PDA

View Full Version : How to not go stir crazy with a 3 yo?

MacMacMoo
07-24-2011, 08:58 AM
We are down to one car and DH goes back to work this week after taking a few weeks of paternity leave. I'm not so concerned about the newborn, he's rather easy going. The hardest thing with him is the fact that once again breastfeeding didn't work out and we are back to exclusively pumping. I'm glad he's getting my milk (even though in bottle form) but it's rather time consuming to feed him a bottle and then pump.

My biggest concern is how to keep the three year old entertained. We live in an apartment so no backyard for him to play in. And since DH will be driving our only vehicle I can't take SqueekMoo out and about.

SqueekMoo gets a TON of screen time. I feel bad for the sheer amount, but I can't seem to get around it. Help!

crl
07-24-2011, 09:16 AM
What is in walking distance? Is there any public transit?

DS loved to help cook at the age. Art projects? Helping you clean? If you do flat soda water for windows, little ones can "help," dusting with a damp rag, etc.

Catherine

MomToOne
07-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Good timing:
http://thetwincoach.blogspot.com/2011/07/need-ideas-for-when-youre-stuck-at-home.html

MommyAllison
07-24-2011, 07:41 PM
We were in a similar situation when DS was born, and we walked to the park pretty much every day that summer, sometimes twice a day. We were usually the only ones there, and the playground was small, so DD would just play for an hour or two while DS napped. We also set up the water table on our patio so she could play outside a bit when we were home. Good luck!

wellyes
07-24-2011, 07:51 PM
First: Galt Trampoline, $58 at Amazon.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/mk5dFN4UD99iR2l3bsBpgTOKvaNo08mZFhAZlqNi164aEpzqg3 DuUqM28tiKSyRTBH3aUxkOOtDru7gaZTzFlD6S5-EhqgB3NX_viG7FIXyYNrOEIT61rF-nq5X6sCQzAhidVMRyAprM52cghWzUhPgG_c8sTsN0jcBJHM4o
Second:
Be easy on yourself! It's just for a little while. They'll be partners in crime before you know it.

ha98ed14
07-24-2011, 09:55 PM
I've BTDT on both fronts. I often felt "stuck" in my apartment even when I had a car just because of her nap & bottle schedule. What solved it for me was a good stroller with a deep canopy. I could walk to the coffee house a few blocks away. Sometimes I walked to CVS across the street just to get out of the house. My best days were when I got out and that stroller was like DD's moving bed!

Given that you are on a pumping schedule, I think I would try to set it up so you have a scheduled time to be out of the house then come home and pump. So maybe

Feed baby
Put baby in stroller for nap (in a double stroller with a good sunshade for the baby. OR a sit 'n stand where you can use the car seat in the stroller frame and the two shades together pretty much cover the whole baby.)
Pump
Go for walk/ park/ store with 3 y.o. with baby asleep in stroller
Come back
3 y.o. eats
3 y.o. naps/ has quiet time in his room
Feed baby
Pump

I only have one, so this might sound crazy coming from me, but every single one of my friends who has 2 or more says that to some degree the baby's needs are somewhat delayed in being met. I just say that to let you know that the idea of your infant taking a nap in his stroller instead of his crib might not be ideal, but he'll be fine. They adapt. Or at least that's what my friends say. :)

We only have one car right now, and it will probably stay that way for some time to come. Something to file away for the future: Bike trailer. I never thought in a million years I would be someone who would use one. Have you ever seen a big lady right a bike pulling a trailer? Let's just say, "It happens." ;)