PDA

View Full Version : Fever but no other symptoms?

KrystalS
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
DS(9m) started running fever late last night. I thought he felt warm earlier in the evening but we had been outside most of the evening and it was hot. He has no other symptoms, fever is brought down with motrin but comes back within an hour or 2. He is super fussy with the fever, which I know is normal. Once it comes down he seems okay, definitely not his normal self but not as fussy. Any idea what this could be? Just a virus maybe? We are going out of town for 2 wks on Sunday and I really don't want this to turn into something more!

He also had his first ear infection about a month ago. One round of antibiotics seemed to clear it up. This was the first time he has been sick.

daisymommy
07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Ear or throat infection, or teething (if it's under 101). Was he recently vaccinated? that can cause a fever too.
Or, it could be the beginning of something else (I'm sorry!)

LMPC
07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
If there are no other symptoms, I was going to guess teething. DD was always warm right before she got a tooth.

ohiomom1121
07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
All three of my kids have had a 24 hr. fever this week with no other symptoms. Very strange, but everyone seems to have gotten over it quickly.

ashleybama24
07-21-2011, 01:20 PM
DS had it and gave it to my mom. She said she was achy and feverish and fine 24 hrs later.

lowrioh
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I would say teething too. DD2 had a fever last night when I got home from work and lots of drool. This morning she had a loose BM. Classic signs of teething.

3blackcats
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
DD2 at 3months had a high fever that would come down with motrin. It was a bladder infection. She had no symptoms but the fever.

soon2b4
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I would guess teething or a virus. DD has had a couple of "fever virus"es - just fever and fuss and some lethargy - no other symptoms. Sorry! Good luck!

SpaceGal
07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Could it just be heat exhaustion. As long as he isn't acting to far off I would just make him comfortable and it should pass. DS1 showed signs of a minor fever one night and next morning he was fine. Maybe it's a summer thing.

Teething could be it too.

Smillow
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
DS woke up with a fever this morning, too - no other symptoms. He had a similar bout with fever only a couple of months ago...

KrystalS
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I went ahead and took DS into the ped this morning because we are going out of town on Sunday. No ear infection, thank goodness! Dr said it is probably some kind of virus and his body is just fighting it off with the fever. He still has no other symptoms. He's been asleep for 2 hrs now and I'm hoping he will wake up feeling better!

He doesn't seem to be teething, its usually very obvious. He already has 8 teeth, but I will definitely watch and see if another tooth is coming in.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hate not knowing what is wrong with him especially when he seems to be in pain!

Mikey0709
07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Where are you located - because I think the SAME thing is going around here. My son had a fever for 24 hours - around 2 weeks ago.... then went away....but was burning up all day.

Last weekend I actually woke up in the middle of the night and turned the air conditioners on - thought it was SO humid I was sweating... and i NEVER sweat. The next morning took the kids to my moms and commented about the HORRID humidity..... and come to find out I WAS THE ONLY ONE HOT or SWEATING! Took my temp and I had a Fever - - but otherwise felt OK? I was literally up to 102! Tylenol helped - then FINE the next morning.

WEIRD! We're located in S.E. Pennsylvania - Philly suburbs.

I'm thinking it's something going around...

indigo99
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
DS had a fever of 102 all day today. He also has a runny nose (clear) that is causing a slight cough as it drains in his throat. I'm hoping he's better tomorrow. As much as I love having a cuddly little baby who just wants to be held all day, I hate seeing him feel so horrible.

ashleybama24
07-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I went ahead and took DS into the ped this morning because we are going out of town on Sunday. No ear infection, thank goodness! Dr said it is probably some kind of virus and his body is just fighting it off with the fever. He still has no other symptoms. He's been asleep for 2 hrs now and I'm hoping he will wake up feeling better!

He doesn't seem to be teething, its usually very obvious. He already has 8 teeth, but I will definitely watch and see if another tooth is coming in.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hate not knowing what is wrong with him especially when he seems to be in pain!

They can do a finger prick blood test to determine if it's bacterial vs viral if you really want to be certain.

KrystalS
07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
I think teething is causing DSs fever. He has still been super fussy all afternoon and evening. He was chewing on something earlier and I noticed his gums are really red. Does anyone know if the Hylands teething tablets are back in stores yet? I know they released them again because I saw it on Facebook but I wasn't sure if they have actually made it to stores yet.

Tylenol/Motrin seems to be helping with the fever but it definitely isn't going away. This is the first time he has run a fever due to teething.

daisymommy
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Oragel just came out with a natural based teething gel (that numbs, with clove oil).
Hylands has a non-recalled teething gel that has the same ingredients as the tablets.
Target carries both...I think maybe Walmart too.
You can also do cold teething rings (the ones that are filled with water/gel).

JTsMom
07-22-2011, 09:07 AM
We also had the 24 fever, no other symptoms thing here a few a weeks ago. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but that was it. Weird.