PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Yucky: Digestion Question

Fairy
07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm full of human anatomy questions these days. This one's on digestion. Are you more likely to get sick on something you just ate 2 minutes ago, or something you ate an hour ago? I want to say that the thing that made me seriously ill was a hamburger eaten 2 hours before. It was frozen when I bought it at the Farmers Market last weekend, brought it right home, too. Now, the vendor was of humanely raised organic meats. DH ate one from the same package, and he did not get sick. I did undercook it a bit, so it was rare in the middle, but it wasn't raw. Again, DH did not get sick. I then ate a tiny little ice cream cone thingie from TJ's that are the 70 calorie jobbers, that was like 20 minutes before. Then I was weak and ate a tiny slice of leftover cheese pizza from teh fridge that DS had had for dinner without issue. I do mean tiny. Exactly two minutes later, my stomach started cramping badly. I was nasty sick all night long after that. I refuse to throw up if I can at all avoid it, and I really could have, but I didn't. My stomach's a little flippy still, but comparatively, it's completely normal, no more diarreah. So, my question, is what the likely culprit is. Thoughts?

bubbaray
07-22-2011, 04:47 PM
For me, it takes a few hours (not minutes) to get sick from a food. More than 2 hrs, though it could be that. I would look for what you ate 6+ hrs previously.

I highly doubt its the pizza or ice cream. Of the foods you listed, the beef. But, I bet its something even before that.

hope you feel better soon!

ThreeofUs
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Hils, you ask the most interesting questions, lol.

When did you start to notice anything off? I'd say it was the hamburger (or something before it) *unless* you are intolerant to dairy. It can take up to 24 hours for a bacteria like Salmonella to develop enough in your system to get you sick.

Honestly, though, it sounds like an intolerance reaction, given that you're okay so fast.

wellyes
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Beef. Sorry, food illness is AWFUL.

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2011, 04:54 PM
My sister has a soy allergy. She is usually pretty good at avoiding it but sometimes it sneaks into food. The more she eats, the faster she gets sick.

Beth

elektra
07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
My personal theory is that when I have stomach trouble like that, the thing I eat a minute prior (so the ice cream or pizza for you) basically gets the digestion juices flowing to then initiate the trouble that the food eaten hours or a day prior would have eventually caused.
Because when this happens to me, it's usually RIGHT after I eat something.
Because how can the little ice cream turn into (WARNING TMI ALERT!) explosive ass water only minutes later? It can't right?

arivecchi
07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I thought it took quite some time for food indigestion to develop. More than 2 hours. Hope a doc chimes in! Feel better.

egoldber
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
How long it takes depends on the source, but 2-6 hours is most common and even up to 24 hours. The food has to pass through the stomach and into the intestines, which takes awhile.

Just because someone else ate it does not necessarily mean anything. Different portions of food can have different amount of bacteria, some portions may not be contaminated, etc. It may not necessarily be the food itself, it could be a handling issue either at packaging, cooking or serving.

The sickest I have ever been was from a hamburger I ate at a Ruby Tuesday. I still can't eat at a RT. I got sick starting about 4 hours later.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/food-poisoning