PDA

View Full Version : My Picardie glass broke!!

joules
07-22-2011, 02:14 AM
My large tumbler was sitting on our drying rack by our sink. The rack is no taller than an inch from the top of our tile countertop. DH was resting a plate against the glass and it tipped over onto the countertop and shattered into a million pretty little pieces.

DH says technically it fell more than an inch since it tipped over and the top of the glass hit the countertop. (or actually the bottom of the glass since it was inverted on the drying rack)

I read some reviews on the William Sonoma website about things like this happening. I hope it's just a fluke with this one cup.

eagle
07-22-2011, 02:43 AM
i have a dozen and ive had them for 2 years now.

in the 1st month one glass shattered in the dishwasher who knows when. ruined the dishwasher. costly repair.

3rd month in dropped one from elbow height. also shattered into a million very sharp pieces (but still better pieces than regular glass).

since then no other mishaps.

3rd month was my fault, but the 1st month glass: wth. i guess it was a fluke or perhaps it had a crack in it that i couldnt see.

the glasses are beautiful and i plan on sticking with them for the long haul.

we drink with them daily.

hellokitty
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I wanted the picardie glasses, but I've even had some of my ikea glasses break. I am ok with the ikea glasses breaking, b/c they are cheaper, but I don't think I would be to happy about broken picardie glasses, so just decided we'll stick with ikea.

wimama
07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
We had one glass break. It broke after hitting the counter as well. Lots of little pieces. I wonder if some of the glasses were defective/flawed to start with?

joules
07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm really hoping it's just a random defect. I knew I should have bought extra during the Cambria Cove sale!! I only bought 6 large ones and 6 small ones. Our house is small so I thought I'd try to save some space. But I should have bought back up and kept them in the garage or something.

cckwmh
07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I have had 6 glasses for over 3 years. Only one has broken, and it broke the same way - out of the dishrack to the counter. We have dropped them on the hardwood and tile floors without incident. I just reminded myself that they were not break proof - just resistant. Once glass in 3 years is great considering how often they are dropped.

robinsmommy
07-22-2011, 02:14 PM
We got the full set of 24 not long after we married - I think we've lost 2, maybe 3 in almost 15 years. 1 fell into the sink while being put away, 1 got dropped to the floor, and I think we lost another somehow, but can't remember. They get used everyday.

Sometimes if a glass has been dropped once, but not broken, it may get sort of "shocked" or have hidden damage and be more prone to breakage the next time around. Ours came in one big box inside a shipping box from the WS warehouse - I would think that glasses bought in store would have more handling and more of a chance for that damage to happen before you've even bought it.....

Tile counters are hard on dishes, too - those and stone have to be the worst. We've only ever had formica. So that probably didn't help either. Hopefully the others last longer for you.