PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been away from your DC?

BabyBearsMom
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
DH is turning 30 this year and for his birthday he wants us to go on a vacation together just the two of us. We have talked about going on a cruise or to an island. DH wants to do 5 to 7 nights. While the prospect of relaxing on a beach somewhere lovely for a week sounds very appealing, the thought of being in a different country from DD for a week sounds horrible to me. I keep thinking that I would only be able to call her every other day and just say a few words because the calling rates are pretty pricey. And what if she needed me and I am stuck on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic. When DH and I talked about it last night, I literally felt panicky. DH thinks I need to "cut the chord" at some point and DD will be nearly 2 at the time that we would be going. When did you first go away without your kids for more than a night?

As an aside, my parents would take care of DD while I was gone and I know that they would do an excellent job caring for her. I have no real reason to feel panicky, I just do.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
i think the longest i have been away from DS is when i was in the hospital after giving birth to DD (about 2-3 days?). that was the first time i had been away from him overnight. he was 14 mos.

i think i too would be anxious to leave DCs for an entire week, esp if i was going to a foreign country and DH would not be with them either. could you do a weekend trip maybe somewhere closer? DH & I are talking about doing that for our 5 year anniversary (will be next year, and DS will be 2.5 and DD will be about 16 mos). we'd probably do something like fly to grandparents, stay for a couple days, then leave them there for the weekend while we go somewhere nearby. i personally wouldn't be comfortable with more than 2-3 days though at this age. i think i'd be too worried and/or i would eventually miss them too much to enjoy myself properly.

khalloc
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
8 days. 8 days of pure heaven!

Had to add that once you are in paradise, you will not miss your DC as much. Its so so so so nice. My parents or DH's parents have always watched the kids when we are on vacation and I feel pretty confident in them to do a good job. I havent missed them too much and it makes the day you come home better because you get to see them. So usually on vacation you dont want it to end, but at least this way you have something to look forward too. I've been on 3 trips so far without the kiddos. 8 days, 6 days and 8 days. All were fantastic. Didnt think about the kids that much when I was laying on the beach with a frozen drink in my hand!

elephantmeg
07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
up to this point 3 days. We're going away for a week (8 days or so actually) in a couple weeks for our 10th anniversary. This is probably the earliest I would have considered being away-and we will be in the US (driving to Ocracoke-about 12 hours away). At this age (DD is 3, almost 3.5 going on 7, lol and DS is 5, almost 5.5) I think they'll be fine. They'll continue in daycare daily and my parents are staying at our house with them.

cvanbrunt
07-21-2011, 11:53 AM
I took a group of students to the Galapagos for 13 days when DD1 was 4 months old. I took another group on the same trip when DD2 was 3 months old and her sister was 2 yo.

Go. It will be fine. It's good for the marriage.

nfowife
07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
When DS was about 13 months (DD was almost 3) DH and I went on a 5 night ski trip. It was awesome!! I felt very refreshed when I came home. But we were only a short plane ride away, still in the US, and my in-laws, who are very trustworthy, were watching them.

DD2, I haven't been away from her for more than a few hours yet. But she's still nursing. Hopefully next summer DH and I can get away for a few day solo trip when the in-laws are here again.

Snow mom
07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I hadn't spent any nights away from DD until she was over 2. I then spent 2 nights a few hours away for a job interview and about a month later 2 1/2 weeks in a remote cabin in Canada (although I did have access to a phone.) DD was with DH both times though. I'm not sure when I'll be willing to leave her with my parents for any length of time. Maybe in a year or two? I can't imagine leaving her with anyone else.

lcarlson90
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I think DS1 was 9 months when I went to Las Vegas for a 2 night getaway. Since then I have done 4 night trips to New York and Hawaii and a 3 night trip to Cabo. I feel bad for saying this but I didn't miss my kids that much while I was gone. I was in heaven!! Being able to sleep in and eat dinner with my husband and have an actual conversation was great.

