PDA

View Full Version : Geotrax FYI

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I know I always recommend Geotrax here and just adding some more props to it. Granted, we have a giant collection which makes it lots of fun but I have an 8yo, a 9yo and a 10yo building and playing with them right now. I'd say I got my $'s worth out of them!

Beth

hellokitty
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Yup, we love them too! It's gotten much more play than wooden thomas. I will always recommend geotrax over wooden thomas, not only b/c of price, but extended play, from when they are very young and all the way until they are older. Plus, those tracks aren't as irritating as the wooden tracks, which come apart very easily for young ones (DS3 just threw massive fits this afternoon playing with our wooden set, b/c the train got derailed b/c of the tracks).

keh602
07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I cannot wait to start building our set! So far we just have the Christmas train and some accessories (which are packed away at least until we move into our new house). MIL and SFIL bought some for their house, and even though all the kids LOVE them, I think SFIL plays with them even more. :ROTFLMAO: He kept their dining room table covered for weeks and kept tweaking his track design. I thought it was pretty adorable. :) He's somewhat of a toy train expert and just raves about Geotrax.

AlbrightRC
07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
WE have both and the geotrax is put away for now because my son doesn't bother with it unless someone is playing with him. He'll play at the train table for hours on his own with the wooden trains.

artvandalay
07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
We have a giant Geotrax collection as well. I am very impressed how sturdy the pieces are... they are great quality. My boys were obsessed with them for a long time. They aren't getting that much use anymore, maybe once or twice a week, more if their friends are over and want to play with them. My 6 year old doesn't play with them that much, but my 4 year old still plays with them.

I like our Thomas table, too. I don't know if I could choose a favorite between them, they are both great and have provided hours and hours of play for my kids.

new_mommy25
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
We love Geotrax!! When DS has friends over that's the number one toy they want to play with.

hillview
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
We really like them and go in phases. I should get them out this weekend with the heat!

soontobe
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
how are they different than thomas trains?

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Geotrax= big and plastic. :) Not as easy for little ones to build but they have lots of fun dictating layouts and running the trains. They have battery powered engines as well as plain trains for push along play.

there are Thomas sets that are plastic and they are not compatible with Geotrax. Never thought quality was great on the plastic Thomas sets and wouldn't buy them.

Wooden Thomas sets are nice and we have some too. Smaller in scale, more expensive too. But, easier for little ones to build with. Not as many cool buildings and add-ons as Geotrax, imo.

I think it is the colorfullness and size of the Geotrax that always earns them "wow!!!" from guests here.

Beth

soontobe
08-09-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks:) im looking for trains for my almost 3 yr old-will he still have trouble putting geotrax together by himself?

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Honestly? Yes. Sometimes they can do it but I still have to help my 3.5yo sometimes. As I said, little ones have lots of fun handing out the pieces and choosing where they should go. We have fun building together.

Beth