PDA

View Full Version : So it turns out...

misshollygolightly
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
that parenting two kids is much harder than one. What, exactly, was I thinking 9 months ago???

ETA: To clarify, I wouldn't give either of them up. I'm just really tired and overwhelmed, And the laundry! Good lord...the laundry.

Indianamom2
07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
It gets better. I promise. But it can be sort of overwhelming at this stage.

And the laundry...well that doesn't really get better, but it will wait a few days!

Hang in there, you're just getting your sea legs for now. :hug:

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
that parenting two kids is much harder than one.

Until they are old enough to play together and enjoy each other's company. Then it is MUCH easier to parent two vs. one! Of course the next day they will start fighting...

Hang in there!

eh613c
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
that parenting two kids is much harder than one. What, exactly, was I thinking 9 months ago???

ETA: To clarify, I wouldn't give either of them up. I'm just really tired and overwhelmed, And the laundry! Good lord...the laundry.

I know what you mean. I have 2y/o and a 9 weeks old and its just ALOT of work! I also feel like I work in an assembly line especially when changing diapers. As for the laundry, I'm doing a load or 2 everyday. It just doesn't end!

ZeeBaby
07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
It will be so much easier when the baby is about three months. And when they start playing together it is great!

misshollygolightly
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
The laundry is driving me completely insane. We usually use unpaper towels, cloth napkins, and cloth diapers and wipes, but I just can't keep up with it all right now! I'm using up my stash of leftover paper party napkins right now and I picked up a couple packs of disposable dipes just to get me through the next week or so. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll be overrun with dirty linens. Ugh! Doesn't help that DD is a bit of a spitter-upper.

zoestargrove
07-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Until they are old enough to play together and enjoy each other's company. Then it is MUCH easier to parent two vs. one! Of course the next day they will start fighting...

Hang in there!

this exactly! mine were 16 months apart. The first 2 years in particular were the hardest, then after the youngest turned 3 every single week seemed a little easier than the one before.

I still can't believe the endless laundry of those early years. Dh and I would frequently exchange dirty looks because we were both convinced the other was slacking because there was just no way possible we were both working this hard and barely keeping afloat with the general housework.

Hang in there. It will get easier. I absolutely LOVE the close relationship my boys have now. They are best of friends most of the time.

ErinMC
07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
this exactly!

I still can't believe the endless laundry of those early years. Dh and I would frequently exchange dirty looks because we were both convinced the other was slacking because there was just no way possible we were both working this hard and barely keeping afloat with the general housework.

Hang in there. It will get easier. I absolutely LOVE the close relationship my boys have now. They are best of friends most of the time.

The beginning was AWFUL! It will get MUCH easier. Hugs!

craftysierra
07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
:hug: I understand the laundry and lack of sleep. I know for me the laundry did get better and now that I am getting closer to having no kids in diapers I wonder what I am going to do with myself. :ROTFLMAO:
Sierra

StantonHyde
07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
At your stage, somebody is always eating or pooping and they're not sleeping--really overwhelming. Good for you for stocking up on paper and disposables. Do what you have to do.

I used to take DS to a small, shaded park and he could run around the play equipment and I could nurse DD on the bench and let her rest in the car seat/stroller. I also did classes where the teacher could take DS and I would take care of DD. Somehow we all make it through and you will too. :hug:

♥ms.pacman♥
07-21-2011, 09:11 PM
The laundry is driving me completely insane. We usually use unpaper towels, cloth napkins, and cloth diapers and wipes, but I just can't keep up with it all right now! I'm using up my stash of leftover paper party napkins right now and I picked up a couple packs of disposable dipes just to get me through the next week or so. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll be overrun with dirty linens. Ugh! Doesn't help that DD is a bit of a spitter-upper.

wow, you guys use cloth towels and napkins?? :bowdown:

we are doing cloth dipes and wipes, but use paper plates sometimes and paper napkins & towels. i can't imagine the amt of laundry!

and i totally know what you mean...there were so many times when i was like "What were we thinking????!!!" LOL.

the sleep deprivation improved a lot around 2-3 months and then at 4mos when DD started sleeping thru the night. but now what i struggle with a lot is giving each kid adequate attention...i always feel like i'm ignoring one, and that makes me fell so bad sometimes!

ahrimie
07-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm in the same boat! :waving4:

sste
07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Misshollygolightly,

I am of the opinion that few young families are equipped in an ideal world to deal with 100% of their laundry. Our nanny does about half of our laundry and if we didn't have her I would pay for a weekly housekeeper and ask her to do two loads during her time. And use a diaper service!

