PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about salmon...

sewarsh
07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
1. I believe wild is way better for you than farm raised, correct?

2. Is farm raised even worth buying?

3. Where do you buy your wild, NON-FISHY tasting salmon?

I love Wegmans salmon, but just realized its farm raised, so now I'm totally bummed.

boolady
07-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Wegman's almost always has fresh, wild-caught Alaskan salmon in the fish case itself. Also, they generally get very high marks for their efforts at fish sustainability and cleanliness, I guess I would say. They have a specific policy in place regarding their farming practices. Last year, they were at or near the top of someone's list (Greenpeace, maybe, or Monterey Aquarium?) of chain seafood sustainability.

ETA: We love their wild-caught Alaskan salmon...I don't think it's strong. We usually get Coho.

brittone2
07-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Wild is definitely better than farm-raised. Commercial fish farm operations are dirty and they use antibotics and other nasties. The omega content is also markedly different in wild vs. farm raised. There are also PCB concerns w/ farm raised.

I don't buy farm raised at all. I would rather buy canned wild salmon than a fillet of farm raised, personally.

It is better from an environmental standpoint to buy line-caught, but that is realllllly expensive in many places.

weech
07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I bought mine at Costco last time, but I felt like it had much less flavor than the farm-raised kind we'd bought previously. Has that been anyone else's experience? I'll be watching this thread for other places to buy the wild-caught salmon.

kijip
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Wild is better. I don't ever buy farmed salmon.

I am not sure about none fishy tasting fish. It is a fish. It tastes like delicious fish.

I live in Seattle. I buy ours more or less off the boat or from stores that just got it in that day. I am spoiled beyond belief when it comes to salmon and seafood!

SoloMelody
07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Wild is better. I don't ever buy farmed salmon.

I am not sure about none fishy tasting fish. It is a fish. It tastes like delicious fish.

I live in Seattle. I buy ours more or less off the boat or from stores that just got it in that day. I am spoiled beyond belief when it comes to salmon and seafood!

Seattlelite :waving4:

I have been meaning to increase our fish/seafood intake. Can you tell me which stores/boats I can get it?

lizzywednesday
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Fresh over frozen, wild caught over farmed, Wegman's is fine.

I love it and don't find it to be too "fishy" tasting, but my ILs don't care for it.

DD, thankfully, hasn't inherited DH's family's dislike. (She nearly ate my entire salmon dinner when we were in Cape May a couple weeks ago!!)

If you were upset about Wegman's frozen fillets, I think that Target's Archer Farms frozen is wild-caught.

But, of course, I haven't bought salmon in years ... my DH doesn't like it.

AnnieW625
07-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Wild is definitely better than farm-raised. Commercial fish farm operations are dirty and they use antibotics and other nasties. The omega content is also markedly different in wild vs. farm raised. There are also PCB concerns w/ farm raised.

I don't buy farm raised at all. I would rather buy canned wild salmon than a fillet of farm raised, personally.

It is better from an environmental standpoint to buy line-caught, but that is realllllly expensive in many places.

:yeahthat: I couldn't have said it better myself.

lovebebes
07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
for the less expensive wild caught salmon i like trader joes frozen.

my most favorite fresh wild caught salmon i get from a nearby sunday farmers market- a guy has a stand and his salmon is simply the most delicious i have ever tasted...fatty, juicy melt-in-your-mouth salmon.

TwinFoxes
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't buy farmed either, mostly because of the anti-biotics and the cleanliness issue. But beware, fresh wild salmon is much more expensive (unless you live in the Pacific Northwest ;) ) I don't know if it tastes fishier, it tastes like fish to me.

craftysierra
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
I just bought in the last few weeks a few different kinds of Wild caught fish at Target for 7.99 a pound I think in the frozen section they are on sale every few months. I prefer frozen for convenience. I can only handle so many shopping trips a week with kids in tow :)

Sierra

kijip
07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Seattlelite :waving4:

I have been meaning to increase our fish/seafood intake. Can you tell me which stores/boats I can get it?

