PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about my crib mattresses....

BabbyO
07-24-2011, 07:11 AM
So DS2 is due in 8 weeks. We got a new crib because it appeared that DS wasn't moving from his. Of course, Father's day weekend he decided to start climbing out...so we've converted it to a toddler bed. I'm ok with this. In a way, its a good thing because he had to switch rooms, too...so at least something is familiar.

We got a hand-me-down crib mattress from a family I know well. It is only 2-3 yrs old and in good shape. It wasn't used long (1 yr) because the family's oldest DS moved to a twin and his younger brother moved into DS1's crib after a DS2' crib broke (during moving, I think).

Anyway, DH and I put the new crib together yesterday and put the used mattress in it. It definitely has more room than I'm comfortable with. I KNOW DS' mattress fit more snugly in his crib. I remember reading no more than 2 fingers between the mattress & slats. This isn't the case here. I know mattresses aren't all that expensive...but if we didn't have to get a new mattress...it would be really helpful. We've had more than a few unexpected expenses come up in the last 2 months and I'm behind on saving up for my unpaid maternity leave.

That said...would you consider moving the new/used mattress from the other family into DS1's toddler bed and his mattress into the new crib? I really don't think DS is in danger of getting trapped or anything if the mattress is slightly smaller...I'm more concerned about it affecting his sleep. He's slept on his current mattress since the day we brought him home from the hospital. Am I being ridiculous?!? Thoughts?

crl
07-24-2011, 09:13 AM
I think I would try switching the mattress.

Catherine

BabbyO
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I think I would try switching the mattress.

Catherine

Thats what I did...DS slept fine during his nap and last night...so I guess it isn't bothering him. I'm a bit surprised because this mattress is not as firm as his old one (this one has 150 coils...his old one had 200 and was noticably firmer).

Anyway, DS' mattress definitely fits more snugly in the crib and I feel MUCH better about it.

crl
07-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Thats what I did...DS slept fine during his nap and last night...so I guess it isn't bothering him. I'm a bit surprised because this mattress is not as firm as his old one (this one has 150 coils...his old one had 200 and was noticably firmer).

Anyway, DS' mattress definitely fits more snugly in the crib and I feel MUCH better about it.

Glad it worked out!

Catherine