PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious email, re: PayPal

deborah_r
07-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I received an email title "Warning Notification":

"Information Regarding Your account:
Dear PayPal Member:

Warning! Your PayPal account has been limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account."

I am not aware that they have contacted me recently - I have no email from them reflecting any attempt to contact me before this. Did anyone else get this email? I am wondering if it is some kind of scam.

egoldber
07-22-2011, 10:29 AM
I got this last week. Is there a link to click here to confirm info? If so, it's a scam.

Snow mom
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Scam. Don't click on anything. If you are concerned visit www.paypal.com and sign in to check on your account.

chozen
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
i don't even have a pay-pal account and i received this same e-mail.

Cam&Clay
07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I think Pay Pal has an email address that you can forward spam to. Every time I've sent one to them, they write back and confirm that it was indeed spam.

pinkmomagain
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I think the exclamation points really give it away.

nrp
07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
My paypal account has been limited before, for various perceived security threats, but the email was different. If you a worried, just log into your paypal account like you normally would (not through any link) and it will have a notification that it is limited. There are some steps you have to go through to remove the limitation.

sarahsthreads
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
My account was limited a couple of weeks ago, and the email I received about it was very different. (My account was compromised and someone made a transaction from an IP address in a different country, which was why my account was flagged.) Even so, I didn't click on any links (in fact, I don't think there were any in the email) and just directly logged into Paypal from a new browser window. It was pretty obvious when I logged in that it was a legitimate email because I immediately had to change my password, security question, and verify my phone number.

Sarah :)

wimama
07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
A real Paypal email would address you by your full real name. No "Dear Paypal customer". Any email concerning Paypal, I log into my account from a new window. Don't click the link in the email. Paypal does have a email addy to send spoof Paypal emails to. On the other hand, I did have someone hack my Ebay account for real and Ebay caught it and flagged my account.

deborah_r
07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I think the exclamation points really give it away.

I noticed that and also that they didn't address me by name. And I saw a word that while I don't think it was necessarily spelled wrong it was not the common way to spell it in the US.

mezzona
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I think Pay Pal has an email address that you can forward spam to. Every time I've sent one to them, they write back and confirm that it was indeed spam.

yep I do this everytime. it confirms whether or not it is spam. although that email sure sounds spammy to me.

dowlinal
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I had my paypal account frozen once because someone tried to hack into it. A real e-mail from them doesn't have any links, it will direct you to log into your account. Once I did that, my account said it was frozen and I was given the directions to unfreeze it.

noodle
07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
:yeahthat:

It's [email protected]

mom2binsd
07-23-2011, 02:17 AM
I noticed that the email address was spelled wrong..paypall (two l's)..I did send a copy to paypal's spoof address...they did address me by name in the scam email but I was still suspicious right away.