PDA

View Full Version : Care Package Ideas?!

WolfpackMom
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
A good friend of ours is starting chemo today. I would like to send him a care package. He is a super fun, loving guy who has taken his diagnosis incredibly way. He is facing this head on with a SUPER positive attitude and it is looking like things are going to be fine, its treatable. But I want to send some things that will help him be comfortable with all the chemo side effects. I wish I could send him a kindle or something to keep him busy during treatments but that's about of the budget - so think in the $20-$40 range since I have to ship.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!:love2:

TIA!!

lizzywednesday
07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Tough call ...

When my grandpa went through chemo 20 years ago, he was told to drink Gatorade to help with the nausea. He didn't like it; Vitamin Water is a good option, though it's heavy to ship (I'd check for coupons in his area.)

Friends who've done chemo more recently have liked bags (maybe an inexpensive backpack?) to take back-and-forth with them - maybe stuffed with mindless goodies, like paperbacks, graphic novels or packs of cards? (I'd do something like the 1st Dresden Files book, the 1st TPB of Ex Machina and maybe a souvenir deck of cards & "Poker for Dummies" or something for a guy.)

A knit cap in a funky design or bandana for his head if he anticipates losing his hair?

Sunscreen.

If he's got an iPod, iTunes gift cards for something to do on the way home. Besides get sick.

There are probably more ideas available at the LiveStrong community boards, too - check out http://www.livestrong.org

boilermakermom
07-22-2011, 01:57 PM
What about a gift card to amazon-he can pick out book/movie himself. Crossword puzzle books-I know most people have these digitally, but I still love the old school books from Walgreens.

Warm socks maybe?

WolfpackMom
07-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the link! I couldnt find any ideas on there but was able to review some side effects that may help give ideas.

Ideas So far...
Hard Candy (for nausea)
Crossword Books
Giftcard for itunes
Playing Cards
A pillow case (he is being admitted, not outpatient chemo so I thought it would be nice to have his own rather than a hospital one...then again they may bring a pillow from home, hmm)
I think the coupons for vitamin water etc is a good idea, I may look for gingerale ones as well.
Ginger Snaps (again for nausea)
I dont think he would be into a graphic novel etc, but I am thinking about maybe that amazon giftcard to pick out his own book.
He loves pedicures and pampering so I may get him a nice set of foot care stuff (and tell his partner to get to work, lol).

boilermakermom
07-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I head read alot of chemo patients using the 'mommy pop' drops available at maternity store. I believe they are marketed for morning sickness, but help chemo pts as well.

WolfpackMom
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I head read alot of chemo patients using the 'mommy pop' drops available at maternity store. I believe they are marketed for morning sickness, but help chemo pts as well.

I actually got those for him to be a little tongue in cheek, hehe.

brittone2
07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Ginger tea? (if not contraindicated for some reason)

karstmama
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
coupons for boost or ensure? a recipe book for smoothies?

LMPC
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Since he seems to have a sense of humor from what you described, I might buy him a very funky hat (REI has some on sale) for the colder months. I like the idea of hard candy...the ones that come in the little round tins are very good...can't remember what they are called but Fresh Market sells them. Maybe a few trashy mags for when he's doing chemo...People, Us, etc. Does he like David Sedaris? Something like that would be a good distraction.

PT's for your friend :hug:

LMPC
07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Oooh, what about something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Illuminated-W-R-D-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B000P0TP92/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311363270&sr=8-4