and saved the postage by not having a separate mailing).

Sorry for the tangent...

Penny's Pappa
07-21-2011, 11:35 PM
And if doesn't matter why not just say PENCILS. Why bother to say MEAD pencils?????

Because not all pencils are as sharp as they should be if you catch my drift.

Again, relax, they're just pencils. Your kids are going to be doing multiplication tables with them, not signing Middle East Peace accords. Why give a damn what kind of pencils you buy? Just buy whatever you feel like and if the teacher pitches a fit tell them, "Tough ****. They're. Just. Pencils."

egoldber
07-22-2011, 06:50 AM
I hope you realize I was (mostly) joking. ;) And I now have several years experience with school (older DD going into 5th grade) so I am now a lot better at interpreting these lists to cut through to what is important. But when she was younger and I was new at this stuff, I thought they said things like "Mead pencils" for a reason and I would go to 5 stores looking for the right thing. Now I get that mostly no, it's just about have a pencil, any pencil.

But in some ways it really isn't about the pencils. It's about the whole issue of getting imprecise, incorrect, poorly written and confusing information from school. Misspelled notes from teachers teaching my kids spelling. Poor grammar in notes from principals. Things marked incorrect that are actually correct. I really just try not to think about it too hard. But OTOH, I see plenty of this stuff at work too, so I guess it's rampant.

Maybe I'm just old and cranky. :o