PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis System Installation

mommy111
07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I know some of you moms have reverse osmosis filtration systems in your homes and was looking for some advice on installation. We live in a small apartment building where we are not allowed to make any major changes to anything (the usual apartment rules). However, I wanted to get a reverse osmosis system installed at out home and some of the countertop filters look like they're for drinking water only and not for washing dishes etc. Some of the under-counter systems look like they route through an additional tap and I don't think I can install that in an apartment since it would mean making holes (I'm assuming) through our kitchen sink system? Can filters like this one just connect to your existing sink? Or should we look for a countertop filter?
http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/products/Watts-50%252dGPD-5%252dStage-Reverse-Osmosis-System-%7C-GTS%252d550.html

Penny's Pappa
07-24-2011, 03:31 PM
I know some of you moms have reverse osmosis filtration systems in your homes and was looking for some advice on installation. We live in a small apartment building where we are not allowed to make any major changes to anything (the usual apartment rules). However, I wanted to get a reverse osmosis system installed at out home and some of the countertop filters look like they're for drinking water only and not for washing dishes etc. Some of the under-counter systems look like they route through an additional tap and I don't think I can install that in an apartment since it would mean making holes (I'm assuming) through our kitchen sink system? Can filters like this one just connect to your existing sink? Or should we look for a countertop filter?
http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/products/Watts-50%252dGPD-5%252dStage-Reverse-Osmosis-System-%7C-GTS%252d550.html

No, I believe that kind of system requires a sink/countertop penetration with it's own faucet.

AFAIK, typical household RO systems aren't meant for tasks like washing dishes. They simply don't provide enough pressure and volume (the flow is on par with something you'd see coming out of a water fountain). That's not to say you couldn't do it, but keep in mind that the reservoir on that system is only 3.2 gallons -- and that's probably not the actual water volume; the amount of actual water is most likely lower than that. Dishwashing would probably use all your RO water and it takes hours to refill the reservoir.

They do make undersink faucet filters that filter the water going into your regular faucet, but they are not as good as a full RO system in terms of making better tasting drinking water. Perhaps that and a countertop system would suit your needs?

mommy111
07-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you for your response! So then I wonder what people with RO systems do, if the pressure is not enough to wash dishes. Maybe get an over the counter system and then use it to rinse dishes AFTER you wash them, in which case we'll need much less water? Hmm, I had never thought of that....I wonder if that is what most people who use RO systems do with their water.

squimp
07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Not sure what pollutants you are removing. But these Brita faucet filters are good for drinking water and better than the pitchers, IMO. You can turn them to drinking water (which has low pressure) or unfiltered water for washing.

http://www.brita.com/products/faucet-filtration/

RO systems can waste a lot of water (http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1047w.htm) too, so you'll want to be prepared for higher bills. RO systems are often used where people have known contaminants in their water. It's not cheap.

If you're worried about lead (from pipes in your home), here's some ideas.
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/lead.html

Penny's Pappa
07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
So then I wonder what people with RO systems do, if the pressure is not enough to wash dishes.

They don't use the RO for their dishes; they just use regular tap. The RO is a side feed from the regular faucet, not a replacement for it.

Typically, RO systems are used by people who either don't like the taste of their water, or, as PPs have said, want to get rid of known contaminants in their water.

Do you have a particular concern that's making you want to use filtered water for your dishes?

mommy111
07-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Honestly, with the kids, I am just lead phobic. Also, we just moved into a new apartment building which is really old and I'm a little phobic about the water pipes etc. We end up just getting bottled water (with the plasticky taste) and the choice was between doing a cooler and the larger water containers vs a RO filter. The RO filter seems to be less expensive in the long run and also just more reliable....with the larger containers, I've found babysitters tend to aoid changing them if they'e nearing the end and would rather give the kids tap water. With the RO, it gets installed once and then you have a reliable source of clean filtered lead free or almost lead free water.
But I'm open to any and all suggestions :)

tiapam
07-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Does the faucet have a side sprayer your could live without? That would free up a hole on top of the sink for the RO faucet. I have not got a RO system yet but would really like one. I have a capped hole since I replaced the faucet and side spray with a single pull down. I do not plan to wash dishes with the filtered water. It will be for drinking and cooking.

squimp
07-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I would look into the Brita faucet filters I linked above. The filter is supposed to remove lead. I wouldn't worry about dish washing - the dishes don't hold that much water so your exposure is pretty low. It's the water for drinking and cooking that you would want to switch to the filter. It's like $30, and well worth a try. I haven't priced RO systems, but the ones I know of from Culligan here cost over $1K.

Penny's Pappa
07-25-2011, 12:13 AM
With the RO, it gets installed once and then you have a reliable source of clean filtered lead free or almost lead free water. But I'm open to any and all suggestions :)

But don't forget about the filters and membranes. Those are the most expensive components, over time, by far. Some RO membranes are upwards of $50-$100 or more, and they're just one of the components. Usually you have several step-wise filters before you get to the RO membrane and those aren't exactly a dime a dozen either.

First things first, I would have your water tested before you decide to invest much money into a complicated filtration system. Yes, lead leeching from pipeworks can be a legitimate concern, but until you have your water tested, you won't really know. You should be able to buy a kit at your local Lowes/Home Depot or send out a sample to a lab.

Otherwise, I would use something like a Brita pitcher/dispenser just for peace of mind at the very least. I know PPs have suggested faucet filters, but I haven't had much luck with them personally. The two PUR systems we had didn't last more than a couple months, but YMMV.