PDA

View Full Version : Update DS not liking 2 yo cousin

niccig
07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Update
The cousins came over yesterday and I watched what was going on. Despite MILs assertion that the 2yo was not breaking what the older kids were building, he did break things multiple times. No adult told him to stop. No one was facilitating the play with all 3. They let the 2 yo go down alone to the basement when they knew the older kids were playing legos. I went down and helped him to play with the older 2, and everything was fine. He needs someone to help him play with the others, and his parents were on their phones or talking with adults. At one point their eldest asked her Dad to please help as the 2yo was ruining their game. The dad had been with them in the basement, but left to go upstairs with the adults.

When DS was this age, I spent many a family gathering tn the basement to make sure DS was playing well with the older kids. It's not fun to miss out on what is going on upstairs, but thats part of having little ones. I helped yesterday, but DH told me it wasn't my responsible to entertain the 2 yo because his parents would not. We only have one more day, and next time we see them, he will be 3yo, and better able to play unsupervised.

If this has been going on all week, I don't blame DS for getting frustrated.

MIL had DS for last 10 days, and they spent a lot of time with cousins. DS adores his 9 yo cousin, but was "negative" in MILs words to the 2 yo. He didn't want him to play with them, and even asked if just he and the 9 yo could be together without the 2 yo. Doesn't help that the 2 yo isn't talking yet, and went to give DS a hug to say sorry for an accident, and DS doesn't like hugs without being asked. I have never forced him to hug anyone, but MIL and SIL tried and DS melted down. If I was there, I would have been able to avoid that.

We have a couple of days together. I am here now and will watch and run interference. I asked DS and he says the 2yo doesn't listen and can't play their games. This hasn't been an issue with our friends with younger siblings. I think DS might want the 9 yo's attention only to himself. SIL isn't very nice, so I want to be pro-active with DS for him to u derstand that the 2yo really wants to be with DS. Apparently, DS adores the 9 yo, and the 2yo adores DS.

Thanks

hillview
07-23-2011, 08:30 AM
DS1 would be like that. Can you give your DS some ideas on what to do with the 2 year old or how to keep him occupied? FWIW I can totally understand your DS wanting to play with the older boy and not the little one.

JBaxter
07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
having a 7.5 & 2.5 yr old I KNOW the frustration Nathan has some days. Jack is destruction on 2 feet somedays its hard to be nice to someone how has messed up your games, legos, car track etc.

And if he has been away for 10 days even having fun its a little stressful on little people

niccig
07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I think it will be better now that I am here. We've already talked about the situation and some things the can play together. I am also not sure SIL is understanding that there is a huge age gap between 2yo and 6yo boys.

I'll help DS Navigate this now that I am here.

ABO Mama
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM
The 6yo wants to play with the big 9yo, and not the baby 2yo. I think that's pretty typical for the age.

egoldber
07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
:yeahthat:

I think this is pretty normal. Difficult to manage, but normal.

niccig
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Bump for update