PDA

View Full Version : Need a good "thanks but no thanks" response

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Last year, I helped coach DD#1's co-ed soccer team (ages K - G1). I didn't coach this year b/c she h.a.t.e.d. it. I might coach again if she wants to try again or when DD#2 is old enough.

The other coach I worked with was nice, we got along well. I knew that he had left/been bought out of a family business and was figuring out what to do career-wise.

So, last night (after no contact for a yr), I get an email saying "hi", brief update on his kids, asking if I coached this yr (his kids played in a different league), if I want to coach with him next year. AND, if I could give him my address so he can send me a letter. His signature block is that of a real estate agent.

He didn't actually say it, but I'm figuring that he is now a real estate agent & is looking for business. That realty firm does sell in our area. HOWEVER, we have a real estate agent that sold us our house and with whom we worked for almost 2 yrs looking to move to a different area (found nothing, decided to stay put). If we list, we know we'll list with our agent, not "coach" agent. Its not anything personal against coach agent, just that our own agent spent two yrs looking with us and (no fault of his, just the right property didn't come on the market when we were looking) we like him.

So, I need a nice reply to coach agent. Something along the lines of "nice to hear from you. I didn't coach this yr, DD#1 didn't play. I might coach in the future, not sure. We can keep in touch, it would be fun to coach with you, it worked well. Our address is XXX. It sounds like you have moved into real estate -- great move in a hot market! Best of luck!"

I dunno, I'm not jazzed about this. I don't care about giving him my address (if he checked through his records, he has it from soccer last yr). I just don't want to encourage him that I might give him my business, KWIM? Because that ain't happening, we'd definitely go with (a) an experienced agent and (b) our own agent, b/c he's spent time with us, knows exactly what we want/need, the area we are focusing on, etc.

Thoughts?

BabbyO
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the response you have is actually pretty good. You have made no committment to him. If he sends you info about him as an agent...just toss it. If he asks directly, just let him know that you already have an agent that you've worked with and have a relationship with.

If he pushes (though I don't know that he would) simply use my line..."we don't mix friends/family and business/finances." We learned this lesson the hard way...but will never make that mistake again.

Twoboos
07-21-2011, 12:42 PM
As a former/sometimes real estate agent, there is no way he actually thinks you'll work with him. Maybe you'll pass his name along to someone. Maybe you'll see a For Sale By Owner and mention it to him. But everyone knows sooo many RE agents, I can't imagine he thinks just b/c he sent you a letter he's "your agent."

His letter is just getting his name out there. I've sent countless ones just like that, in the hopes that it might lead to one client or referral.

If he does turn into a pest about it, a simple, "Thanks but we're working with someone else" should do the trick. (SHOULD, LOL.) But if you're not looking to move right now it shouldn't be a problem.

twowhat?
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd almost be inclined to respond to his email with everything you already stated, and simply omit your address. Add "if I know anyone looking for a RE agent I'd be happy to pass on your name". He'll get the hint.

egoldber
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I would just ignore it. He probably also wants to put you on his mailing list. Even if you don't use him, like a PP mentioned, REs live and die by referrals. He's just getting his name out there.

TwinFoxes
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd almost be inclined to respond to his email with everything you already stated, and simply omit your address. Add "if I know anyone looking for a RE agent I'd be happy to pass on your name". He'll get the hint.

That's exactly what I'd do.