PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend your slow cooker

HIU8
07-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I dropped and shattered mine this morning (see bitching post). It was a 5 qt with a stoneware insert. I wanted a larger one, so I guess now is my chance. It was a rival. I know nothing other than I want something bigger than 5 quarts and I would like it to be electronic controls (not dial). Any recommendations?

Naranjadia
07-25-2011, 09:58 AM
This is what I have and it works perfectly: Hamilton Beach Set&Go: http://www.consumersearch.com/slow-cookers/hamilton-beach-set-n-forget-33967

But it is only 6qts, so not much of an upgrade in size for you!

I bought it after having an AllClad (not the William-Sonoma version, the Amazon version) that was a nightmare - everything desiccated by the end of cooking, a poor seal that the manufacturer claimed to fix but didn't etc.

So I was overjoyed to have on that actually works. However, this one is also more versatile in terms of time of cooking, etc.

Dream
07-25-2011, 01:02 PM
How many ppl would a 6qt feed?

Naranjadia
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Normally, 6-8 people. Big portions, 4-6.

HIU8
07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I want at least a 6 qt. 5 was just to small. I'm hoping for a 7 qt (we like leftovers).

elliput
07-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I have this model (6.5qt) - http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCVT650-PS-2-Quart-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615392&sr=8-3 and have been very pleased with it.

ETA- Cook's Illustrated/Cook's Country reviewed touch screen slow cookers last summer (Aug 2010)- the model I linked to was given their "Highly Recommended" status.

ThreeofUs
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
I just looked on CR, and they thought these were "very good" electronic versions:
All Clad 99005
Rival Crock-Pot SCVC604H-SS
Hamilton Beach Set 'N Forget 33967
Cuisinart PSC-650
Rival Crock-Pot VersaWare Pro SCV1600B-SS

They also like the All Clads, but those are a lot more expensive and seem to have some issues.

But, hmmm, these ratings are from 2008, so take with a grain of salt.

ETA: Amazon has the Cuisinart 6.5 at a good price
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PSC-650-2-Quart-Programmable-Cooker/dp/B000VA48PM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615902&sr=8-1

AnnieW625
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a 6 qt. oval programmable Rival Crock Pot (http://www.crock-pot.com/Product.aspx?cid=113&pid=8860) that has the number of hours you can set it at (4 or 6 on high, and 8 or 10 on low), but I really want one that has a timer where I can tell it to cook from 10 AM to 4 PM or 2 PM to 6 PM so I can start making recipes that don't require 8 to 10 hrs. to cook because I leave the house at 6:45 am and don't get back until at least 5 pm. If anyone has one of those I'd like to hear your recs. too (sorry for the hijack; I was actually thinking of posting this same ?!)

I have heard great things about the Hamilton Beach one the PP linked above.

ETA: I would actually prefer a round crock for storage reasons, but our 6 qt. can handle A LOT of food; I can't see needing one that is bigger than that, but then I don't go cooking a lot of pot roast or big beef portions in mine because I don't like pot roast, stew, or pretty much any beef that isn't BBQ slow cooker beef, or cooked on a grill.

Dream
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Normally, 6-8 people. Big portions, 4-6.

Thank you. I'm looking for our first slow cooker, will keep an eye on this thread.

boltfam
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I have this model (6.5qt) - http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCVT650-PS-2-Quart-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615392&sr=8-3 and have been very pleased with it.

ETA- Cook's Illustrated/Cook's Country reviewed touch screen slow cookers last summer (Aug 2010)- the model I linked to was given their "Highly Recommended" status.

LOVE this slow cooker! The lid to my Rival shattered a couple of months ago, and I had come to the boards looking for recs and decided on the one elliput linked to above. My old slow cooker burned everything, and my new one is awesome! Everything comes out tasting great without the slightly burnt taste I became accustomed to with my Rival. The Hamilton Beach one was my 2nd choice.

You can get his model at BB&B for about $75 after the 20% coupons they always have floating around.

ThreeofUs
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCVT650-PS-2-Quart-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615392&sr=8-3

Looks really great, Elliput and Boltfam.

