PDA

View Full Version : Do you own an otoscope?

Pinky
07-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Do you have an otoscope for home use? Just wondering how practical these are and if they can be properly used to prevent unneeded trips to the doctor for suspected ear infections. Not sure if it's advisable to use these at home or not, I'm thinking our pediatrician would advise against them but I think I'll ask next time just to see what she thinks.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, and there are really good ones out there (in Walmart of all place, I think) for home-use. Dx'ing ear infections is an art, but this plus some experience will help you.

ohiomom1121
07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes, that Dr. Mom one from Walmart is great. I'm an audiologist and had a professional travel one and I can see better with the Dr. Mom than it. I use it a ton for my older two. Using it on the baby is nearly impossible though.

mnosky1
07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I do and it's saved me a ton of trips plus convinced me to take the kids when I'd otherwise wait it out. I take it on vacation too- the last place I want to be unecessairly on vacation is urgent care! I do not prescribe for my own kids. I also do not do peds or even internal med so never use an otoscope in my daily practice so I dint really have much professional practice with ears. My older daughter was tough but my younger one loves having me check her ears. My husband actually did a better job with ears than me and I'd hold our older DDs head while he looked. We have had a plastic kind designed for families and a professional pocket scope and they both were fine.

Melaine
07-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, but I don't know where I put mine! It belonged to my grandfather who was an ENT.

lalasmama
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't have one that I own, however, I have access to one whenever I need it, from work, that I can bring home. Usually I just drag DD into my office, and when a prescriber sees her there, they offer up a script if we need one.

boltfam
07-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I do and it's saved me a ton of trips plus convinced me to take the kids when I'd otherwise wait it out. I take it on vacation too- the last place I want to be unecessairly on vacation is urgent care!.

:yeahthat:

whitethomas
09-02-2011, 03:10 AM
I have one that I use all the time. I got it at a medical supplies store (http://www.meridianhealthstore.com) online. It was very affordable and has saved me lots of trips to urgent care with the kids!

wendibird22
09-02-2011, 08:39 AM
We do but we don't use it often. Thankfully DD1 doesn't get EIs very often and DD2 won't sit still long enough for us to use it on her. She's great for the ped but not for us.

swissair81
09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't, but my father owns one (and my parents live around the corner).

Melaine
09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I found mine! It was in the tool closet? Now if only I knew how to use it.

gobadgers
09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't have an otoscope, but I've always been tempted to get one. I have zero medical training - does it take a ton of experience to know what you're looking at? Does something look obviously red and inflamed if its infected?

Bens Momma
09-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I have an otoscope (I think it's a Summer Infant one) that came with various size tips and a good manual, but I've found it hard to use. I got this middle ear monitor a couple years ago and it has been a lifesaver! I really like it, easy to use, and has been really accurate when I suspected ear infections with the kids. It's even helpful as a follow-up after they've had an infection and I'm wondering if it totally cleared up. I didn't have it when they were infants, but I think it would be tough to get a good reading on an infant. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bush-EC-1-Earcheck-Middle-Monitor/dp/B000FJCRJI

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

kijip
09-13-2011, 03:31 AM
We do but only because we inherited my FILs black doctor bag from when he was an family doctor intern making house calls!