I do think I would be uncomfortable being a cruise because you can't really get off. What about flying to a tropical destination? At least if there is an emergency you can change your reservation and fly home early.

wellyes
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I haven't been away from DD for more than 2 nights yet, and she's 3.
That was to have DS.

I don't think there is anything remotely wrong with spending time away, or *wanting* to spend time away, but don't go if it makes you uncomfortable.

For me, ideal scenario would be 8 day vacation with just you & DH, but bring along the kids AND YOUR PARENTS TO WATCH THEM. We bring MIL on vacation with us every year now, she's great with them, and it makes me so happy to have the kids nearby ---- but still being free to have fun without them!

sarahsthreads
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Except for one night in the hospital when DD2 was born, I've never been away from either DD overnight. DH travels for work 2-3x per year, but I'm always home with them when he's gone.

We are just now starting to talk about traveling to ILs place (near NYC) and leaving the kids overnight with them while we go to a Broadway show and stay in Manhattan overnight. Next spring...the girls will be 7 and 3.5 then. This plan does not make me feel panicky, but this past spring I could not have done it.

I really do think I'm in the minority, though. DH and I occasionally go out to dinner and let someone else (usually my parents or his) handle bedtime, and that's enough for us. We want to travel, but we prefer to bring the kids - crazy, I know. We're not really take a cruise/relax on a beach vacation kind of people, so it doesn't make sense *for us* to leave the kids to go on vacation. :)

Sarah :)

lhafer
07-21-2011, 12:14 PM
i think the longest i have been away from DS is when i was in the hospital after giving birth to DD (about 2-3 days?). that was the first time i had been away from him overnight. he was 14 mos.

:yeahthat: Except mine was 4yrs old when DD2 was born!! And DH stayed home at night with her!! That was the first time I've been away from her.

I am SOOOOO ready to have a weekend getaway with just my DH. But now DD2 is 17 months old, and I'm not quite ready to leave her just yet. Maybe in another year or so. I'm hoping once she's potty trained, we can take more frequent trips because the GPs are more willing with potty trained kids.

lowrioh
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
DH and I went to Philly for 9 days when DD was ~10 months old. Even though it was for my job it was bliss! I've been away from her a couple of times since for 4-7 days at a time.
I would totally go to an island or cruise. If you go to Mexico (I love Tulum) the calling rates aren't too bad especially if you get a prepaid system like Pingo.

LMPC
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I really do think I'm in the minority, though. DH and I occasionally go out to dinner and let someone else (usually my parents or his) handle bedtime, and that's enough for us. We want to travel, but we prefer to bring the kids - crazy, I know. We're not really take a cruise/relax on a beach vacation kind of people, so it doesn't make sense *for us* to leave the kids to go on vacation. :)

This is us, too. I have never been away overnight from DD but DH has been gone on business for 2 weeks....he was miserable. I have a friend who is always badgering me to go on vaca without DD. It works for her and her DH to do that, but DH and I are fine the way we are right now. If we were going to go away, I imagine it would be more like a weekend rather than a week.

BabbyO
07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Go. It will be fine. It's good for the marriage.

:yeahthat:

--When DS was about 7-8 mo old I had a 3 day work trip.
--When he was 14-15 mo old DH and I went to Greece for 10 days. We were able to email IL's once while we were gone. (IL's & my parents each watched DS for 1/2 the time).
--When DS was about 20 mo I had another 3 day work trip, was home for 24 hr, and then was back on a plane for a long weekend in NYC without DS.

DS has also done a few 1-2 night stays at IL's or my parents so DH and I can work around the house or have a night to ourselves. As a matter of fact he stayed at my parents house last weekend (Fri & Sat night and most of Sunday).

He LOVES it...and rarely even asks for us (but is always happy to see us when we get home).

