PDA

View Full Version : On vacation-need help w/ eczema

logan's mom
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
We are at the beach with my 2 year who is having pretty bad spots of eczema-not sure if it's the sunscreen, saltwater, or multiple baths. I can usually control his eczema with Aveeno Soothing Relief but it's not helping....any home remedies I can try. I have some Aveeno hydrocortisone, Cortisome 10, and other first aid ointments....there is limited supply at the single local grocery store. Everything seems to be burning when I put it on right now. Any ideas??? TIA!

DrSally
07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Poor guy! I bet the saltwater is drying him out. I was just going to ask if you're using the hotel soap. Sometimes that can be really fragranced and really drying. You could pick up some plain cetaphil cleanser at the store to use instead. I might even try some plain olive oil after bath.

JTsMom
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I would put on Aquaphor or plain Vaseline multiple times a day. It's especially helpful if you do it after a bath.

logan's mom
07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
We are just rinsing him off after the beach, and then using his Aquaphor when we bathe him before bed. I am putting the Aveeno on twice a day. I also put some Aloe on him yesterday but I don't think it did any good.

DrSally
07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I wonder if he does need some sort of soap/wash (something really gentle) to get the salt/sunscreen off. My skin hates chemical sunscreens and gets really rashy. If he's all rashed up, the sunscreen might sting.

ETA: Totally agree w/ the vaseline/aquaphor all over recommendation.

boilermakermom
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Does the store have plain dove bar soap? Try that and aquaphor after bath. Maybe purchase a laundry detergent (erect, tide free, bounce free) and wash sheets and towels in it too.

solsister
07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm so sorry. Poor little kiddo!

Coconut oil is the only thing that doesn't burn my daughter's skin when she gets excema in the Winter.

JTsMom
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I've seen bubbaray write that creams and lotions tend to burn, and that you should stick with ointments, so I would ditch the Aveeno. I think I would try the Cetaphil as well, b/c I wonder if rinsing alone isn't getting everything off.

bubbaray
07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Lori is right, I have lots of experience with eczema and lotions burn, ointments heal.

My guess is sunscreen. Salt water has never affected my girls' eczema at all.

Bathe frequently (you can do 2x/day if you want) in lukewarm water using Cetaphil cleanser or Dove soap (this burns my girls). Blot/pat dry and apply Vaseline (works best for us) or Aquaphor. If you have an Rx for hydrocortisone ointment (or you buy OTC ointment), apply it BEFORE the vaseline (then Vaseline over top).

I have had good luck with Banana Boat kids lotion on my DD#2 (her eczema is severe). DD#1 can tolerate the Banana boat spray, but DD#2 can not. Pretty much every other suncreen makes my DD#2 have severe eczema.

GL!

fauve01
07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Our ped had us add Oilive Oil to dd's bath (couple of sloshes). it helped. you could also put the olive oil right on the spots.

hope he feels better soon!