PDA

View Full Version : kindergarten art smock?

mommytoC
07-24-2011, 08:13 AM
DD#1 is starting kindergarten this year, and needs an art smock. The school suggests an old adult shirt, but DD wants a "real" smock instead. (She tends to be fussy about how clothes fit/feel, and wants no part of a "gigantic" shirt, even if that's what everyone else in her class will wear, LOL.)

I've found several long-sleeve smocks, most sized to fit from 2-5 years (which wouldn't fit DD, who's the size of an average 7-year old). Any suggestions for a smock that would fit, ideally for the next couple of years? Or should I just send a Bumkins apron (which she uses at home, and likes)?

TIA for your help!

Canna
07-24-2011, 09:47 AM
We had exactly the same suggestion (shirt for smock). I thought about buying a new art smock instead, but then I asked around to the parents I knew who had older kids and found out that everyone really does send in shirts. I decided I didn't want my kid to be the only one who had a bright, slick, store-bought smock instead of a shirt.

What I ended up doing was buying a medium-weight denim button front shirt (adult size) at Goodlwill (~$4). It was cute with bright poilka dots embroidered all over the fabric. I cut off the sleeves so DD wouldn't have to worry about bulky rolled up sleeves, and hemmed them. Our smock had to had the child's name visibly written on it - difficult on dark denim - so I sewed a yellow tape onto it and wrote her name on it with a permanent marker on one side of the shirt. DD liked it.

I did see elementary-child sized smocks at the Lakeshore store. ETA: I don't think they had long sleeves, and that's another reason that I thought the shirt idea was actually a good one.

mommytoC
07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a great solution, but, sadly, a bit above my sewing talents (I can sew on a button, and that's it, LOL!). I haven't been able to tempt DD with anything in my closet, but think she'd probably go for something like your DD's shirt. I did find some cotton smocks from A Better Bib that come in both 5-7 and 8-10. If she doesn't change her mind, I'll probably go with one of those.

Canna
07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
If you wanted to try, you could also use iron-on hem tape which is available at Jo-Anns, or even do a quick in-out-in-out hand hem. In our experience, the smock came home to be washed NEVER the entire year, so your hem doesn't need to stand up to a lot of washing! :)

Percycat
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
We did the same think as PP, except that I sewed elastic into the sleeve hems too gather the sleeve at the wrist. I only cut the cuff off of the sleeves when I shortened the sleeves to keep them long; the sleeves are bunched up and at the right length because of the elastic. DD and DS should be able to wear their shirts all through grade school. ----- I am not a sewer, but this was pretty easy to do on my sewing machine. If you can't sew at all, you probably could get someone to put in the elastic for you at a better price than ordering a smock. Our dry cleaner has very reasonable alteration rates.

The kids and my husband decorated the shirts with fabric paint. They think it is fun to their own personalized painting shirts. DD's has butterflies and flowers in sparkle paint on a pink cotton button down shirt and DS has a bold red cotton shirt with paint splattered all over it.

Good luck figuring out what will work best for your DD.

Angela

mommytoC
07-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I was getting geared up to try sewing :wink2:, when I saw a women's chambray camp shirt (with straps to hold up the sleeves) on clearance at LLBean. I had a coupon and $10 gift card, so paid under $5. I feel silly having bought such a nice shirt to paint in :bag, but on the plus side, DD really likes it!

Now we'll just have to decorate it a bit, like you creative PPs...thanks for your help!