I will say that the 10 days is Greece was bliss to me. I missed DS...but it was a much needed break away for me. I'd just finished nursing him...and due to his food allergies (and our refusal to spend the $$ on the special formula he'd need) I'd been tied to him or a pump for the entire previous 12 mo. I loved nursing...but after a year of watching every morsel that went into my mouth, dragging my pump everywhere, timing everything around nursing or pumping, it was really nice to get away with none of those attachments.

mackmama
07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I haven't yet - DC is 7mo. :)

mommylamb
07-21-2011, 12:34 PM
The longest I was away was my 9 day trip to China last year. But, DH was home with DS. DH and I have been away from DS multiple times, but only for 1 night at a time. But next summer, DH will be coming with me to Puerto Rico for work and we do not intend to bring DS. That will probably be 6 nights away. All my travel is for work. It kind of sucks.

Melaine
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Ummm....I left the girls one night when DH had a plumbing related emergency back at our house (we were staying with my parents at the time). I drove there after their bedtime and came back the next morning early. Other than that, nope. At this point we probably should do at least a one night getaway but we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

ha98ed14
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Three and a half weeks. My mom was sick and needed me to be with her. DD went to MIL's for that time. She still talks about what a great time she had.

Clarity
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Let's see. I went into the hospital to give birth to dd2 at 2:30a.m. Friday morning and came home at 2p.m. Sunday afternoon. That long.

arivecchi
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
A couple of days (2-3) with each kid and DH or the nanny has always stayed with them when I(we) am(are) gone. They are only used to us or our nanny so there is no one to leave them with that the kids would be happy with.

wencit
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
When DS1 was almost 2 years old, DH and I did a weekend ski vacation for 2 nights to Tahoe (only a 4-hour drive away at the time). DS1 stayed with my mom and never once asked for me! Since DS2 was born, I have never been away from the kids overnight.

karstmama
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
i've been away for a week at a time 6-8 times. we live with my mama, so he stayed in his home with his other 'parent' and we talked on the phone. he's a very non-separation-anxiety kinda guy.

if it's the being out of contact that's scariest, how about a florida or similar beach retreat for a week?

egoldber
07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
When older DD was almost 2, we went away for 5 days. MIL stayed with her. We did the same trip again the next year.

After younger DD was born, it was harder, because she nursed until she was 3.5. But once she was 2 I was comfortable going away for a long weekend. I have been on a couple girls weekend trips and DH and I did a 4 day weekend while MIL stayed with both girls. That as actually pretty hard on MIL because younger DD is very active and both kids need a lot of driving around. I did not want to be that far away, so we actually did a bit of a "staycation" where we stayed in a hotel and "played tourist" but it was all close by.

Next year is our 20th wedding anniversary and we are trying to figure out some place to go for at least a long weekend!

boolady
07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Three nights. We did it when DD was about 1, did a two-nighter when she was about 2, and a three nighter last September at a B&B on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that was incredibly relaxing. I'm willing to go away for a bit longer, but only because I'm very lucky to have several great childcare options in my parents and sisters.

llama8
07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
One week in Las Vegas/Grand Canyon with DH when DD was 9 months old. She stayed with her Grandparents.

I booked the trip/plane tickets 1 week before I found out I was pregnant. I was able to postpone the trip, but had to use the tickets in 1 year or we would lose all of our money.

Although I felt bad leaving DD, I wasn't going to throw away over 1000 dollars. It worked out very well. DH and I were able to get a much needed break and reconnect before I went back to work after taking a 9 month maternity leave from my teaching job.

Sometimes it is important to get away!

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2011, 01:49 PM
8 days when ds1 was 7 and ds2 was 2. It was fine and very nice, in fact. We were out of the country too. Before that, just weekends here and there. Grandparents are with the kids.

Beth

Mommy_Mea
07-21-2011, 01:51 PM
The longest is 2 nights. The first time was when he was 16 months old, I flew across the country for my best friend's wedding shower and bachelorette party. He decided to start walking that weekend, little bugger :)

The second time was when I was in the hospital having DS2.

DH and I haven't gotten away together yet. I would like to plan something for next year when DS2 weans, and when we feel we have money again (just bought a house).

khalloc
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I cant tell you enough to just go and have fun. Its so nice to get away with DH and not have kids nagging us. And just to be able to sit down and relax and not worry about the kiddos. I imagine its easier for us WOH parents to leave our children while we vacation. Most SAHMs I know can't imagine doing it.

bostonsmama
07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Ouch! I think I'm the only one, then, who was absolutely traumatized for life by my parents' packing up for a week and going to the Bahamas. I was 6 and cried myself to sleep every single night. Perhaps they waited too long. Maybe I wouldn't have remembered if they had done it when I was two.

