PDA

View Full Version : Recs for food magazine subscription?

fumofu
07-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Currently we're subscribed to Everyday Food. I like a lot of the recipes that I've tried. Except for the current magazine (July/August). I can't seem to find recipes that I think we'd like to eat. So I'd like to subscribe to another food magazine.

Does anyone subscribe to Cook's Illustrated or Cook's Country? Or any other recommendations?

Thank you!

MMMommy
07-24-2011, 03:49 AM
We subscribe to and really like Cook's Illustrated magazine. Informative and practical information. But it is expensive and has a limited number of issues per year. I think Cook's Country contains more homestyle recipes, whereas Cook's Illustrated has more ethnically diverse recipes. Food Network Magazine has some nice recipes and is a more colorful read. I think good deals can be found for Food Network mag. Hard to find deals on Cook's Illustrated. I used to subscribe to Bon Appetit and Gourmet for years, and I think Gourmet is the one that is no longer in publication. My picks would be Cook's Illustrated and Food Network Magazine.

daisymommy
07-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Food Network Magazine! Great variety of recipes I would actually use, and tons of helpful cooking tips/lessons.

I really like browsing Cooks Illustrated or Cooks Country at the store, but I don't think they are realistic for the everyday person with kids underfoot.

BeachBum
07-24-2011, 07:39 AM
I really like "cooking light" and "eating well"

septmama2b
07-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Other then Everyday Food, I really like Fine Cooking. Very informative, foolproof recipes and a lot of technique so you don't need a specific recipe. I have an online subscription to Cooks Illustrated rather then the magazine, but that is always my first stop with any questions.

wencit
07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Love Cook's Illustrated, but agree with a PP that many of the recipes are kind of difficult for "everyday" type of cooking. I like Bon Appetit, as well.

boilermakermom
07-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I will second Eating Well. It is a great magazine, wonderful recipes.

I am get Rachel Ray and Taste of Home. I have found numerous recipes out od RR, bt very few from TOH. TOH is usually a bit more involved, or too country for us.

TxCat
07-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I third Eating Well - very informative, great articles, and good recipes.

I also subscribe to Bon Appetit, which I usually enjoy, although they recently changed editors, so I'm curious to see if there are any big changes to the magazine over the next few months. Anyways, I usually enjoy their recipes - there is a nice range from over-the-top fancy to very simple, ingredients that you have on hand regularly, etc.

wendibird22
07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been getting Cooking Light for years and years. We cook a lot out of it. Many are simple, fast, and with easy to find ingredients (or the suggest a substitute).

JElaineB
07-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I like Food Network magazine and Fine Cooking. I have subscribed in the past to Everyday Food and Cook's Illustrated. I do like quite a bit from Cook's Illustrated but I agree they are not all everyday dishes.

elephantmeg
07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I hate food network. There is nothing there that my (picky) husband would eat. My IL's love it though. I tend towards taste of home and taste of home light or whatever it is

mikala
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I picked up a few different subscriptions during $5 Amazon sales around Christmas and have been comparing them. I got Rachel Ray, Food Network, Vegetarian Times, and Taste of Home. I've previously subscribed to Cooking Light and Cooks Illustrated.

Of all of them I've liked the recipes from Cooks Illustrated the best but they tend to be too intense for weeknight cooking and I always feel like they've added extra steps just for the heck of it.

The Cooking Light recipes also tend to be intense for weeknight cooking with a toddler underfoot but many are manageable if you can do prep earlier in the day or the night before.

The Taste of Home recipes are really hit and miss and many are nutritional bombs.

The Vegetarian Times recipes we've tried just haven't been my favorites.

Rachel Ray and Food Network are about tied and I think both would be worth it if you can find a cheap subscription.

I haven't tried Eating Well yet but the other comments are making me want to...

twowhat?
07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Fine Cooking is AWESOME. A woman even blogs about the recipes she tries from it:

http://www.takingonmagazines.com/2011/04/thai-curry-from-fine-cooking-magazine.html

♥ms.pacman♥
07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Food Network Magazine! Great variety of recipes I would actually use, and tons of helpful cooking tips/lessons.

I really like browsing Cooks Illustrated or Cooks Country at the store, but I don't think they are realistic for the everyday person with kids underfoot.

:yeahthat:

i used to subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, and loved it. I even have some of their cook books. I loved how they would always explain the "science" behind how they came up with the recipe. I have some recipes from there that i have always gotten tons of compliments on.

However, i canceled it a while back. yes, the recipes are tasty. however, most of them are WAAAAY too complicated/time-consuming to make with little ones running around. Seriously, at this point, if it takes longer than 30 mins to make, i don't even bother.

purpleeyes
07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
We really like Clean Eating. I always find at least 3 or so recipies to try and a bunch of them have become mainstays for us!

www.cleaneating.com

fumofu
07-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks everyone for these rec's! I think I will head to the bookstore tomorrow (if DS allows) and check out a couple of them. Seems like Bon Appetit, Eating Well, Fine Cooking and Food Network are the winners. I will definitely flip through a copy of Cook's Illustrated.

Thanks again!

mackmama
07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I like Cooking Light and Real Simple (has some great recipes).

AnnieW625
07-25-2011, 12:42 PM

:yeahthat: I have had a subscription to Cooks Illustrated and I loved it mainly for their cooking reviews, but it's very niche and it's not entirely cooking friendly. I had Cooking Light for a while too, but I didn't find their recipes entirely yummy or even easy with a small child (I just had DD1 then), but I did find some great recipes like their Blazing Baked Beans recipe that I just love.

I usually print off recipes off of my computer from Food Network, or All Recipes.com and have had good luck.

KHF
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I usually print off recipes off of my computer from Food Network, or All Recipes.com and have had good luck.

:yeahthat: I love All Recipes and really like to have reviews of the recipes before I make them, so online is perfect for me. That said, I do have subs to Food Network and Cooking LIght that I got pretty cheaply. I mostly read for the articles though, and sometimes recipes.

Percycat
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm late to the conversation, but we love Cuisine At Home. You can get a free preview issue from the website. If you decide to subscribe, it is a much better deal to subscribe in pairs or for two years. If two people subscribe, purchase the subscriptions as gifts and you basically get two subscriptions for the price of one.

http://www.cuisineathome.com/

Happy eating.
Angela

Naranjadia
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I have to 7th or 8th Fine Cooking as well. What I like about it: 1) the recipes work! Can't remember a single dud in seven years of subscribing; 2) they have a quick & easy section each month.

I also have to say Real Simple's food recipes have really improved. I started getting it when my sister worked there about 10 years ago and the recipes were godawful, but now they are consistent and good.