Sorry this got moved from the lounge and I did not see your question.

Fisherman's terminal on Nickerson in interbay area where Ballard, QA and Magnolia sort of meet in an industrial strip. Go directly to the boats on the west side, larger fishing boats (the boats closest to the memorial/shops are usually people's recreational boats, it is one of the port's moorage offerings.) Bring cash for the best deal. If you are comfortable with a filet knife and a pair of kitchen pliers to rip out pin bones, whole fish go for about $3-4 a pound! there will be the most sellers on the weekends. Sometimes they won't even have a sign, just ask around. Someone is selling, especially this time of year. Pike Market sells these same fish for a huge mark up. If you want them to filet it for you, you will pay $5-7 a pound depending on the person you encounter or how much fish they need to move. The best supermarket super sales I see are $8 for filet of fish but the typical price is more like $10-13 these days, much, much more for the king salmon. So buying direct is a savings ( and I just think it is fun to buy it that way). If no boats are selling, you can go to the Salmon Market right there by the main parking lot. They will have a big whiteboard with the day's availability. They will filet whole fish buys for free, but you may still have to get some of the pin bones out. Today their whole salmon prices ranged from $3 a pound for WA caught pinks to $16 a pound for some great looking king Salmon. They usually have great deals on WA crab in season too.

During Ballard's Seafood Fest (already past this year...it is in early July usually), they come up from the terminal and often sell wild sockeye salmon for $2-3 a pound, whole fish, and they will cut it for not much more. unbelievably good price.

Usually during July Costco here sells whole wild Alaskan salmon for $5ish a pound.

bubbaray
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Vancouver BC here, and pre-DD#2's allergy to salmon, we ate it at least once a week, usually twice.

We only buy wild Pacific salmon, preferably never frozen and locally caught.

If your salmon was bland, it was likely due to the species. There is Coho, Pink, Chinook, Sockeye and Chum. Sockeye is usually the most expensive, Chum is the least, though it depends on the size of the runs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon I have had Atlantic salmon in restaurants and it is pretty yucky. Very bland. Not at all like Sockeye.

froggert
07-27-2011, 08:01 AM
we'll buy farm-raised fish from whole foods, but not anywhere else since it's pretty much impossible to determine where it came from.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/aquaculture.php

sockeye and coho are the only types of salmon we'll get. spending some time in the pnw spoiled us.

weech
07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Vancouver BC here, and pre-DD#2's allergy to salmon, we ate it at least once a week, usually twice.

We only buy wild Pacific salmon, preferably never frozen and locally caught.

If your salmon was bland, it was likely due to the species. There is Coho, Pink, Chinook, Sockeye and Chum. Sockeye is usually the most expensive, Chum is the least, though it depends on the size of the runs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon I have had Atlantic salmon in restaurants and it is pretty yucky. Very bland. Not at all like Sockeye.

I had no idea! Now I'll know what to look for when I'm shopping - thanks!

alirebco
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I get my wild salmon from vitalchoice.com. I get the sockeye and king salmon. I also love their canned salmon since it is BPA free. I normally get a big order a few times a year and it lasts us a long time.

Most "fresh" salmon at grocery stores has been previously frozen, even at Whole Foods.

sewarsh
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
So our Whole Foods is having their one-day deal on Coho Salmon on Friday for $9 a pound.
I assume it was previously frozen and will now be thawed out for sale (it says it was "packed on ice" not sure if that means frozen or not, but i assume it froze during transport).

Can I refreeze it and still taste as good as you guys claim it is??

Thanks!!

bubbaray
07-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Packed on ice might be fresh. Pretty much all freshly caught salmon is packed on ice until they get to dock (which can be days).

If it says previously frozen, you should not refreeze it. You should eat it the day you buy it.