PDA

View Full Version : parents of kids with severe allergies

megs4413
07-22-2011, 02:00 AM
DS was diagnosed today with a severe latex allergy. We had to take him to the ER. He is doing alright now and we have epi pens on hand....here is my dilemma:

despite all the antihistamine he has on board at this point, he still has some hives, especially on his face. Obviously, I'm not going to give him epinephrine for hives, but I'm really uncomfortable going to sleep with him still reacting like this. How do you DO it? How do you deal with it when there's nothing more you can do and it's time to go to bed? I can't give him any more meds, but I'm just so anxious! Any advice is appreciated. This is the worst reaction either kid has ever had. My DH has a history of anaphylaxis, so I've seen worse reactions, but since he's an adult, he can tell me when his throat is swelling. With DS, I just have to watch like a hawk. My nerves are fried!

jgenie
07-22-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't have any advice but wanted to offer :hug:. I hope his hives clear soon and you are able to get some rest.

citymama
07-22-2011, 04:42 AM
I thought I had replied to this on my phone but I guess it didn't go through. I'm so sorry about the dx - that is very stressful. I'm sure the hives were scary! Fortunately latex is something you should be able to control/minimize exposure too - or is it one of those substances that turns up in unexpected places? My DD2 was dxed with tree nut allergies last month - she's 14 months and her tests indicated a potentially severe reaction. It's a scary position to be in, and as a fellow new allergy mom, I know it's hard not to look ahead and worry about what happens in preschool/elem school and beyond. I hope they outgrow these allergies or reduce the severity of their reactions. Big hugs!

ThreeofUs
07-22-2011, 06:44 AM
First, I just wanted to send hugs. Sounds like he - and you - had a very traumatic day and evening yesterday. It's *really* hard.

Hives take a while to go away. They are a reaction in the skin, and can last a few days even when the allergy has been addressed and there are no other symptoms.

So, I'd lay down next to him, put my ear lightly on his chest, my hand on his body, to listen to his breath and feel how his body is doing. How is he breathing? Is he shaking, trembling, or spasming - or is he calm? Is he warm or cold, sweaty or normal?

This will tell you how he's doing, and will also comfort and reassure him (and you).

If you're worried, sleep with him. If something goes wrong with him, you'll know it immediately.

:hug: I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. :hug: