PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Sperm

Mommy_Again
07-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm still on the fence about whether to have a 4th DC (that's a whole other thread!), but mentioned to my OB yesterday that if we did, we really wanted to have a boy. He said we could spin DH's sperm to increase our chances and this was the first I've heard of such thing. (For those like me who know nothing of it: DH provides a sperm sample, it's sent to a lab where the chromosones of the sex you do NOT want are separated out, then the mom is inseminated with the desired-sex sperm. I think he said it had about a 93% success rate).

Has anyone here done it? Know anyone who's done it? My OB said it cost about $1,000, which doesn't sound horrible to me (but maybe I'm used to the huge amounts friends have spent on IVF, so I'm a little jaded when it comes to fertility fees!). Taking the financial aspect out of the equation, what are your thoughts on such a thing?

I have to say, I don't know what to think of this process. I've grown up going to church and identify myself as Christian, but I am not overly religious. I wish I had a deeper relationship with God; I deeply admire friends who have a strong faith. But my gut reaction to this was that it is somehow messing with God's plan for my family. Like we were purposely discarding hundreds of potential "girl babies" by weeding out those chromosones...and maybe one of those was "the one" who was supposed to complete our family. I was surprised by my gut reaction...I'm not saying I'd rule spinning out, but these were my initial thoughts.

For what it's worth, I'd try the Shuttles method or any other non-medical strategy without a second thought.

sste
07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I think it costs more than that as you would need "microsort" plus IUI, right?

Mommy_Again
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I think you're probably right, after my quick internet search. I didn't find any great info but I did see prices quoted in the $7-10k range. I bet my OB was referring just to the actual spinning, but then you have the cost of IUI.

If this is the case, I can't see us doing it but I'm still interested in everyone's thoughts/experiences.

sunnyside
07-23-2011, 02:47 PM
IUI costs vary quite a bit. It's not terribly expensive if you are using DH sperm and no meds, but it does vary.

I have no experience with spinning sperm.

Taking the financial aspect out of the question my thoughts are: I would love to have another child or two. I don't feel strongly about what sex they are, just would love to have them. I admit to hoping to have a son at some point though. I don't think I would go as far as to have medical treatment to ensure it though..I don't really think it's wrong, per se, but I am with you, it seems not quite right either.

JBaxter
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
A lot of places will not do it just for gender selection with out medical cause. Having 4 boys no I couldn't do it. My BIGGEST fear would be if something was wrong with the baby I would have never ending guilt. I would have liked to have a girl but ya know what.... I have 4 happy healthy boys who are the light of my life God has truly blessed me.

Jack was a bit of a surprise -- we gave up trying the year before he was conceived and was very shocked to even be pregnant after 3 yrs. We wanted another child not just a girl in my heart it didnt matter and I may have had a second of sadness but once I saw his little heart beating that was gone.

Just my take on it.

nfowife
07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd try it, if I really wanted one gender over another and $$ wasn't an issue. I don't see a real problem with it. G-d made the technology possible, after all. And it's not 100% so there's still a small chance of the unknown.