I just figure at this point that my child is a new part of my life, and this stage won't last forever.

DH & I were planning our 10yr anny trip for years, but now that DD is here, there's no way I wouldn't take her. I like the idea of bringing along a grandparent under the assumption that s/he would watch my child for that much-needed alone time.

DD isn't a year yet, but the most time I've spent away is 4hrs, and I was 10 minutes away. I could NEVER leave her for more than 2 days, and it's hard to imagine even that--and I desperately need a break at times.

khalloc
07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Well when my DD was 10 months old I couldnt imagine leaving her either. Then she was 18 months old and it became something that I could do, especially for a trip to Aruba! I think waiting too long could be the wrong choice for some kids. My kids love staying with their grandparents and having their own vacation too.

scriptkitten
07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
i think i've done 3nights.

i'm planning to do longer pretty soon.

do it. its fun.

BabyBearsMom
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Just to clarify, I have no worries about DD while we are gone. She loves her grandparents (now that she isn't scared of them anymore) and always has a great time with them. It is me that I am worried about. I still miss her when I am at work and I have been back at work since she was 8 weeks old!

Staraglimmer
07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
When my grandmother had a stroke, I was away for 3 days/nights, but it all seemed like one long nightmarish day :(. Other than that, I think less than 12 hours, once or twice (not including preschool).

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

khalloc
07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Just to clarify, I have no worries about DD while we are gone. She loves her grandparents (now that she isn't scared of them anymore) and always has a great time with them. It is me that I am worried about. I still miss her when I am at work and I have been back at work since she was 8 weeks old!

Yes, but a vacation is so much better than working. You will enjoy yourself and not miss DD as much.

KrisM
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
We've each been away for up to 2 nights, but not at the same time. Since DS1 was born over 7 years ago, we've never had a night with no kids. I'd like one, but I have no one to take the kids overnight.

DH and I both have a few nights a year away from the rest of the family and it is really nice!

eh613c
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Like one PP, the longest I've been away from DS1 was when I gave birth to DS2 which was 3 days. The first time DH and I left DS1 for an overnight was when he was 14 months. Now that have DS2, we won't be leaving our DC with my in-laws for a while.

KrisM
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Let's see. I went into the hospital to give birth to dd2 at 2:30a.m. Friday morning and came home at 2p.m. Sunday afternoon. That long.

Oh, you reminded me! DH and I did have 1 night together with no kids. A friend came over last fall at 11pm so I could take DH to the ER. I stayed with him a bit and left about 3am. So, a good 4 hours of togetherness :).

kmm
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM
The first time I left my older daughter was for two nights while we were at the hospital with our younger daughter. The girls are now 3 and 10 months and I have yet to spend a night away from them. We have an opportunity to leave the girls with my parents in November while we go on a vacation but I'm not sure I can leave them yet! But I do think it would be good for our marriage.

rin
07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I've never spent a night away from my DD. She's currently 14.5 months and still nurses during the night :bag so I wouldn't be comfortable having her spend a night away from me unless it was an emergency. If she were weaned I might be more comfortable with it, and I'm sure when she's older I'll be thrilled if we have a chance to have a getaway while she stays with my parents, but right now I don't think it would go well at all.

kijip
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
5 nights when T was 4. With the exception of single night babysitting trades with my brother (Over a two day period my kids sleep over there one night and his girls come here for 1 night sporadically, giving each couple the night off wnd the cousins 2 great fun days and sleepovers), we have not gone away since F was born.

DietCokeLover
07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I have never been away from both of my children. I was away from DD when DS was born - I think 2 days. She was 11 months old then.

And up until this past weekend, when I flew to another state to attend a funeral, I had not been away from them. I took DS with me (he is a mama's boy and would have driven DH completely insane without me). So, I was away from DD for 4 days.

infomama
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Two days...I missed them terribly.

