PDA

View Full Version : Great...DS's class placement

niccig
07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
DS gets along with all kids in his last class, even the boys that can be more aggressive. He is assertive and can hold his own. We just got our class roster. It is a 1/2 class, and he is with 5 boys that have the most challenging behavior wise. He is already saying L is a mean kid and J is really pushy. His close friends are in the other class, all the kids he wants to play with. I am not having L and J over for play dates. Z is not coming over either as last time he tried to climb out the window.

I know my DS is assertive and socially mature, but I do not think it is fair that the class is so heavily stacked with boys that can be difficult play mates. All DS's complaints last year were about these boys. But apparently not as much as the other boys that were put in the other class. I know 2 of those boys had huge issues of being picked on, and I understand they need to be separated, but there are a couple of other boys like my DS. Why couldn't they be with us to help even out the aggression?! The teacher is supposed to be really strict, and i think she will stay on top of things,but still DS will have to navigate difficult social situations with these boys for 2 years.. a class sticks together for 2 years. And there is no chance of changing.

This is now a bitch..sorry..need to vent

Canna
07-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm sorry, that really stinks.

TwinFoxes
07-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Ugh. I know there are some "well maybe..." things that could be said, but honestly, I'd feel the same way I think you're feeling. Disappointed and a little bummed.

Can I ask what a 1/2 class means?

MommyofAmaya
07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I would be totally bummed too. So sorry. :/

crl
07-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh man. That sucks. I am sorry.

Catherine

niccig
07-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Ugh. I know there are some "well maybe..." things that could be said, but honestly, I'd feel the same way I think you're feeling. Disappointed and a little bummed.

Can I ask what a 1/2 class means?

The class is grade 1 and 2. This teacher is good with more challenging behaviour and there are a couple of boys in both grades that I was hoping we wouldn't be with. And now we have ALL of them.

DS has been with 3 of them this last year. Two are in grade 2, but DS has had run-ins on the playground. And I know he's dealt with them or they haven't bothered him much. But he had 6 other boys to hang with, all the parents got along, similar parenting styles. Only one of those is with him now. There's a couple of older boys that I hope he will play with.

I'll befriend the parents I know our kids are similar, and keep up play dates with friends in the other class. And just be too busy for Z (climbs out windows), L (hits), J (saw him deliberately push over child with physical disabilities), X(Taught DS to make quacking motion with hand when someone is speaking to you) and F (plays aggressively)

Corie
07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
And there is no chance of changing.

Are you 100% sure??? I might do some checking up on this!!

Good Luck!!!

s7714
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
DD1 is headed into 3rd this year, and I can honestly say over the course of the years from K to the end of 2nd I've seen boys fitting your description do a 180 as far as behavior. Likewise I've seen boys who were considered "good" begin picking up less than pleasant traits as they've matured. Strange things happen personality wise as our kids grow, so I would at least give the boys the benefit of doubt. I totally understand your disappointment, just saying kids do change sometimes.

niccig
07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
DD1 is headed into 3rd this year, and I can honestly say over the course of the years from K to the end of 2nd I've seen boys fitting your description do a 180 as far as behavior. Likewise I've seen boys who were considered "good" begin picking up less than pleasant traits as they've matured. Strange things happen personality wise as our kids grow, so I would at least give the boys the benefit of doubt. I totally understand your disappointment, just saying kids do change sometimes.

Yes, you are right. We have had good interactions with these boys, so it is not all difficult. We'll see how the year progresses.

mytwosons
07-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry. If I were in your shoes, I would request a transfer.

However, I will second what a previous poster said. DS1 is going into 3rd and I've seen some boys make a 180 degree change in their behavior. I was specifically worried that one boy would be in his class next year, but when DS finally consented to a play date with him a few weeks ago, the boy was SO much better. The boy across the street is also much better now. I think they finally realized they wouldn't have friends if they didn't learn how to play nicely with others.

KpbS
07-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Will they all (both classes) be on the playground at the same time? That is how it has been at our school. Hopefully he can play with the nicer boys each day maintaining those friendships and not just the ones in his class.

traciann
07-23-2011, 07:19 PM
I am willing to bet that they put them together with a teacher who can handle challenging behavior. Honestly, you just never know how the dynamics of a class will work out. Kids do mature over the summer and how well the classroom is run truely can make a difference.

StantonHyde
07-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I feel bad for the teacher!!!

cuca_
07-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I feel bad for the teacher!!!

:yeahthat: I am surprised that they would place 5 problematic kids in one class together. I think that would be too much even for the most competent of teachers!