PDA

View Full Version : Winnie the Pooh

hillview
07-24-2011, 07:56 AM
We saw the movie yesterday. It was really great. Lots of laughing in the theater. Highly recommend. Also nice is that it is only an hour.

mrshalco
07-24-2011, 08:18 AM
We saw it on Friday! I agree - very cute! I loved that my 7 year old was belly laughing at parts of it! Nothing better than seeing your "big" son laugh like that!!

Izzy&Bella
07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
mrshalco, did you take your younger child? I'm wondering if I should take my 2 year old. It would be her first movie, but she loves Winnie the Pooh. Thanks!

amldaley
07-24-2011, 10:08 AM
We saw it Friday, too! It was DD's FIRST MOVIE IN THE THEATER EVER! (After researching here at BBB if it would be appropriate.)

Totally agree it is a great movie for little ones. And not annoying or boring for grown ups either!

The previews in our theater were all great: Smurfs, a movie with puppies & Happy Feet 2. DD loved the previews as well.

Aside from peeing her pants three times and us running out of outfits so I had to fashion a skirt from my cardigan for her, she did great. She was rivetd and stared at the screen the whole time!

Very sweet movie, even for an (very almost) 3 year old.

mrshalco
07-24-2011, 11:46 AM
mrshalco, did you take your younger child? I'm wondering if I should take my 2 year old. It would be her first movie, but she loves Winnie the Pooh. Thanks!

I did take my younger son too! He's was ok ;) Luckily the theater wasn't that crowded and he ended up moving up and down our empty row trying out all the seats!

He's been to a few movies in a theater. He saw Tangled, Hop, Cars2 and Winnie the Pooh. The only one he sat through (on my lap) was Hop. He did watch all of Winnie the Pooh - but if I didn't let him explore the seats....he probably would have gotten more antsy!

lablover
07-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Took the kids Friday and we loved it also!

TwinFoxes
07-24-2011, 02:01 PM
We saw it Friday too! Something about a heat index of 121 inspired me to take the girls to their first movie. They really liked it, it was a cute movie. Lots of previews (including for a new Muppet movie, yay!) And an animated short. So DDs kept asking "where's Pooh??"

Regal theaters and yahoo movies have a free popcorn deal if you check in at the theatre via Facebook. I was so jazzed. Especially since the MATINEE price for the three of us was $26!!

goldenpig
07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Is there anything potentially remotely scary in the movie? I'm thinking of taking DD, but she has never been to a movie before and seems to be pretty sensitive. She only watches things like DVDs of Signing Time, Ni Hao Kailan, and Olivia. Once I put Sesame Street on and she got scared because of the "monsters". In fact last night she woke up crying and saying she had a bad dream about Sponge Bob. I said, "But you don't even watch Sponge Bob!" and she said that she watched it at camp. :shrug: She knows the Winnie the Pooh characters so I thought it might be a good first movie for her. She is almost 4.

TwinFoxes
07-24-2011, 04:59 PM
My daughters have cried at Mickey Mouse clubhouse Goldenpig, so I hear where you're coming from! There was one spot where Pooh et al were in woods which were dark, and I thought DDs would be afraid, but they weren't. The friends also are stuck at the bottom of a pit, but it's played for laughs, and DDs were fine. I guess your DD could get scared, but my little wimps weren't. ("Cars" was too scary for them at a camp they went to, it wasn't even a big screen. They aren't big Sesame Street fans either, but they do like Elmo books and dolls. )

It's also only an hour, which really helps.

amldaley
07-24-2011, 06:08 PM
We saw it Friday too! Something about a heat index of 121 inspired me to take the girls to their first movie. They really liked it, it was a cute movie. Lots of previews (including for a new Muppet movie, yay!) And an animated short. So DDs kept asking "where's Pooh??"

Regal theaters and yahoo movies have a free popcorn deal if you check in at the theatre via Facebook. I was so jazzed. Especially since the MATINEE price for the three of us was $26!!

lol...I think the heat index was why DD wet herself three times...I was keeping her well hydrated. And she kept asking the SAME thing! Over and over...

DD doesn't turn 3 until next week so she was FREE, but thanks for the heads up on the Facebook deal!

Clarity
07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
We saw it last Sunday and we all loved it. It was our 2 year old's first movie....but she didn't get in free. Hmmmm.
Anyhow, I really enjoyed it and so did dd1. DD2 was really overwhelmed by the volume of the previews but the volume of the show itself didn't seem to bother her.

elizabethkott
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
We saw it this afternoon!
J was very confused by the short before the movie - he kept saying (loudly), "But Mommy, this isn't the movie we came to see! They put on the wrong movie!"
Stevie was a horror show. Squirmy wormy the entire time (I don't know what I was expecting with an 11 month old, but oy!).
J also kept loudly asking, "Daddy! Where's the CANDY?!" (thanks, DH for buying sour patch kids... what were you thinking?!)
I did really like the movie. Totally cute. :)

fivi2
07-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Is there anything potentially remotely scary in the movie? I'm thinking of taking DD, but she has never been to a movie before and seems to be pretty sensitive. She only watches things like DVDs of Signing Time, Ni Hao Kailan, and Olivia. Once I put Sesame Street on and she got scared because of the "monsters". In fact last night she woke up crying and saying she had a bad dream about Sponge Bob. I said, "But you don't even watch Sponge Bob!" and she said that she watched it at camp. :shrug: She knows the Winnie the Pooh characters so I thought it might be a good first movie for her. She is almost 4.

