PDA

View Full Version : Metal lunch box?

inmypjs
07-23-2011, 03:40 PM
DS received a metal lunch box as a gift. It is new - not vintage - it just looks the metal ones we used to have. Does anyone use a metal lunch box for school lunches and if so have you had any problems doing so? I'm just wondering how cold food and ice packs would be with the metal and if it will rust. He could always use it hold small toys too if it does not work well for lunch.

s7714
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I've avoided the new metal ones because of nearly all the reasons you listed. The ones I've seen come with a plastic insert of sorts, which doesn't look like it would help insulate in the slightest. I like the wipe off factor, but wonder about the rusting element too. I do think the anti-squish factor would be nice though!

I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience with them as well.

hillview
07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I would be concerned about lead as well. Maybe it is a nice display one?

nfowife
07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
My kids chose them this year. I used an icepack most days. No problems with rust. Can't comment on the lead but I wrap the food inside so I am not concerned. It was fine.

hillview
07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
I would be concerned about lead as well. Maybe it is a nice display one?

My kids chose them this year. I used an icepack most days. No problems with rust. Can't comment on the lead but I wrap the food inside so I am not concerned. It was fine.

Oops sorry I read too fast. If it is new I would not worry as much about lead. I thought it said IT WAS VINTAGE. OOPS

crl
07-23-2011, 09:48 PM
DS has one but it was never intended for lunches. He uses it for play. Honestly though I never packed an ice pack. It just didn't seem necessary to me to keep food from going bad for such a short time.

I have heard of schools that ban metal lunch boxes (I think because kids hit each other with them) so you might double check before using it. We actually use a planetbox, which is metal--though not like the old school ones--and is not a problem at ds's school.

Catherine