Camelcamelcamel says this has only gone down to $77ish, so I may have to visit BBB sometime soon. :)

AnnieW625
07-25-2011, 03:35 PM
LOVE this slow cooker! The lid to my Rival shattered a couple of months ago, and I had come to the boards looking for recs and decided on the one elliput linked to above. My old slow cooker burned everything, and my new one is awesome! Everything comes out tasting great without the slightly burnt taste I became accustomed to with my Rival. The Hamilton Beach one was my 2nd choice.

You can get his model at BB&B for about $75 after the 20% coupons they always have floating around.

So is this one of the ones that will let you set the timer, and then it will automatically switch to low? I think this kind would work for me too as long as the keep warm setting wasn't so hot and therefore won't get burned if my stuff had to spend up to 6 hrs. on the keep warm setting.

boltfam
07-25-2011, 03:53 PM
So is this one of the ones that will let you set the timer, and then it will automatically switch to low? I think this kind would work for me too as long as the keep warm setting wasn't so hot and therefore won't get burned if my stuff had to spend up to 6 hrs. on the keep warm setting.

Yeah, that's what is so great about it! It switches to warm automatically. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on slow cookers when trying to decide. I read somewhere (cannot remember where) that most slow cookers cook too hot. According to their test, this one did not cook too hot nor is the warm feature too hot. I have found this to be true; whereas, with my old one, it didn't matter if I cooked it for four hours or eight- it burnt everything. I think you would like it. :) However, I think it will only let you keep it on warm for 2 hours.

ETA: I actually think it sells at BB&B for $65 before tax instead of the $75 I posted earlier. Yup, here it is:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16313017

Dream
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM

So does this model give you the option of delayed start? I would have to setup before I leave for work but then I don't want it cooking till I get home.

hannah
07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
I just looked on CR, and they thought these were "very good" electronic versions:
All Clad 99005
Rival Crock-Pot SCVC604H-SS
Hamilton Beach Set 'N Forget 33967
Cuisinart PSC-650
Rival Crock-Pot VersaWare Pro SCV1600B-SS

They also like the All Clads, but those are a lot more expensive and seem to have some issues.

But, hmmm, these ratings are from 2008, so take with a grain of salt.

ETA: Amazon has the Cuisinart 6.5 at a good price
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PSC-650-2-Quart-Programmable-Cooker/dp/B000VA48PM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615902&sr=8-1

I have the 4 qt and 6.5 qt cuisinart. I like them but I use the 4qt more often. I find the 6.5 qt one to be huge and heavy! And don't drop the inserts, as they are pricey to replace. I broke the 4qt insert recently and it was about 1/2 the price of a new one.

Pyrodjm
07-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Have this one and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33133H-Cooker-White/dp/B000R8C7TW/ref=pd_sbs_k_8
I love being able to choose which size crock to use depending on the meal. Since they nest it saves on storage space.

boltfam
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
So does this model give you the option of delayed start? I would have to setup before I leave for work but then I don't want it cooking till I get home.

Hmm. I'll have to look through my owner's manual. I'll re-post when I get the chance.

Dream
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCVT650-PS-2-Quart-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311615392&sr=8-3

Looks really great, Elliput and Boltfam.

Camelcamelcamel says this has only gone down to $77ish, so I may have to visit BBB sometime soon. :)

Is this same slow cooker available in a small size? We're a family of 4 and I think 6.5Qt might bw too big for us even if we save the left overs for the following day. I'm planning on making a trip to BBB today.

ThreeofUs
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Is this same slow cooker available in a small size? We're a family of 4 and I think 6.5Qt might bw too big for us even if we save the left overs for the following day. I'm planning on making a trip to BBB today.

Yeah, I think it is. GL!

daisymommy
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Ummm, I'm confused by your question. Slow cooker meals are meant to cook all day, like 8 hrs. If you didn't get it cooking till you got home, your food wouldn't be done until the next morning.

AnnieW625
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I think it is. GL!

Cool, I too think that our 6 qt. slow cooker is too big for our family of four. I can easily cook a BBQ pork shoulder roast or a 2.5lb bag of Trader Joe's chicken breasts in ours and it's plenty of space.

Ummm, I'm confused by your question. Slow cooker meals are meant to cook all day, like 8 hrs. If you didn't get it cooking till you got home, your food wouldn't be done until the next morning.