My girls are 5.5 and definitely afraid of everything. We saw Pooh on Sat. It was generally okay for them (fear-wise) but there were one or two parts that would have bothered them at 3 yo. And while they didn't freak out at those parts this time, they did tense up a bit. There was an appx. 3yo next to us who seemed scared at the same parts. Also, some of the previews scared my dds (and the girl next to us). The problem with movies in theaters is that they are just so loud. and big. They can intimidate easily frightened kiddos.

Other than a couple sort of scary parts, they loved it and thought it was hilarious.

I would say it was about as scary as the Pooh Heffalump movie ... (iirc).

TwinFoxes
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I did notice at the theatre we went to the volume on Pooh was noticeably lower than for grown up movies, which I thought showed good management. :thumbsup:

Clarity, I think every theatre I've been to kids under 3 are free. Did you tell them she's two? I'd look for a different theatre next time since movies are so expensive!

amldaley
07-25-2011, 08:22 AM
I did notice at the theatre we went to the volume on Pooh was noticeably lower than for grown up movies, which I thought showed good management. :thumbsup:

Clarity, I think every theatre I've been to kids under 3 are free. Did you tell them she's two? I'd look for a different theatre next time since movies are so expensive!

:yeahthat: on both.

amldaley
07-25-2011, 08:25 AM

There is a "villian" in the movie...an imaginary villan. There is a scene where the characters all sing about how scary it is and they do a line drawing of a monster with teeth. DD was just sort of confused by it. I leaned over and kept telling her how silly it was. She made it through just fine but I can see how a very sensitive child might be bothered by that part.

goldenpig
07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if I'm going to take her to see Pooh. Yesterday we went to a birthday party at someone's house and they put Curious George on. I asked her if she wanted to watch or wanted to leave and she said she wanted to watch. We watched about 15 min of it and she spent most of it nestling her head into me or peeking at the screen through squinted eyes or covering her ears (even though it wasn't loud). I was surprised she was scared because it seemed super tame to me. Maybe she's scared because it's new and she doesn't know what's going to happen? I just worry because oftentimes right before she goes to bed she tells me, "Mama, I'm scared at night because I can't make the bad dreams go away." :crying: She has bad dreams about monsters or being lost or bad men/robbers outside the house. (I feel kinda bad that because I've talked to her before about safety, teaching her our phone number/address, telling her to find a mom if she gets lost, and not to go with strangers etc., that I've made her scared and given her bad dreams, but I feel like she needs to know these things). I don't know why she is so scared lately...hopefully it's just a phase. I don't want to give her additional fodder for bad dreams so I think we'll wait a year on the movies. Maybe I'll try to find a movie that I can show her beforehand at home on a DVD (sometimes they show old movies at the library or movie theater) so she'll be familiar with it. She really watches very minimal TV at home but sometimes you can't control what they get exposed to at school etc. She knows a surprising number of characters (Spiderman, SpongeBob, etc) that we've never introduced her to.

fivi2
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if I'm going to take her to see Pooh. Yesterday we went to a birthday party at someone's house and they put Curious George on. I asked her if she wanted to watch or wanted to leave and she said she wanted to watch. We watched about 15 min of it and she spent most of it nestling her head into me or peeking at the screen through squinted eyes or covering her ears (even though it wasn't loud). I was surprised she was scared because it seemed super tame to me. Maybe she's scared because it's new and she doesn't know what's going to happen? I just worry because oftentimes right before she goes to bed she tells me, "Mama, I'm scared at night because I can't make the bad dreams go away." :crying: She has bad dreams about monsters or being lost or bad men/robbers outside the house. (I feel kinda bad that because I've talked to her before about safety, teaching her our phone number/address, telling her to find a mom if she gets lost, and not to go with strangers etc., that I've made her scared and given her bad dreams, but I feel like she needs to know these things). I don't know why she is so scared lately...hopefully it's just a phase. I don't want to give her additional fodder for bad dreams so I think we'll wait a year on the movies. Maybe I'll try to find a movie that I can show her beforehand at home on a DVD (sometimes they show old movies at the library or movie theater) so she'll be familiar with it. She really watches very minimal TV at home but sometimes you can't control what they get exposed to at school etc. She knows a surprising number of characters (Spiderman, SpongeBob, etc) that we've never introduced her to.

Fwiw my 5 yos can't watch curious george. Her dreams sound like my dd. Honestly , I would wait. She would probably be fine, but there is no reason to push it imo. The part mentioned by pp kis what bothered my girls.

egoldber
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Curious George is AWFUL for kids who don't like tension or hate it when a main character "gets in trouble".

goldenpig
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Fwiw my 5 yos can't watch curious george. Her dreams sound like my dd. Honestly , I would wait. She would probably be fine, but there is no reason to push it imo. The part mentioned by pp kis what bothered my girls.

Yep, I think I'll wait until she begs to go to a movie. Thanks all!