PDA

View Full Version : Are Oreos Dairy Free? Did they contain Whey and now don't? Food Allergy issue!

amldaley
07-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Ok, DD is on a ZERO dairy and dairy bi-product diet for allergies.

She has not had Oreos since January b/c I was CERTAIN they had dairy in them. They are (unfortunatley) a frequent snack at daycare. I even supply Late July cookies instead as an alternative.

Daycare gave DD Oreos this week and I went high and to the right about it.

Then, after the nurse peels me off the wall, she shows me a package that does not list milk as an ingredient and does not list milk in the allergens section.

But when I google around, there are umpteen sites that say that Oreos are not dairy free, not parve, not vegan, etc b/c they contain Whey.

But I don't see "whey" anywhere on the ingredients list.

HELP! I have to settle this issue with daycare (I had a wretched day and I really took it out on them) (Let's leave aside the autrocious diet they feed the kids and I have been complaining about it for two years and they just say "we know, we know, we're working on it". They say it is too expensive to improve the snacks they give).

Did Oreos contain whey and now they don't??????????? I really need something to bring back to the table with the school nurse or I will have to go in to the building like this...:bag: or this :innocent: or this :shrug: or this :duh:

Green_Tea
07-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I just took a look at the ingredients listed on the Nabisco site, and don't *see* any dairy, but other FA moms might have more info for you! DD1 used to have a dairy allergy, so I usually catch stuff - I am pretty sure they're safe.

(and now I want Oreos)

KpbS
07-22-2011, 08:03 AM
It's my understanding they haven't had milk/milk derived ingredients in them for a few years now. I think the online info must be outdated. Sorry!

swissair81
07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
The thing with food labeling is that companies only need to label that it has certain ingredients if it has more than a certain amount. The only people who care about miniscule amounts of anything in a product are those with food allergies and those who keep kosher. The Orthodox Union (who certifies oreos as kosher) has it marked as OU-Dairy. That's good enough for me.

DrSally
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd have to look at the package, but I never gave them to DS when he was milk allergic.

ETA: that was 3 years ago, so it may have changed.

Clarity
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Ok, DD is on a ZERO dairy and dairy bi-product diet for allergies.

She has not had Oreos since January b/c I was CERTAIN they had dairy in them. They are (unfortunatley) a frequent snack at daycare. I even supply Late July cookies instead as an alternative.

Daycare gave DD Oreos this week and I went high and to the right about it.

Then, after the nurse peels me off the wall, she shows me a package that does not list milk as an ingredient and does not list milk in the allergens section.

But when I google around, there are umpteen sites that say that Oreos are not dairy free, not parve, not vegan, etc b/c they contain Whey.

But I don't see "whey" anywhere on the ingredients list.

HELP! I have to settle this issue with daycare (I had a wretched day and I really took it out on them) (Let's leave aside the autrocious diet they feed the kids and I have been complaining about it for two years and they just say "we know, we know, we're working on it". They say it is too expensive to improve the snacks they give).

Did Oreos contain whey and now they don't??????????? I really need something to bring back to the table with the school nurse or I will have to go in to the building like this...:bag: or this :innocent: or this :shrug: or this :duh:

Oreo's do not contain milk and have not for at least two years. It's the only packaged cookie that I let dd2 eat due to her dairy allergies.