PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about meds for dental work

crl
07-21-2011, 08:06 PM
DS, age 8, is very anxious about the dentist, it is just who he is. We tried to do two fillings today and only got through one. He had a liquid, versed maybe, followed by laughing gas. The meds seemed to have no effect. I doubt he got much of the laughing gas because he seemed to be breathing through his mouth most of the time.

We have to go back to do two more fillings. We have an appointment for Monday morning. I plan to call the dentist tomorrow and ask if different meds might be in order.

Also they used some rubbery thing to shield his mouth. This seemed to particularly freak him out and he was complaining that he couldn't breathe. Does it seem reasonable to ask if they can work without it.

I have already asked ds if there is anything we can do to make this easier on him and he says no.

Any ideas on meds or any other suggestions before I talk with the dentist would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Catherine

bubbaray
07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
THe rubber thing is likely a rubber dam. If you've never experienced it, it definitely DOES feel like you can not breathe. I've had to have one when they removed my amalgam fillings for white ones. It SUCKED. I would ask if the dentist can do the procedure without the dam.

I can't help with the meds. GL!

crl
07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks! I have never had one and they were calling it a raincoat. I mostly like this dentist but I don't think the cutesy thing really helps ds at this age. Sigh.

I will definitely ask if they can work without it. He is just having new cavities filled, no old fillings being taken out

Catherine