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
When DD1 was 15 months old, DH and I went to FL for 5 days to celebrate finishing our Master's degrees. DD stayed with my parents. A few months later she stayed with the in-laws for the weekend while DH and I traveled to a wedding.

When DS (who is my youngest) was 9 months old, I went to Korea for a week with a friend who asked me to travel with her to bring home her adopted son. DH stayed with all three kids.

Last March I went to LA for a week to visit my best friend and DH stayed with the kids (who were 8, 6.5 and 4.5).

DH and I have done many weekends away over the past 8.5 years, and I have traveled on several occasions to spend the weekend with my best friend (who has lived all over the country) and my sisters. I have never once regretted any of my/our trips!

AnnieW625
07-21-2011, 04:56 PM
We did 4 nights when DD1 was 22 months old. We had thought about a cruise to Mexico, and around that same time we found out our friends were getting married in Hawai'i and we thought about leaving DD1 and going but we thought it would've been more fun to take DD1 with us, but we would've lost a week's worth of daycare tuition and we didn't want to do that. So in the end we ended up taking a road trip up the central coast of California so we were never more than 5 hrs. from DD1 (she stayed with her god parents). It worked out fine. Then I wasn't apart from DD1 more than overnight (she'd stay at her gp's house occaisionally overnight) until I went into labor with DD2. She was 4 then.

With DD2 she has spent the night at DD1's gp's starting at about 6 or 7 months old. DD2 slept through the night at 2 months old (before she was weaned) so we were comfortable with her spending the night early on and she was only 10 miles away. We are hoping for another long weekend trip again next year so DD2 will be about the same age as DD1 was when we left her for more than a night.

Canna
07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
DDs are 6 and 3. I have been away from them for around 3 days while at a conference. They were with DH. We have never left the two of them alone without a parent (even overnight). I would consider it but there is honestly no one I would really fully trust to do it at this point.

ETA: I just realized your DD is potentially less than a year old, or around 1 year. At that age I would definitely not have felt comfortable leaving my kids. When I went to conferences at that point, I took my mom with me to care for the baby, or the whole family went. I think it's important to trust your instincts about it.

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
DH is turning 30 this year and for his birthday he wants us to go on a vacation together just the two of us. We have talked about going on a cruise or to an island. DH wants to do 5 to 7 nights. While the prospect of relaxing on a beach somewhere lovely for a week sounds very appealing, the thought of being in a different country from DD for a week sounds horrible to me. I keep thinking that I would only be able to call her every other day and just say a few words because the calling rates are pretty pricey. And what if she needed me and I am stuck on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic. When DH and I talked about it last night, I literally felt panicky. DH thinks I need to "cut the chord" at some point and DD will be nearly 2 at the time that we would be going. When did you first go away without your kids for more than a night?

As an aside, my parents would take care of DD while I was gone and I know that they would do an excellent job caring for her. I have no real reason to feel panicky, I just do.

I was just re-reading this and thinking...

Would DH agree to go somewhere a bit closer to home? Miami Beach? The Keys? Bermuda? On our first vacation away from DD1 (at 15 months) we stayed here: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Don-CeSar-Hotel/
It wasn't super far away from home, but felt like another planet (in a GREAT way!).

I think that leaving your first can be hard, but I bet she'd have lots of fun with her grandparents, especially if she'll be nearly 2. I say go for it! I really don't think you'll regret it!

niccig
07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
On day 9, and will see DS tomorrow.

I just read an article about 3 relationships in a marriage. What is good for you, what is good for thea spouse, and what is good for the relationship. The author, a marriage counsellor, said without the latter, putting what is good for the relationship first, can severly hurt a marriage.

That said, 10 days is too long for me, i didn't need anytime away. DH needed it, work has been difficult for the last year, and he has been fabulous supporting my return to school. DS is 6 yo, and has had a great time with ILs and with his cousins. He has spoken to us for a minute every day: hi mummy, I love you, can I go now as I am playing..no tears at all from him.

