PDA

View Full Version : headache due to overexertion

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
any tips on how to deal? today i woke up with a pretty bad headache, worse than i've had in years (and i get headaches A LOT). i know it's because i physically over-exerted myself yesterday when i tried to take both kids out alone to playpark (at several instances i had to hold both of them while standing in line, carry both of them up and down stairs etc). my whole body aches but the headache is downright the worst, it's so bad i feel nauseous and have trouble seeing/focusing. this has happened to me in the past when i've physically overexerted myself while exercising or lifting something

ive tried bath with epsom salts, getting a massage, drinking lots of water, ibuprofen, tylenol and i still am just miserable. i really need this headache to go away asap since my DH is going out of town for the week pretty soon.

as a last resort i just popped a Norco (acetometaphen + hydrocodone) that was leftover from after i gave birth to DD . i ended up not needing it then...is this safe for nursing (DD is 4.5 months) or do have to pump n dump? DH read conflicting reports on the safety of it... kellymom seems to say it's okay...

jenfromnj
07-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Not sure about the meds and BFing, but I'd guess that if your OB rx'd them after your DD's birth knowing that you were nursing, then they're probably OK (in my completely non-medical opinion!).

I'd try to drink a lot of water and lie down in a dark room for awhile if you can.

Have you had any issues with your blood pressure? When my BP shot up at the end of my PG, a bad headache was a telltale sign of that per my OB.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Gracemom
07-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I've gotten headaches like that when I do too much physical activity in the heat. I really have to be careful since I live in TX too. I have to exercise inside when it's hot. I often don't get the headache right away, but later after I cool down or even the morning after. It's not fun! I usually take 3 advil, drink lots of water, try to rest, eat well (plenty of protein), and I'm usually better the next day. I've never tried the med you have, but if it doesn't go away by tonight, it might be a good idea as long as someone can get up with the kids if needed. Hope you feel better soon!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
thx for the replies!

im pretty sure its not blood pressure related as i always have low BP, even during pregnancy and afterwards. and in the past i've gotten headaches like this when i try to do something really strenuous, especially when i'm out of shape (like now). like gracemom, for me it usually doesn't happen right away...like muscle soreness/pain it shows up within several hours or the next morning.

i had no intention of doing any sort of exercise yesterday, and i was indoors (AC'ed) when i was carrying my kids but it was still pretty bad. when i was doing it i KNEW i was going to be paying for it later ,big time.

ah well, lesson learned. for next week at least, i'm not going anywhere unless i have at least one kid in a stroller or something.

ThreeofUs
07-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Really super hot coffee with two tablespoons of sugar will kill any non-muscular headache for me. (Muscular headaches can kick off a stream of migraines and I need heavy drugs for those.) Might work - worth a try, at least.

Corie
07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I always put something on my forehead before I go to sleep
with a headache. This is an absolute MUST for me!!!

I like these migraine cooling pads.
http://www.amazon.com/WellPatch-Cooling-Headache-Pads-Migraine/dp/B001FORLJ8

I bought 3 of these soft gel ice packs at CVS. I rotate them on
my head. Once one starts to warm up, then it goes back in
the refrigerator and a fresh one comes out.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-COLD-PACKS-RESUSABLE-COVERS/dp/B0006GE79I/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1311474359&sr=1-4

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2011, 10:36 PM
thanks for all the suggestions! i am feeling somewhat better now..i got a chance to nap a little bit this evening when dh took BOTH kids out by himself (a first!) to run errands and pick up dinner. the only way i was able to get any rest is with DS out of the house, he is soo loud!

and i wish i could drink coffee, but it makes my stomach upset. the caffeine is good idea though, i need to stock my fridge with some diet coke. i know that when i feel a headache coming on and i drink a diet coke it often helps.

and those cooling pads look really good..i need to get some! and i don't really have a good ice pack i can use for putting on my head. i have one that is made for muscle pain and sometimes i forget and leave it out, so it's a good idea to have a few and keep them rotating.

eta: just ordered those cooling pads from amazon after seeing all the good reviews!! those look like they could help me a lot. one of my biggest problems with headaches is trying to sleep/relax and i think these would help a ton with that. thanx for the recommendation!!

Corie
07-23-2011, 11:06 PM
eta: just ordered those cooling pads from amazon after seeing all the good reviews!! those look like they could help me a lot. one of my biggest problems with headaches is trying to sleep/relax and i think these would help a ton with that. thanx for the recommendation!!

I walk around the house wearing one on my forehead and one on
the back of my neck.
My sister used to wear one on her forehead while at work! I'm sure
she looked like she was wearing a maxi pad. LOL!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I walk around the house wearing one on my forehead and one on
the back of my neck.
My sister used to wear one on her forehead while at work! I'm sure
she looked like she was wearing a maxi pad. LOL!

:rotflmao: Haha, that is too funny!

i can see myself one of these days groggily answering a door or going out to get the mail with one on....so funny , im sure ppl would think i'm just a flustered mom whose toddler put a maxi pad on her forehead. lol!

jenfromnj
07-23-2011, 11:43 PM
thx for the replies!

im pretty sure its not blood pressure related as i always have low BP, even during pregnancy and afterwards. and in the past i've gotten headaches like this when i try to do something really strenuous, especially when i'm out of shape (like now). like gracemom, for me it usually doesn't happen right away...like muscle soreness/pain it shows up within several hours or the next morning.

i had no intention of doing any sort of exercise yesterday, and i was indoors (AC'ed) when i was carrying my kids but it was still pretty bad. when i was doing it i KNEW i was going to be paying for it later ,big time.

ah well, lesson learned. for next week at least, i'm not going anywhere unless i have at least one kid in a stroller or something.

Hope you're feeling better! Sorry to be alarmist about the BP issue, mine was low all through my pregnancy and the only sign that it was becoming crazy high, was a bad headache, so now I'm sort of paranoid even though a headache could of course be 10,000 other things :rolleye0014: