PDA

View Full Version : switching from an suv to a wagon

cchavez
07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I currently drive a 10 year old mdx. We are in the market for a new car. I don't want to sacrifice too much space and DH wants to get better fuel economy. I don't have a commute...mostly a sahm with contract work a few days a month...work is very close by. Anyway, two wagons have caught my eye.... the acura tsx wagon and audi a4 wagon. We have two school age kids and I frequently haul around 1-2 extra kids for play dates. Dc are taking hockey/ice skating lessons so we have some gear to haul around but not too much. Any thoughts on switching from an suv to a wagon? My biggest concern is the extra space for hauling kids and getting use to driving lower to the ground. I need to be happy with my new car since we drive them for year and years. TIA!

Pinky
07-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I currently drive a 10 year old mdx. We are in the market for a new car. I don't want to sacrifice too much space and DH wants to get better fuel economy. I don't have a commute...mostly a sahm with contract work a few days a month...work is very close by. Anyway, two wagons have caught my eye.... the acura tsx wagon and audi a4 wagon. We have two school age kids and I frequently haul around 1-2 extra kids for play dates. Dc are taking hockey/ice skating lessons so we have some gear to haul around but not too much. Any thoughts on switching from an suv to a wagon? My biggest concern is the extra space for hauling kids and getting use to driving lower to the ground. I need to be happy with my new car since we drive them for year and years. TIA!

Have you looked at the volvo wagons? I've been contemplating the switch from SUV to wagon too and really like those.

cchavez
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
A volvo wagon would be my 3rd choice. :) But the Acura and audi get better reviews.

hillview
07-22-2011, 08:16 PM
We switched from an MDX to a Subaru Outback. We also got a minivan. So I HATED the wagon at first. It felt pretty small. 6 months later I started to like it, now almost 2 years later I love it. I would HAVE to have the mini van and the Subaru -- we need seats for 6 and the Outback doesn't have it. We got the wagon for better gas mileage and we wanted a car with AWD. I had an older Audi wagon and it was really good. You have to get used to the difference in cabin space between a SUV and a wagon. It takes time.
/hillary

joules
07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
No experience here with the wagons, however we have a VW Passat and an Acura TSX.

I looooove the TSX - so much fun to drive and no problems so far. German cars are so expensive to fix and maintain. For my VW, just getting an oil change is such an ordeal. There's a skid plate that needs to be removed before the oil can be changed and not many places are willing to deal with it. Then the engine needs synthetic oil and that adds to the cost.