PDA

View Full Version : How many bottles to get for upcoming baby?

Bens Momma
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I plan on BF this baby just like I did my first two, but I need to know how many bottles (4 & 8 oz) to buy. I chucked all my old Avent bottles and am switching to glass this time around. How many of each size is ideal to have on hand?

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

daisymommy
07-23-2011, 08:50 AM
I would only buy 1 of each, since you don't know what the baby will take. You only need 4oz. to begin with, and since you don't want to introduce a bottle for about a month until BF and your milk supply is well established, you really don't need to stock up now.

Bens Momma
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes you're right, I have time and need to see what the baby will take! I think nesting has kicked in and I've felt a little panicked the last week that I won't have everything ready for this baby, especially once the busy back to school time hits with the boys! Need to talk myself down and take a deep breath! Might just get one pack of 4 oz since I believe they're compatible with my PIS. I can always pump into them and store in the freezer! Thanks again for your advice!

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

carolinamama
07-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Funny - bottles were one thing I felt that I really had to have in the house for DD after I threw away all my old plastic ones from DSs. I have yet to use one and what's more, I have yet to pump at all. It's just too busy in the mornings to sit down and pump after I get DD fed and everything else that the kids need. You will be fine whether you buy one, a few, or none unless you need to supplement right away.

MommytoEliana
07-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I picked up a two-pack of Dr. Brown's 4-oz. glass ones at Target a couple of weeks ago when they were on sale. Given how long it took for my milk to come in with my first two babies, I'm anticipating we'll probably have to supplement a bit in the first month, so I wanted to be prepared. (I too tossed all my Avent bottles--so painful, as I had a LOT of them for storage containers.) I haven't yet picked up anything for milk storage; I figure I'll wait and see how much pumping actually happens, and that is something I can easily send DH to Target for.

daisymommy
07-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh yeah, I hear you on the nesting :) I go crazy when I nest! LOL!

In that case, since you want to pump into them, the Evenflo glass bottles coonect straight to the PIS, and they are cheap. The Dr.Bown's travel lids screw onto the top to seal them perfectly for the freezer. I was so excited when I figured that out! The only thing is, if you are going back to work, they would be too expensive to freeze all your milk in. But as a SAHM, I had 12 in the freezer. I wasn't real crazy about the nipple that fits on them, but some babys do just fine with them.

You can also buy a pump adapter that fits onto the Born Free wide mouth bottles (LOVED those!). I just poured milk from the Evenflo bottles into the 2 Born Free bottles I bought.

Hope that helps fuel your nesting ;)

Melbel
07-24-2011, 08:00 AM
2 of my 3 were super picky with what bottle they would take. I think waiting a month to introduce a bottle was too long in hindsight. I ended up purchasing about a half dozen or so different kinds until I figured out what worked. For DD2, she liked the Soothie ones, probably because they were the most like her pacifier. I could only find them online though. Fortunately, I was able to get store credits for my old stash of Avent bottles (back in 2008). I wonder if there is any current program.

For pumping, the glass bottles are cheap and definitely fit the PIS.