PDA

View Full Version : I have to brag...

sarahsthreads
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I am so excited! DD2 fell in our inground pool the first day of the season. She was wearing a life vest, but still got quite the mouthful of water. And she went from absolutely fearless (which scared the #$@*&^ out of me) to absolutely terrified of the water (better, but I was going for "healthy respect"). Since that day, she'd only sit on the side of the pool, or maybe on the top step, and if you tried to bring her in the water she'd cling to you with a death grip - we were affectionately calling her "barnacle baby".

Today I had a couple of friends and their kids over to swim, and about a half hour into us all being in the pool, while she was clinging to me for dear life, something must have just clicked. And suddenly she realized her life vest would keep her afloat. The kid was "peddling" (her word) all around the pool for the next HOUR AND A HALF. (Which meant I was following her around for that whole time. In and out of the deep end. She'd climb up the ladder, walk around to the steps and start to get back in, while I swam like a maniac the length of the pool to get to her before she got in the water again. I am completely exhausted!)

But no more abject terror. Maybe at her swimming lesson tomorrow she'll actually let the instructor take her out into the water...?

Sarah :)

crl
07-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Yay!

Catherine

DebbieJ
07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I know that exhaustion! My almost 2 yo won't let anyone else hold him in the pool but me, and he is a wiggly little worm!

Hope swim lessons go well tomorrow!