PDA

View Full Version : Apartment advice for fresh out of college SIL

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2011, 03:51 PM
My SIL and boyfriend of 3 years are going to get an apartment together in the city he just got a job in. She is debating between an apartment complex or something like a row house that has units for rent. I've lived in both kinds and they are pretty equal to me, assuming management is good and location logistics are comparable. But, I'd love to hear more feedback since she is looking for advice on where to start. Thanks!!

Beth

lalasmama
07-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Here's my somewhat dorky thought process:

Do an apartment/flat... because its always easier to move up in size, but it SUCKS to have move down in size if something happens.

My like-a-DSD has moved into her first apartment/townhouse. It's 1100sqft, 2 bed, 1.5 baths, good sized bedrooms and kitchen, obviously lots of space. And should her and Mr Wonderful not make it, or if she's left supporting herself and Mr Wonderful, they will end up having to go from a beautiful, lovely townhouse to something in a "less desirable" complex, in a worse part of town, and, likely, feel a little hurt, discouraged, and mad that they had to "go backwards" instead of moving forward/up when it's time to move. I know what I'm trying to say, but it's not coming out well.... Basically, more modest home now allows for a gradual, more stable moving up as appropriate.

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Here's my somewhat dorky thought process:

Do an apartment/flat... because its always easier to move up in size, but it SUCKS to have move down in size if something happens.

My like-a-DSD has moved into her first apartment/townhouse. It's 1100sqft, 2 bed, 1.5 baths, good sized bedrooms and kitchen, obviously lots of space. And should her and Mr Wonderful not make it, or if she's left supporting herself and Mr Wonderful, they will end up having to go from a beautiful, lovely townhouse to something in a "less desirable" complex, in a worse part of town, and, likely, feel a little hurt, discouraged, and mad that they had to "go backwards" instead of moving forward/up when it's time to move. I know what I'm trying to say, but it's not coming out well.... Basically, more modest home now allows for a gradual, more stable moving up as appropriate.

Good point! I think financially and size and quality wise they are comparable. The complex vs stand alones wouldn't really be any different in those regards.

Beth

ha98ed14
07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Garden style apartments (flats) in a complex have less privacy. We lived in a pretty nice one when DD was born. They all faced a common courtyard with a big lawn/ greenspace and a swimming pool. There were trees too, so part of the lawn area was shaded. All that said, everyone knew your business, when you came and went; if you had any kind of "heated" discussion, the whole complex knew about it. This was not necessarily because the walls were thinner than in a row house, but simply because they all face each other around the courtyard AND everyone could see you coming and going through their front windows. IME, a row house facing the street felt like it had a bit more privacy and anonymity, like a regular house. That's my experience.

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
The apartments I have lived in have been high rises so the garden style perspective is helpful. Thanks!!

Beth

Tondi G
07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
My only advise is to get something on the ground floor. If she doesn't have laundry in her apt. then she'll have to carry it all up and down stairs on a regular basis as well as groceries etc. Otherwise an apartment is an apartment. If she was living alone I would say live somewhere that your neighbors will see more of your comings and goings ... I think it's a little safer that way. If they have any option to try to talk to a few of their potential neighbors about the neighborhood/area, the neighbors, the management etc I would say do it... maybe visit the places in the day and the evening if possible.

ellies mom
07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
If all things are equal cost-wise, than for me it is all about location, location, location. They are young. They don't have kids. They should live near the stuff they enjoy. When I was single, I loved being able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, corner stores and what-not (well, I love that now too). On my days off, I could park my car and not drive anywhere. It was great. It sucks to have to get into a car to get anywhere.

wendmatt
07-24-2011, 06:12 PM
If all things are equal cost-wise, than for me it is all about location, location, location. They are young. They don't have kids. They should live near the stuff they enjoy. When I was single, I loved being able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, corner stores and what-not (well, I love that now too). On my days off, I could park my car and not drive anywhere. It was great. It sucks to have to get into a car to get anywhere.

Yes and an apartment would prob have a pool and amenities that the house would not. If it was a nice apartment complex I'd go with that, then it's more exciting to move up to a house when you are ready.

hillview
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
I would be considering safety as well. Ground floor sounds like break in material to me (I am a city girl). I'd want something that was well lit at night and safe. Me wandering home after a night out in my 20s was not super safe.

wellyes
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
If she lives in an older city, definitely a house that has a little character. Apt complexes are like big fancy dorms.

ashleybama24
07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Does she have a job yet? I think that would affect my decision since I think it's only fair to split rent with a boyfriend based on % of income instead of 50-50. Cost of living would be a huge deciding factor for me especially just starting out after college.

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2011, 08:21 PM
If she lives in an older city, definitely a house that has a little character. Apt complexes are like big fancy dorms.

I still enjoyed my big complex...it was like living in a fancy hotel. :)

Does she have a job yet? I think that would affect my decision since I think it's only fair to split rent with a boyfriend based on % of income instead of 50-50. Cost of living would be a huge deciding factor for me especially just starting out after college.

Not yet but it's not a big concern. Her parents will help her till needed and his family is quite comfortable and willing to help as well. They both have fantastic heads on their shoulders and won't spend more than they should. SIL is one of the most responsible, level headed people I know...very mature for her age.

Yes and an apartment would prob have a pool and amenities that the house would not. If it was a nice apartment complex I'd go with that, then it's more exciting to move up to a house when you are ready.

I like that idea. That's how I felt too. The duplex we rented was a nice baby step to a real house.

True, indeed!!

Missed a quote- ground level always seemed less safe to me to so I'd probably steer her away, even if she has to carry stuff.

Beth

ashleybama24
07-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I would definitely recommend the big complex. It will have the amenities like a pool, gym, business center etc as well as possible activities like mixers to meet other residents. It will probably have a younger demographic and will be a better way to make friends in their new city.

mommy111
07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
We've loved the complexes...the amenities are definitely a huge attraction, and even if you're not able to walk to other places, you have a community there in itself and common areas to wander about in. That said, I would probably steer her towards a 3rd floor or higher apartment because of the safety profile.