When my second child was born I was on maternity leave for four months and we still had our nanny come three days per week to share the baby care and also to deal with alot of the household stuff. A weekly housekeeper or a babysitter at least two afternoons a week would allow you to enjoy this important time more!

LexyLou
07-21-2011, 11:48 PM
It gets better. I promise. But it can be sort of overwhelming at this stage.

And the laundry...well that doesn't really get better, but it will wait a few days!

Hang in there, you're just getting your sea legs for now. :hug:

:yeahthat:

I promise, it does get better. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel in the beginning but it does. I had a colicky baby and a 22 month old with (unknown to us at the time) sleep apnea and threw insane and long tantrums. It was horrible and I swear to you right now I wonder how it got so good.

misshollygolightly
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and sympathy. I know I can do this (at least, I'm pretty sure I can), but it's going to take a while to get used to being outnumbered on the days when I have both kids at home.

pantrygirl
07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
ouch, this isn't what I want to hear as I'm heading towards the 3rd trimester. :D
I'm so tired already. I can't imagine being any more tired yet I know it's inevitable with a newborn in the house.
When everyone says it gets better, please tell me that it's within a year and not when they turn three! :p

♥ms.pacman♥
07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
ouch, this isn't what I want to hear as I'm heading towards the 3rd trimester. :D
I'm so tired already. I can't imagine being any more tired yet I know it's inevitable with a newborn in the house.
When everyone says it gets better, please tell me that it's within a year and not when they turn three! :p

it gets better in some sense. when i was preg in 3rd trimester, i could get 10 hrs of sleep a night and still be exhausted as heck during the day.

after dd was born, there was tons of sleep deprivation and huge adjustment to having 2 kids but i could get by with soooo much less sleep than when i was pregnant.

both times when iwas pg i could barely handle grocery shopping BY MYSELF, i would get so tired from walking around or standing in line. now i take both out and its actually easier than when i was pregnant.

BabbyO
07-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Our baby sitter warned DH and I, "With one you're on even ground. With two you are outnumbered (yes, even with 2 parents around all the time)."

This is a woman who homeschools her 4 kids, takes care of my 2 yo, watches a 16 yo with Down Syndrome, and has agreed to watch DS2 after he arrives. I believe she knows what she's talking about...and a total SAINT!

elephantmeg
07-24-2011, 06:21 AM
aww, hugs, it is really, really hard at the begining but it does get so much better!!!!!!

hillview
07-24-2011, 07:34 AM
You are not alone! No one tells you how hard it is. It DOES get better. In the mean time batten down the hatches and get as much rest and help as you can.

HUGS mama!

kedss
07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
hugs, i have a 3 year old DD and a 3 month old DD, and I feel you ;) We are currently going thru the troublesome 3s with DD1, and I haven't figured out how to get the 3 months old to sleep more at night, far as laundry goes I let DD1 wear stuff a couple days in a row if its not covered in peanut butter or grosser stuff, hang in there! ;)

*myfoursons
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Pick up an extra pack of disposables :) During those first couple months, those babies need to be changed constantly, and it can be very hard to keep up with the diaper loads. I switched to chlorine-free disposables while things were hectic and it really helps. And I alleviate some of my paper towel guilt by getting the recycled ones. I know, not as good for the environment, but it was impossible to keep up with the laundry.

The first few months are always crazy. Luckily we forget all about it down the road. It's like childbirth, I swear. It's all hazy later.