PDA

View Full Version : How to teach counting by 2s and 5s

niccig
07-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Update: I've been working on these with DS and he's quickly caught on to skip counting. I need to go over 2's more, but he's been fine with counting by 5, 10s and no longer has any issue with 40, 50 etc. We've been doing them in the car, and I printed out a few 100 number grids. Repetition is what he needed for these. I'm pretty sure that as DS counted with his class, he got reminded by what the other kids said. Making him do it on his own, he has no help. This reminds me of my sister who did something similar in class, so I'll have to double check he can do things on his own.

I checked our state Math goals, and for K it's to count to 100 by 1's and by 10's. So he'll have 5's and 2's as extras for starting first grade. I'm also making sure he can continue the sequence if I start part-way through.

I need to work with DS on counting by 2s and 5s. I've seen worksheets where you color the multiples of 2 one colour, multiple of five another colour etc. I will do this, but DS likes to be active. Any ideas for activities where we can be up from the table?

Eta. Any counting games for counting by 1s. DS still makes some mistakes once gets into higher numbers..mostly forgets if it's 40, 70. Once you pr pt him, he can count next 9 numbers, so he's got the pattern.

Thanks

MissyAg94
07-23-2011, 05:50 PM
My DD learned to count by 2's in preschool but not sure of the technique that the teacher used. I think she just counts in her head and skips every other number. I taught her to how to count by 5's by saying them over and over together. She picked it up pretty quickly. I think a number grid would work, too, depending on your child's age.

JTsMom
07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
You can do skip counting by drawing a number line in your driveway and jumping to 5, 10, 15, etc. You can jump rope while skip counting. You could toss a ball back and forth doing the same.

We have a one hundred chart that DS enjoys working with. I have one on the wall, and one that he can use on the table.

http://www.amazon.com/LEARNING-CHART-OUR-HUNDREDS/dp/B001JTJGF6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311458350&sr=8-4

Sometimes seeing the pattern laid out helps. You can even buy/make a pointer if you want to be fancy. :) (Stuff like that makes a big difference for some kids). If you go over it together once a day, every day, for a couple of weeks, he'll probably get it without much effort.

Another tool you can use is an abacus. We love this one:
http://activitiesforlearning.com/alabacusstandard.aspx
because of the color coding. Push over 5 beads at a time and count.

As far as the upper numbers, sometimes it helps to temporarily re-name them. Most other countries count this way.

10= 1 ten 1
11= 1 ten 2
12= 1 ten 3
and so on

20= 2 ten
21= 2 ten 1
etc.

30=3 ten
40=4 ten
and so on

If you do that with the abacus, it makes it very simple for kids to grasp (b/c you really just need to know 1-10), and typically, they can flip back to regular counting without an issue. We call the above, "math language". After working in math language for a while, I explained that "ty" is another way of saying "ten". SevenTY= 7 ten. I wouldn't stress the above, but maybe just show it one time so he can see that pattern of 1 ten, 2 tens, and so on.

niccig
08-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Bump for Update

Jo..
08-03-2011, 08:45 AM
You could be lazy like me and play them the Math Adventures to the Moon DVD (Leapfrog). Both of my kids (just turned 3 and almost 5) learned to skip count by 2s 5s and 10s from this DVD. We play it in the car.

karstmama
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
anybody remember the schoolhouse rock? they had counting by all the numbers - yes, i still hear them in my head... anyway, you can get them on dvd.

niccig
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I didn't think of DVDs. DS really needed the repetition. We've been doing it in the car for the last week. I'm going to have to keep an eye on what they do at school and give him more practice where needed.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
We got this CD from the library and listened to it in the car:
Multiplication by Teacher and the Rockbots (http://www.amazon.com/Multiplication-Teacher-Rockbots/dp/B0007QOKJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312392803&sr=8-1)

We haven't checked it out in a year or so and I still sing the multiply by 5s song, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, STOP, and the multiply by 10s (to multiply by 10 put a zero at the end)... etc.

Love it! I think I need to order it actually.