We have gone away before, so this isn't first time. On my first time, I needed alcohol to get on the plane, this time I was fine, as knew DS would be fine.

IMO, listen to what your DH is saying he needs. It will be good for the two of you for some time alone. If it is too far, suggest something closer. DC will be with grandparents, and it is great bonding time for them, and time for you to nurture your marriage.

tribe pride
07-21-2011, 05:55 PM
At this point, I haven't really been away from them. I was away from DS1 for 2 nights when DS2 was born a year and a half ago. Other than that, until a couple of months ago I hadn't been away from them for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. But this past Spring, DH and I took a day trip, and I had 10 whole hours away. And in a couple of weeks we're taking 3 days away by ourselves- we're super excited!

megs4413
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
last week when I went to find a house in texas while DH stayed here with the kids. I was gone from monday afternoon until friday evening so really only 4 days and I almost had a nervous breakdown. I'd never done more than a night away from either of them before that and NEVER that kind of distance. I did not like it and do not plan to do it again.

belovedgandp
07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
If you have someone you trust to watch your DC and the resources to take the trip, then go for it! It will be stressful leaving and will take a few days to get back in the routine once home, but you won't regret it.

DS1 is 7 1/2 now. We started leaving him with my parents overnight regularly at 18 months. The longest he's spent there was 9 days when we went on a trip out of the country. That was at just over 2 years old. We've left him and his younger brother with my parents countless times overnight and a good half dozen for two or three nights.

Sadly counter intuitive for me is that it is getting harder to leave as they get older. We now have three kids and the sheer effort to keep track of them is harder on my parents now. Plus scheduling around school and activities means we're having a harder time leaving now then when they were younger. So do it while you can!

daniele_ut
07-21-2011, 06:55 PM
The longest that dh and I have been away from the kids TOGETHER is 4 nights. We took that trip for our 10th anniversary.

However, when DS was 19 months old DH went on a tour of the UK with his orchestra and was gone for 20 days. I just got back on Monday after being gone on a 20 day long work trip and it was WAY too long.

BayGirl2
07-21-2011, 07:04 PM
DH and I have both been away separately for work trips, but never both at the same time. But I really wish we could be. The barrier for us has been having someone to care for DS that we trust and aren't imposing on - and the fact that now I'm pregnant again so a trip doesn't really seem that appealing. There is a Mediterranean cruise w/ our wine club that I would LOVE to take. But DD will be only a month old so its just too early to leave her. The vacations we've had with DS have been ok, but he always gets sick and we are just limited in what we can do. If I knew I could get my mom to come out to stay with the kids for that long I would definitely plan something.

If a cruise or foreign country seem like too much then do something a little closer. If your DH is pushing for it, I agree its probably important for the marriage.

deborah_r
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I was away from DS1 for about 1 week when he was 3.5 years old - I had to travel for my nephew's funeral and I was pregnant. I was away from DS1 again for about a week when he was 5.5 and my mother was very ill. I took DS2 with me (DS1 had school). So I guess I've never been away from DS2 overnight.

DH has been away for a night or two here and there for business.

DH and I have never, not one night, been away from the kids together. I'm working on it, LOL! 8 years and counting. Without family nearby, it is very difficult to make that happen.

g-mama
07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
The first time I was ever away overnight was when my kids were 6, 3 and 1. We went for three nights to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and MIL stayed with them.

Prior to that, I was away from them overnight when in the hospital having a baby, but I'm not sure that really counts, IMO.

We've since done one 24-hour trip, last year.

I would not have a problem going away, I just don't have anyone offering to take my kids. MIL can handle it better now that they're older, but it's still hard for her b/c it's just her and they are three active boys. I understand, but wish it were different.

