PDA

View Full Version : panicky new mom

Serepta
07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Ok, so I'm absolutely NOT complaining about this - just wanted to see if I'm doing things right. My 2 month old has been sleeping a good 5-6 hour stretch at night for the past week. Like I said - not complaining! My only concern is that she seems to be pretty sleepy during the morning hours of the day too, and generally eats very little during this time (I am nursing). But, in the afternoon and into the late evening she eats more or less constantly, so she is getting the typical 8 feedings in a 24 hour period, but they're kind of smushed together. She is having regular bowel movements and is putting on weight, so I guess I shouldn't be concerned, but I'm worried about the fact that she's going long stretches without eating, or at least without eating a substantial amount. I really consider myself lucky to have gotten a good night's sleep myself for the last few weeks, it just seems very early for her to be sleeping so long, after what I've heard from everyone else, and I want to make sure she is eating enough. When she was first born she would sleep very long stretches and the pediatrician told me to not let her go more than 4 hours without a feeding even if it meant waking her up, but I wasn't sure how long to continue with that.

BabyBearsMom
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
It is called cluster feeding and count yourself lucky that she is doing it. When my DD was around that age, she would nurse every other hour during the day and then sleep through the night. It was exhausting to nurse so much, but the sleep was lovely. As long as she is putting on weight and has the soiled diapers, you have nothing to worry about.