Yeah that is true, but when you don't like conventional crock pot recipes like stew or pot roast (yes I know I might have been born on another planet; my family doesn't get it either!), and it's too hot to eat a big pot of soup that take 8 to 10 hrs. to cook a lot of the other crock pot recipes I have found esp. those that have chicken take between 4 and 6 hrs. to cook so a delay setting (like the one on the washing machine!) would be awesome!:)

Dream
07-27-2011, 06:31 PM

I think I saw some recipies that gives 6hrs cooking time and if you're gone 8-10 hrs a delayed start would be useful.

boltfam
07-28-2011, 12:10 AM
So, my owner's manuals need to be organized in a major way. I finally found it, and this unit does NOT have a delay setting. However, it does automatically shift to warm and will stay on warm for up to 4 hours, and then it will shut off.

Here is the online instruction manual: http://www.crock-pot.com/Manuals/MANUALS/SCVT650-PS_43_15067326.PDF

boltfam
07-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I think I saw some recipies that gives 6hrs cooking time and if you're gone 8-10 hrs a delayed start would be useful.

So, this might still work for you then if it cooks for 6 hrs. and stays on warm for 4hrs.

kijip
07-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I have a 6.5 qt and am wishing it was an 8qt. I would say go 7 or above for sure!

Here is an 8qt one: http://www.amazon.com/SCV803-SS-Stainless-Cooker-Little-Dipper/dp/B004DF0CBA/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1311826875&sr=1-17

I have an older Kenmore branded model and I don't know who made it. It is fine and long lasting, I just wish it were bigger.

kijip
07-28-2011, 12:27 AM

If I am making a red sauce or a soup, I love the delayed start. 6-8 hours on for those can burn it up and leave a dark taste. I prefer to dump my ingredients in and set it to start cooking about 4 hours before dinner, which is usually a start time of about 2pm and I am not home most days at 2pm.

daisymommy
07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Just a caution then! Don't leave meat in it, if it will be sitting there all day long, without cooking.
Only something vegetarian like veggie soup and veggie broth would be okay to put in the morning and not start cooking until a few hours before you get home.

Dream
07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Just a caution then! Don't leave meat in it, if it will be sitting there all day long, without cooking.
Only something vegetarian like veggie soup and veggie broth would be okay to put in the morning and not start cooking until a few hours before you get home.

So true, it skipped my mind.

I know they have lot of different models but I can't figure out which one is same as this model but smaller capacity. If anyone's familiar with it, can you please recommend?

What's the downfall of having a large capacity? Can I still cook smaller portions?

AnnieW625
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
So true, it skipped my mind.

I know they have lot of different models but I can't figure out which one is same as this model but smaller capacity. If anyone's familiar with it, can you please recommend?

What's the downfall of having a large capacity? Can I still cook smaller portions?

I find no real downfall in having a larger capacity one, it just takes up a lot of room storage wise. I think if I pull the plug and get a new crock pot then I'll most likely get one of these two Crock Pot 6/1/2 qt. (http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCVT650-PS-2-Quart-Programmable-Stainless/product-reviews/B001KVZTFO/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending) because of all of the good reviews or this one from Hamilton Beach (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Forget-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1311866942&sr=1-1).

I guess the idea of a delay start crock pot is probably too good to be true

Dream
07-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Annie, I keep going back and forth between those 2 models too. Price difference is huge but I can't figure out which features are different. I'm cluless regards to slow cookers.

HIU8
07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I ended up getting the rival 6.5 quart slow cooker with the eLume (basically a digital pad with countdown timer. I'm using it today for it's maiden meal of beef stew.

boltfam
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Annie, I keep going back and forth between those 2 models too. Price difference is huge but I can't figure out which features are different. I'm cluless regards to slow cookers.

I find no downfall to having a larger slow cooker. We are a family of four, so I do make small portions in it. However, I like having a big one to have the option of making a big roast if we're having company over.

I decided against the Hamilton Beach one that is linked to, b/c there were quite a few too many reviews that said the machine would spontaneously shut off and the food would be ruined. Nothing ticks me off more than coming home to a cold, spoiled dinner when I thought I was going to have a warm, already prepared dinner.

boltfam
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I ended up getting the rival 6.5 quart slow cooker with the eLume (basically a digital pad with countdown timer. I'm using it today for it's maiden meal of beef stew.

I hope you love it as much as I do! Mmmm...stew sounds wonderful!

Dream
07-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I just came home with the Rival 6.5 qt, will try it tonight or tomorrow.