I do remember feeling differently about it than I do now when I had just one and he was a baby or toddler. Separating comes easier as they get older, or as they have siblings to keep them company, maybe.

army_mom
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
When DD was 6 months old, I deployed for 11 months (DH left when she was 6 weeks). DD stayed with ILs the whole time and even though she wasn't old enough to *really* get into it, we skyped very often. My MIL posted pics of us all over her house and played DVDs of us reading to her so she saw us and heard us as she grew up. She has a very special bond with her Nana and Poppa so I would not hesitate to leave her with them and take a trip with DH (we will do this in a few years when we move back to near where they live). I recently had a 3 week military school where we had no outside contact and that was very hard, especially since it was just DD with DH and he had NEVER had her alone for more than a few hours. They survived and have actually bonded much more now! (Sometimes it is SOOOO nice to hear "No, Daddy do it!") I have another 3 week course in September but will be able to Skype with DD. Now that she is old enough and understands Skype, it will be much easier to be away. Because DH and I travel often, DD understands being away and skype. We wouldn't hesitate to leave DD, but all of us are used to it so our situation is a little unusual :)

ilfaith
07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
The first time I left my children they were 6 years, 4 years, and 16 months. DH and I took a 10th anniversary trip to Israel. We were gone for 11 days and my parents came down to stay with the boys.

LexyLou
07-21-2011, 11:54 PM
My mom and I went to China last year. I was gone for 10 days. I missed them but it was an amazing experience and everyone was fine and happy. I would do it again, guilt free.

s7714
07-22-2011, 12:05 AM
The longest I've been away was for about 7 days when I was traveling for my grandmother's funeral. I missed them terribly at first, but admit by the end I was enjoying the freedom (despite the circumstances of course).

Aside from that it's only been single nights away and those are few and far between.

hillview
07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
We did a couple of weekend trips before DS2 was 2. We did a week in Paris when DS2 was 2.5 and then a week in Miami when DS2 was 3.5. TOTALLY worth it. I felt bad a few times but for our marriage it was so fantastic.

Sillygirl
07-22-2011, 11:23 PM
The boys are leaving tomorrow for Camp Grandma. They'll be about 500 miles away, we'll go get them in two weeks. I'll miss them but will also enjoy the time with DH, and they will see my ILs and many cousins. They'll have a great time.

essnce629
07-23-2011, 04:06 AM
We went to Vegas for 2 nights when DS1 was two and had weaned already. He stayed with my mom and Vegas was a 5 hour drive away. I haven't left DS2 overnight yet since he's still nursing. We had a chance to go last month to DBF's best friend's wedding which was on the east coast, but I decided to just send DBF on his own. DS2 still nurses before bed and doesn't do well when my mom tries to put him to sleep. He's VERY attached to me. After he stops breastfeeding I think it will be easier to leave him. The longest I've been away from him was about 9 hours for my high school reunion when he was 10 weeks old.

JTsMom
07-23-2011, 09:03 AM
The longest I've ever been totally away from DS1 was when he was 1 day old and Life Flighted to a different hospital- 24 hours. When I had DS2. he came to visit,, and I got home quickly (although I was in labor forever). My mom was already about to lose her mind. DS2 will only go to sleep nursing, and then wants to be held the whole time. I can't imagine anyone dealing with him at this point. DS1 is so challenging that I feel guilty even doing something like going out to dinner. It's really pathetic. DH and I have no alone time together ever.

sewarsh
07-23-2011, 09:15 AM
6 days. across the country (live in philly, vacationed in san fran).
it was GREAT! But i will say, come day 5 i was ready to be home.

we've done 5 day vacations about 3x and they were perfect.

you'll be so suprised...out of sight, out of mind. i actually stopped calling home because i'd get sad when i'd hear their voices.

i'd just suggest to go somewhere that is adults only because if there are kids all around you, you'll miss yours (that's how i felt).

