PDA

View Full Version : Help me function with a back spasm, please!

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 01:54 PM
OMG. On Thursday, two muscles under my trapezius went into spasm - the one that connects the shoulderblade to the spine (rhomboid minor) and the neck muscle that connects with it and goes up behind the ear (levator scapulae).

It kicked off a major migraine, and I was at the doctor's (rocking on the floor trying to stay ahead of the pain) for a couple of hours. I got a muscle relaxant shot, some migraine meds, and vicodin for the pain. While this stopped the migraine and cut my pain in about half, I hurt so much that I'm not functional.

DH ran home from work on Thurs and stayed home Fri, we didn't even get to sail this weekend. And I'm still not wholly functional - even with 1/2 a pain pill.

Please, if you have any tricks, exercises, etc., for muscles that are hurting, please tell me. I need to get this fixed asap.

If you don't have suggestions, please send a little good mojo. I have no help for this coming week and *must* be functional for my two guys.

brittone2
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
PM'd you.

Reyadawnbringer
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I will be watching for tips because my back started to spasm this morning and it is killing me.

jenfromnj
07-24-2011, 02:12 PM
No real advice, but wanted to send you some mojo! If the muscle relaxer shot helped, maybe your doctor can call in an Rx for some muscle relaxer pills?

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Beth - btw, your incoming message folder is full!

Jen, thanks for the mojo and the suggestion. The muscle relaxer shot helped, but only a little. Maybe I can call her tomorrow and ask for some. But maybe I should just take ibuprofen. I can't take those super-relaxing meds when I have the kids!

dogmom
07-24-2011, 03:18 PM
You need muscle relaxants if you have spasms. What did they give as an injection? If you have bad spasm you have to take the relaxants a couple of days in a row. I've tried flexaril and valium, and although valium has got a bad rep it's a much less "dirty" drug than flexaril. I find I can function fine on valium and I don't get that hangover effect. I usually take it at night, then NSAIDS round the clock.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
You need muscle relaxants if you have spasms. What did they give as an injection? If you have bad spasm you have to take the relaxants a couple of days in a row. I've tried flexaril and valium, and although valium has got a bad rep it's a much less "dirty" drug than flexaril. I find I can function fine on valium and I don't get that hangover effect. I usually take it at night, then NSAIDS round the clock.

Intramuscular injection of Toradol? Aladol? something like that. Frankly, I was crying with pain at the time and it could have been hemlock for all I knew.

Valium is not my favorite - tends to make me loopy and feel out of body, kwim? - but I'm sold on trying the NSAIDs.

Thank you!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
no real advice, just sending mojo that you feel better soon! i know the panic that sets in when you get really hurt and you are just scrambling to find ways to be functional to take care of kids all day.

like others i would suggest a muscle relaxant (i've taken that in the past when i had back spasms & severe sciatica pain due to spasming muscles), but those make me fall asleep, so it's a no-go for me if i have to take care of kids. i guess maybe NSAIDs? i know i usually have to take 600mg every 6 hrs or somethng to get the anti-inflammatory pain-relieving effect

sending more mojo!! :hug:

dogmom
07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Intramuscular injection of Toradol? Aladol? something like that. Frankly, I was crying with pain at the time and it could have been hemlock for all I knew.

Valium is not my favorite - tends to make me loopy and feel out of body, kwim? - but I'm sold on trying the NSAIDs.

Thank you!

Toradol is an IV NSAID, great for pain relief, but won't help relax the spasm. Like I said, taking one at night before sleep is always helpful for me in spasm. You might be groggy in the AM, it depends on the drug and you, but you should be able to function. Some people find heat helpful for spasm, but I never do. Ice is usually better for me.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought my doc said she was giving me a muscle relaxant, but while the pain was abated a little, the muscles certainly did not relax. Valium and I just don't. get. along.

I've been trying heat, but I think you're right about ice. I need a frozen golf ball or something to rub over the pressure points.

I'm going to try the 600-800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. I hope it works.

bubbaray
07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Can you get Robaxacet OTC in the US? My recollection is no? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methocarbamol

Its very very good. I can't drive when I take it, but I can work. If I take one at 8:30 or 9am, when I get to work, I am totally fine to drive home at 5pm or later.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-24-2011, 04:55 PM
need a frozen golf ball or something to rub over the pressure points.

when i got sciatica/piriformis syndrome really bad i would do a tennis ball against a wall, ,over the really tight areas. can hurt but it really helps "iron out" the kinks in the muscles.

i also have a Thera-Cane, to help massage my shoulders/neck muscles when they get really stiff.
http://www.amazon.com/Thera-Cane-JMAS5000-Massager/dp/B000PRMCJU

Tondi G
07-24-2011, 05:00 PM
alternate heat and ice.... ice as long as you can stand it... then apply heat and then back again. ice helps with the inflammation, heat helps to loosen up the muscles. Be really careful too when you have applied heat.... no sudden movements ... getting up or turning quickly... getting out the shower etc. cause that is when things are loose and can pull/strain. Hope the meds help you feel better/functional sooner than later.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you all very much. The ibuprofen is helping. Not quite sure how I'm going to get through tomorrow, but will be trying everything here.

:)

Melissa, wish I could call a Canadian pharmacy. That sounds great.

bubbaray
07-24-2011, 08:08 PM
You could probably order it online. I think it is sold in the US (wiki says which company in that link). It might require an Rx though. Its basically tylenol and a muscle relaxant. It works very well and isn't a narcotic.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 08:11 PM
OOOHHHHH.... It sounds so wonderful.

longtallsally05
07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I've lived with this recurring problem (hard, crunchy spots, tension, burning pain & occasional spasms) for about 13 yrs. In the past, I've had a couple of "trigger point" injections in my rhomboids. Once the dr used lidocaine, which felt great, and once they used sterile water, which didn't do much. I think the idea is that the injection itself is supposed to get the muscle to spasm then release the tension. The dr has to hit the knot just right, or it doesn't work. The injection with lidocaine worked exactly like it was supposed to, and I got immediate relief which lasted for about 4 hours. I'm not big on muscle relaxants, as you're not supposed to take them unless you can lie down & rest. Who has time for that? For long term improvement, I had to do physical therapy several times a week (once with the PT and then solo at home) with thera-bands to strengthen the muscles of my back. When I stop the exercises, the pain returns until I start up again. Moist heat & massage feels good, but doesn't do much in the long term, IME.

mytwosons
07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
BTDT. Thank goodness for Tordol.

I second the suggestions for Robaxacet. It takes the edge off, but I always need something stronger.

The theracane is great. I'm also a firm believer in the miracle balls. They are just little squishy balls that you lie on, but they really make the (deep) muscles relax. It can be painful at first, but they really are a miracle.

Good luck!

ThreeofUs
07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
"trigger point" injections in my rhomboids. *snip* Moist heat & massage feels good, but doesn't do much in the long term, IME.

Interesting. My doc suggested such injections, but I wasn't up for more pain. Maybe I'll see if I can get a lidocaine injection.

I second the suggestions for Robaxacet. It takes the edge off, but I always need something stronger.

The theracane is great. I'm also a firm believer in the miracle balls. They are just little squishy balls that you lie on, but they really make the (deep) muscles relax. It can be painful at first, but they really are a miracle.

I'll grab some of those miracle balls. Wish I could get some of the Robaxacet. Will have to ask my doc for it.

Thanks to all!

DrSally
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
So sorry!!! I personally don't go to a chiro, but I know others who do and swear by it. I hope it gets better FAST!