ETA: I just briefly flipped through some of the comments and am surprised how many people do not get away with their DH or with their girlfriends! its healthy for EVERYONE! healthy for mom/day to spend time together ALONE, healthy for mom to have girl time and healthy for the kids to bond with grandparents. You really deserve a break and your DC will be fine. you will not regret getting away.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
ETA: I just briefly flipped through some of the comments and am surprised how many people do not get away with their DH or with their girlfriends! its healthy for EVERYONE! healthy for mom/day to spend time together ALONE, healthy for mom to have girl time and healthy for the kids to bond with grandparents. You really deserve a break and your DC will be fine. you will not regret getting away.

oh i totally agree that getting away is healthy, i honestly cannot wait until dh & i can go away somewhere and be alone for a few days. for me, though, i think it is just out of the question for the next year or so since my DC are so little still. one big thing is the breastfeeding...i refuse to deal with a breastpump when i'm on vacation!! LOL. the other thing is, my parents still work and FIL still works FT, neither set travel very much at all so having them watch kids for an entire week is not something that's so easy to set up. a weekend seems doable though, and i am looking forward to eventually doing it!

weech
07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
DH and I went to Cancun for his 30th birthday a few months ago - we were there for 5 days. It took me a day to get used to being away from DS, but once I did it was awesome. We had the most wonderful time.

We made an agreement before we had DS that we'd take at least one adult vacation per year. Traveling and couple time has always been a big priority for us. We're planning a trip for next year - probably a european cruise for 10 days or so. I would definitely try doing a couple trips closer to home before you do a cruise or international trip though. I think it's totally worth it. DS really loves being with his grandparents and I'm glad he has a super close bond with them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-23-2011, 02:35 PM
We weren't apart from either kid till they were done nursing. I wouldnt want to deal with the logistics otherwise.
Beth

twowhat?
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been away a few times for 1 night. But not for pleasure. First time was a wedding in which I was a bridesmaid, rushed in day of wedding and rushed back morning after. Next 2-3 times were one night for work during which I worked until 10pm each night, then hurried to catch a flight back in the morning.

eta: wasn't sure if OP meant with DH or without...DH and I have never been away for more than a couple of hours. Grandparents and aging/health issues don't allow it, and we simply have not put a whole lot of effort into looking for a sitter because the thought of the effort actually exhausts us - the girls take a VERY LONG TIME to warm up to a stranger. Hopefully when they are older we will be able to!

o_mom
07-23-2011, 03:22 PM

A very nice sentiment if you have someone that can take the kids. :)

Not every set of grandparents is able to handle young kids for extended periods. We were blessed with a very difficult third child and a set of grandparents that has aging-related issues which makes it impossible for them to have them alone for extended periods at this point. I'm hoping in another year we can make it work, but we have never been able to leave all three kids overnight in almost 8 years. It has nothing do do with concern about missing the kids or them missing us. ;)

Gracemom
07-23-2011, 04:22 PM
My DH and I took a 7 day cruise when my DD was 2 1/2 and I was pregnant with my DS. I had family I trusted to take care of her, and she did great. By the last day, I missed her terribly, and the boat couldn't go fast enough!

sewarsh
07-23-2011, 04:58 PM
A very nice sentiment if you have someone that can take the kids. :)

Not every set of grandparents is able to handle young kids for extended periods. We were blessed with a very difficult third child and a set of grandparents that has aging-related issues which makes it impossible for them to have them alone for extended periods at this point. I'm hoping in another year we can make it work, but we have never been able to leave all three kids overnight in almost 8 years. It has nothing do do with concern about missing the kids or them missing us. ;)

absolutely, and we are actually reaching that point now that we are having a 3rd. we're planning a 3 night vacation with friends when our 3rd will be 6 months and so we're actually flying my mom in to take care of baby while inlaws take care of older 2.

but i guess i was also making the point that even if you don't have someone to leave the kids with, its great for moms to get away with girlfriends and leave the kids with dad and vice-versa. just nice to get away, but i know its hard to take that initial plunge and i know that we are very fortunate to have grandparents that are able to help us do this. its much easier said than done. Speaking to the OP, it seems she has the grandparents to watch her DC so I was just telling her to go for it IMO.

ZeeBaby
07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I have been away from DDs for two 5 day vacations. One with my BFFs and another with DH. I am blessed to have family about two hours away that we can leave the kids with so we can do a couples vacation together. We did have to bring the kids to my family's city and leave from there but it was very worth it. DHis going away for 7 days. Visit his family. I am happy he is getting a chance to get away.